E2L Dual Output- Two Questions

mskerritt7

Newly Enlightened
For those that own the new E2L, what are your thoughts on it? Specifically, is low bright enough for most things or do you need to go through the hassle of switching to high whenever you need to do something?

Also, what LED is in this version? I like Crees because they have a nice, usually error-free beam, even up close. I can't find any info on the type of LED Surefire used here. Are there any dark spots in the beam at close range?

Thanks.

Zenster

Enlightened
I don't know which LED is in it, but I can say that the low is definitely bright enough for most things I use it for. In fact, I would have preferred the low to be a bit lower in order to extend the already long runtime on it's current low setting.

The high is overkill for most of what I need it for, but yes, it's definitely noticeably brighter than the low setting. Definitely.

I use the F04 diffuser on mine most of the time which takes away the hot spot entirely. I use it more as an area light than as a thrower. But that's just me.

jjk1285

Newly Enlightened
Its really the reflector or optics that make the beam what it is, although the emitter matters too. Surefire decided to use optics in the E2DL because it takes more of the light the LED puts out and shoots it out the front (higher efficiency than a reflector); in addition, the optics can create a tighter throwy hot spot with a smaller diameter head.

Although reflectors usually make a prettier beam surefire did an excellent job with the optics in the E2DL. Both my E2DLs have a nice round beam (although one of them is ever so slightly oblong) with a very slight dark ring around it and a very good spill beam that rivals by spill on my CREE P60 drop-in. Unless I'm lighting up a white wall it looks a lot like the PERFECT beam of the surefire P60 incandescent lamp (that was a great great beam, IMHO).

Size15's

Flashaholic
Just to clarify, the following SureFire flashlights all use the same TIR optic & LED combination:

L1, E1L (KX1), E2L (KX2), E1B, E2DL

... so the beams will be the same shape and profile.

Al

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Which also means the above lights above all use Cree XR-E LEDs.

The beam pattern is much more dependent on the reflector/optic then the LED itself.