G2/CREE LED : Recharge Batt. Suggestion?

AudioPhox

Newly Enlightened
G2 with CREE LED. Love the combo. It is always on my belt.

I want to upgrade it with a rechargeable kit. What are my options? Surefire KR1 (I can get LEO discount) or a third party package?

Must have in-car charging. I like the extension of the SF KR1, will it still fit my SF V70 holster?

Thank you light gurus! :twothumbs

jbviau

Enlightened
Wow, for 1/4 of what they charge for a SF conversion kit you could get a nice set-up from AW in the Dealer's Corner. Maybe a 17670 or 2 RCR123As (depending on the drop-in) plus a charger. I use a 17670. But then you'd have to improvise something for charging in the car (just saw that in rereading your post...oops). Maybe someone else will know what to do about that. Anyway, nice that you're going rechargeable!

AudioPhox

Newly Enlightened
The CREE drop-in was purchased from eBay. I am not sure of the particular brand/model. It was "rated" at 150 lumen. I now see they offer 270 lumen for the G2. The emitter is nice though. I still have the P60 bulb, too.

Certainly open to suggestions folks. Ya'll know lights better than I do; I am looking for sincere input as my safety and success at work can depend on my light.

Not to say price isn't an issue, but I can get the SF LEO discount as well as the tax write off. I don't enjoy compromising quality.

So which rechargeables do I need?

:thumbsup:

jbviau

Enlightened
I think what you'll need to provide in order to get good recommendations is the voltage range for the drop-in, i.e. 3.7-6v, 3.0-9v, etc. The eBay auctions typically list these, so maybe you can go back into your bidding history and find this info.?

AudioPhox

Newly Enlightened
Says it has an onboard regulator, 3.0-9.0v.

eBay is flooded with "+G2 +CREE". Some of them claim 290 lumens. I bought before these XR-E and R2 bulbs were offered.

jbviau

Enlightened
Ok, since no one else has chimed in, I stand by my original recommendation: a 17670 or 2 RCR123As. You can get them from AW directly here:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=177100

Pick up the WF-139 charger that AW sells as well as the $2.50 car charger mentioned in another of his threads:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=176076

These are great batteries sold by a trusted vendor. I use one of his 17670s myself in my G2 with a Wolf Eyes Cree drop-in. Though I don't have experience with the eBay drop-ins, the info. you provided indicates yours will run fine in regulation with either battery combo.

Good luck! As an aside, you might try posting in the batteries forum also.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Since the drop-in has a buck driver, 2 RCR123s should work. 1 17670 might give you a longer runtime, but it won't be as regulated.

Any battery source between 3.7v ad 9v should work with the drop-in.

AudioPhox

Newly Enlightened
Ok, since no one else has chimed in, I stand by my original recommendation: a 17670 or 2 RCR123As. You can get them from AW directly here:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=177100

Pick up the WF-139 charger that AW sells as well as the $2.50 car charger mentioned in another of his threads:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=176076

These are great batteries sold by a trusted vendor. I use one of his 17670s myself in my G2 with a Wolf Eyes Cree drop-in. Though I don't have experience with the eBay drop-ins, the info. you provided indicates yours will run fine in regulation with either battery combo.

Good luck! As an aside, you might try posting in the batteries forum also.

:grouphug:

No but really. Thanks. I ordered two batteries and charger! Blind the hell out of these people....

Now I need a bigger light for the cruiser. Something that could hurt someone if need be and also light up the night...

jbviau

Enlightened
Sure! Let us know how it turns out. For the bigger light, maybe try a Mag with a high-end LED drop-in like the Malkoff?

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be careful when using some of the higher powered drop ins in the G2 as they can overheat and greatly reduce the life of the LED, or fail because the nitrolon body can't dissipate heat away from the LED. A 6p body would work much better and allow the use of higher powered LED drop ins.

Last edited:

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be careful when using some of the higher powered drop ins in the G2 as they can overheat and greatly reduce the life of the LED, or fail because the nitrolon body can't dissipate heat away from the LED. A 6p body would work much better and allow the use of higher powered LED drop ins.

I've found that a little cpu grease like Arctic Silver on the threads between the reflector and driver/led helps to keep it cool.

I also use it on the head threads on flashlights I don't plan to take apart more than once a year. I wouldn't recommend it for head threads unless you plan to put it together and leave it that way, since it's not really meant to be used as a lubricant.