Help with troubleshooting Coast 1aa LED lenser

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the Coast 1AA LED lenser from CostCo as a beater light. I typically keep it in my gym bag so I always have a light at the gym.

A few weeks ago I dropped it to the ground and it refused to turn on. I swapped it for a new battery and it lit up. Then I put in the old battery and it still worked.

Last night I dropped it on the ground again (beater light doesn't get the best care), and it refused to turn on this time even with a new battery.

I can see no obvious damage to the internals.

Anyone know why this light is so fickle and now won't turn on? Is it toast or can I do something to try to fix it? :thinking:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Certain Coast models (and this is one of them) have the LED mounted on a brass heatsink, with the negative leg of the LED sort of spot welded to to it. For the positive, a wire comes up through a hole in the heatsink and is soldered to the positive lead on the LED. This tiny solder point will sometimes crack from a good fall. Another area I've seen fail after a fall is where the positive battery contact spring is soldered the the pcb (up inside the battery tube). The head of the light will unscrew.. I used a small rubber strap wrench on mine. Overall, these lights survive falls very well... but it only takes that one perfect hit! :oops:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks very much FlashCrazy. I am very glad CostCo stands behind their products, so I returned it without any problems. :)