NDI Anatomy w/ pictures

AyeMayanor

Enlightened
My NDI was perfect in every way but for a fingerprint on the emitter dome.

The pliers I normally use for opening lights were too large to fit the small notches of the light engine but, after consulting another CPFer, I tried my tweezers. Success! I used the cross locking kind and had to bend them out a bit.

I put a rubber washer over the head to help with gripping, positioned the tweezers and used a hairdryer on it for about 15 seconds.

anatomyNDI.jpg

The light engine was glued but not a lot, and the glue had a rubbery consistency rather than solid like cured threadlocker or super glue.

Not pictured is the silicone o-ring that goes in the groove inside the head before the lens. (Note the sharpie "F" on the front so I reassemble correctly.) The plastic washer lays flush in the indent on the back of the reflector. Not sure of the purpose, perhaps someone else knows?

Lens diameter is 18mm.

Reflector dimensions: 18mm x 14mm

Disclaimer: Do NOT do this to your NDI or any light unless you are qualified to do so and are willing to accept responsibility for potential damage. Doing this will void the manufacturer AND retailer warranty! I did this for my own purposes and have posted the above information because I thought others would find it educational.

Update: Measurements added.

Last edited:

yekim

Enlightened
Re: NDI Anatomy

The washer I think for preventing shorting out the LED by the reflector. I have seen similar pieces on several other similarly built lights.

Can't wait for the closeups.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the post and the heads-up. :wave: Nice job! :thumbsup: I may give it a go.

yekim

Enlightened

Stefan, may I inquire as to what happened to the light? Did you replace the board?

Interesting to see that they forcefully removed the markings from the IC chips.

Last edited:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Stefan, may I inquire as to what happened to the light? Did you replace the board?

Interesting to see that they forcefully removed the markings from the IC chips.

It ceased to function as intended. I have had bad luck, that's all. The majority of NDI's works as they should. My first specimen ceased to work with NiMH and then it locked itself into strobe. EDGE TAC graciously sent me a replacement that repeated that behaviour. I have taken out two drivers from NDI's and the components are glued and the markings are sanded off.

I replaced it with what is called an RV7 driver (Dealextreme SKU: 7880) modded to one level. I'm looking to replace that one with another, more efficient, boost driver (sold on DX as SKU: 7882).