Kroma Milspec with white, red, green-yellow, blue and uv

Wes_Robinson

Newly Enlightened
if enough people contact surefire, maybe we can get them to make a milspec kroma with uv leds instead of ir, it should be only a matter of swapping out 4 leds, for them.

Wes_Robinson

Newly Enlightened
true but it's worth a shot, and im not sure about modding such a light myself, or having someone else do it, if the light gets damaged later on in life, they probly wouldnt repair it or exchange it.

sirahren

Newly Enlightened
SWAP the blue for the UV. That would be more helpful. I would guess more and more people will be able to use IR as Night Vision products continue to drop in price.

Not to mention the military people probably use the IR. I mean we are talking about the MILspec...

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
UV would actually be useful for LEO use (as opposed to military use) for checking licenses, ID cards, currency, etc.

However, I don't see SureFire being interested in a third version of this light. It's been out for three years and if market demand was sufficient I think it'd already be available. If you want a different configuration, I think you need to mod it or find someone to do it for you.

Wes_Robinson

Newly Enlightened
being honest i would love the milspec if it had white, red, green, blue, uv and ir and heck a laser pointer to buti dont see it happening. whats the actual link to rscandy kroma mod, i found one but the pics arent there.

darknessemitter

Enlightened
if enough people contact surefire, maybe we can get them to make a milspec kroma with uv leds instead of ir, it should be only a matter of swapping out 4 leds, for them.

I would suggest asking Surefire to make the NON-milspec version white/red/UV. Most non military people probably have less use for the blue leds, while military personel would probably have less use for UV.

If you look at the milspec, it's pretty much optimized for military use: red preserving human nightvision and stealth, IR and green for use with and around nightvision equipment, blue for bloodtracking (and I believe someone said for checking corneas for damage). Dropping the IR for UV would probably make it less suited for military use, since they probably don't spend a lot of time in the field trying to get stuff to fluoresce.

Wes_Robinson

Newly Enlightened
agreed, only reason i say milspec is because thats it's name, im in the airforce and i only use white, red and ir, but im looking at something outside the military there lights are covered, but what about csi techs, law inforcement, non destructive testing, white and uv are a most for them, red, green and blue are just bonus. moreover, if they made the kroma milspec with uv in stead of ir, they could add a ir flip lens. this would allow the military user to use his bright white light in ir. Also with the cover theres o chance of any other light escaping, giving away location, and or runing night vision.

darknessemitter

Enlightened
agreed, only reason i say milspec is because thats it's name, im in the airforce and i only use white, red and ir, but im looking at something outside the military there lights are covered, but what about csi techs, law inforcement, non destructive testing, white and uv are a most for them, red, green and blue are just bonus. moreover, if they made the kroma milspec with uv in stead of ir, they could add a ir flip lens. this would allow the military user to use his bright white light in ir. Also with the cover theres o chance of any other light escaping, giving away location, and or runing night vision.

The only problem with the IR flip lens is that a white led doesn't generate much IR or even visible red in the first place.

I'm not sure if I got mixed up about the law enforcement and csi tech part, but if they mainly need white and UV, wouldn't that be covered by changing the non-milspec version to white/red/UV? Or would they still need blue in some cases?

EVAN_TAD

Newly Enlightened
Where do you think the U2 series came from? I believe the original Darpa variation had all colors. red, white, blue, green, ir, uv.

Wes_Robinson

Newly Enlightened
ic, but wouldnt the ir flip lens take any white light and convert it to ir, and since its not 4 ir leds, but one power white led, wouldnt that mean more ir light. and in regrads to the csi and leo, your right white, red and uv would be just fine, but since the kroma milspec has green-yellow, and blue, its just bonus. im sure theres a use for those colours. so there is or was a u2 light with, white, red, green, blue, ir and uv. or was it only a trial. maybe a kroma with white, red, uv and ir would solve the problme but then some perfer green for night vision, and blue for im not quite sure.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
wouldnt the ir flip lens take any white light and convert it to ir,

No, it takes away the other wavelengths but it can't "convert" what isn't there, and most LEDs have little or no output in the IR range. So, if you put an IR filter on a white LED, you're going to get...darkness. Incans do put out decent radiation in the IR range, which is why the IR filters work with the incan lights.

Wes_Robinson

Newly Enlightened
ic, thats makes sense now, hmm. is there anyone who has one of these Darpa lights with white, red, green, blue, ir and uv. with pics and beam shots.

darknessemitter

Enlightened
No, it takes away the other wavelengths but it can't "convert" what isn't there, and most LEDs have little or no output in the IR range. So, if you put an IR filter on a white LED, you're going to get...darkness. Incans do put out decent radiation in the IR range, which is why the IR filters work with the incan lights.

However, the IR flip filter might be a good option with one of those incan/red led lights... um I think one of them is the "aviator" or something... then you'd have the leds for red, the incan for white and then the flip filter for IR. You would have to be conservative with use of the incan though.

RadarGreg

Enlightened
LED lights don't produce an IR wavelength like the incandescent lamps do. The IR caps would be useless on a regular white LED. Yes, I've tried it and the output of IR light through the IR filter is nonexistent if a white LED light is used.

The DARPA lights had only three lights in them; white, red or green. I believe there were other variations, but not with all the white, red, blue, green, IR and UV. I have seen ONE special project light in similar size to the Kroma with the UV LEDs, but that is the only one I know of. I guess Surefire could make versions with the UV lights, but it would have to be a special order, and I'm sure a minimum quantity would be necessary.