Long Throwers- American Built/Designed?

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
I am ready to get a torch for some serious throw. I have looked at big box store spotlights (difficult to find up here) and HID's (too costly for the moment). Decided to get something in 18650 configuration. Have read reviews on the Lumapower MRV and Dereelight DBS and others. Looking for something with big smooth reflectors, big batteries, newer emitters.

Construction, finish, and warranty are all important. Is there an American made torch I should be looking at? Does Surefire make something like that?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Streamlight has the Supertac and pelican has the 7060. But I don't know how they compares to the DBS, A8/A9, or MRV.

I think there were a few more American designed LED throwers.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
My Ameriican made throwers are Ledean's aspheric light, Malkoff's 3D mag drop in, And Electrolumen's Monster throw.

The Aspheric has the farthest throw, but has the least useful spill for close up work. The Malkoff has a balance of throw and spill, Great all around use. The Electrolumen throws as wall of flight, it is my emergency light. But the greatest feeling I get from the three lights is that I know that I help a fellow American.

GTO_04

Newly Enlightened
The Eveready/Energizer 9101IND will throw a mile.

That is true. Try finding a battery for it though!

How would the Striker VG throw compared to the other lights mentioned here? Is the collimator optic better than a reflector as they claim?

GTO_04

MarkIAlbert

Newly Enlightened
IIRC, the Peak First Responder is supposed to have decent throw.

Most of the multi-led handhelds sacrifice throw for flood - the small reflectors for each LED just don't do what you'd like done. I have a MT-4 (Elektrolumens), and Peak 1st Responder. I love both, but not for real throw.

I might hold out until single lamp P7s hit the street a bit harder. Inside the right mirror (and/or with the right lens), you should be able to get good throw with that.

For really great throw, I might suggest you look at one of the 35watt HID solutions. I have a Microfire Warrior III and an Amondotech. Both out throw all of my LED based lights (and I have some really nice ones) - combined.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh.

Fair cop, probably. Designed, yes; made, maybe not.

Eveready bought the biggest flashlight maker in Hong Kong that designed and made most flashlights for Energizer for decades. Yes, it is designed and made by American owned company:)

Alan

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh wow! Any estimate on pricing?
I will have several options for people to chose from such as carbon fiber bezel, AR coat and a few other things and as yet do not have anything pinned down as far as price. Expect a "base" model to be around $130 shipped to the lower 48. I will open a thread about it in the proper forum when the time comes.