Good pocket size spotlight?

bolts

Newly Enlightened
Like the title says, I'd love to hear some suggestions fo a good thrower.

I'd like it to be 123 or 18650 size.

Price should be reasonable so under $100.

Also I've noticed most of the P7s surfacing seem to be flood is there a reason for that?

Looking forward to some input....

TIA everyone

bolts

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also I've noticed most of the P7s surfacing seem to be flood is there a reason for that?

The die area is huge compared to Cree and SSC, which reduces throw.

Lumapower MRV
Tiablo A8 or A9
Raidfire Spear
Dereelight DBS

HKJ

Flashaholic
I have a Tiablo A9 and agree with LukeA that it is a good thrower.

But do your really want a light that is only a thrower, if your want a more general purpose flashlight, something like the Fenix TK10 might be better, it also has a good throw (but not as good as A9), but it also has a good spill.

GPB

Enlightened
How about the Lowe's Task Force ? Its a 2xC format with an optic, that is $29.00. Its build quality isn't Surefire level or anything...but it can throw, its cheap, available at a local store, and uses readily available batteries.

bolts

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Is "old model" still available?

Is the aspheric lens a mod?

any link or thread would be great! :thumbsup:

As for the Jet Beam it seems the MK3 would be the way to go...

bolts

Lumapower M1 old model with an aspheric lens, it throws like crazy and uses 1x18650

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
most of the import lights use a large reflector to increase throw, which kind of goes against the ability for the lights to be pocket carried.

Spend a little more and you can get a E2DL that has great throw and brightness with a compact profile.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What kind of pocket? Hoe much throw?

The P7 has a larger emitting surface. Larger emitting surface = Larger reflector needed for a throwy beam.

The Dereelight DBS is a out of you price range and not really that pocketable.

cv3po

Banned
I know this isn't the most powerful light out there but I'm pretty happy with my Surefire E1B. Rated at 80 lumens (and SF is known to be conservative so these are "real" lumens) and using a high quality optic it throws REALLY well. It also has a nice, useable low mode that will take care of most tasks and has a rated runtime of 37 hours. Combine this with a beautiful clip, top-o-the-line quality and SF's lifetime warranty and it's a pretty useful little pocket spotlight...................................

bolts

Newly Enlightened
Ok let's broaden the possibilities and say 2C cell mag sized, but preferably a tad smaller seeing as to how throw is limited by reflector size.

That should open up a few doors... does that bring any 2 inch maximum head diameter models into the picture?

That might not be pocket sized but still pocketable :twothumbs

bolts
Depends on how big your pockets are :crackup:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main throwers, listed in reverse throw order by LukeA, are out of your price range if you don't want to buy used or from ebay. The Tiablo MA6 is $90, much more pocketable than the A9 or any other major thrower, and has nearly as much throw as the A9.

If pocketable is worth more than throw, the Jet-II takes only a single RCR and puts out an impressive 11K lux at 1m. For reference, in thousands of lux at 1m:

Dereelight DBS 29
Raidfire Spear 25
Tiablo A9 20
Tiablo MA6 16
JETBeam JET-II IBS 11

The DBS runs just under an hour, the Jet-II runs about 20 minutes, and the rest run around an hour and a half.

There are reviews on all of these at light-reviews.com, and a review by myself on the MA6 at light-reviews.com/forum.

Last edited:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
in that case make your own, parts should come out to around 100 dollars.

it will destroy most of the lights on the market.

1c maglite, P7 LED, DD with 1 C size Li-Ion battery.

100_0165.jpg

100_0167.jpg

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd love to do that if I knew how. Do you have any more info on it? Like Where to buy the parts and how to make it?

bolts

Newly Enlightened
I saw the stubby 1 D cell lithium mod somewhere in the forums... very nice!

A one c cell version would be a bit more compact and cheaper...

I just ordered a few c cell mh cells and a maha charger and I'm planning on getting the elektrolumens 3 c cell mag conversion for a monster thrower and I've ordered a few 123 and 18650 lights from dealextreme along with chargers and batteries.

Still would like a good compact light that will spot really really far even if it has to do only that to do it well.

bolts

100_0165.jpg

100_0167.jpg