Can this be modded? 6V ancient Eveready

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all, am new to the light scene and am slowly getting sucked in, I bought this 6V Eveready a loooooong time back, its an incan (slowly picking up the lingo too) and it has what i think is called an aspeherical lens (stock), it has pretty good throw for an incan but i think it could be boosted with an LED.

Anyone knows any ways to mod this on the cheap?? the light i think cost me less than USD20/- and i know it might probably cost me more to mod it but hey, what the heck, its a nice hobby to have and i would love to have it when i go fishing at night.

have attached some pics which i think may assist, if more are needed please let me know. For some reason, i am unable to post any attachments, so here's a link to where i posted the pics

http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=462938#462938

also, i live in singapore, sadly a place where the vast variety of lights available to the rest of the world is lacking. so free shipping and a reasonable cost would of course be great.

thanks in advance guys

Glen C

Enlightened
Hyperloop, your link brings up a Fenix TK10, I am guessing that is not what you intended

kramer5150

Flashaholic
you need to host your pics at an image host site and copy/paste the image URLs here. I use image shack, but there are others.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
My immediate idea is a MagnumStar Xenon lamp.

There's lots of potted LED upgrades that should work fine. Nite-Ize, Mag, and a host of others should fit.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i tried fitting in the 3D Maglite 3W drop in module from Maglite into the Eveready, doesnt work

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
most drop ins are + polarity on the tip of the Bulb module if your lantern is wired with a - to the tip it will have to be redone to work to match the module. I put a 2 cell mag module in two of my flashlights but had to mod them to work because they are not a direct drop in as they are too large in diameter and the focal point isn't the same as a PR2 base bulb so either your light has to focus or be able to accomodate the mag module.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to mention magLEDs are way bigger than a regular PR base. I haven't found a single light in the house that will take a magLED as a replacement for the stock bulb.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anything can be done, the question is how much effort you're willing to put into it.

The only problem I see is that it's all plastic, so unable to sink much heat. This precludes the use of the most powerful emitters (at least if you want to drive them to spec), and anything else isn't likely to give much of an improvement, lumen-wise.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
I modded 2 of these 6v lanterns ( different brands though). One I used a xenon 3 cell bulb, now since the lantern is using a 6 volt battery it is overriding the 3 cell bulb, resulting a brighter output that the regular 6 volt bulb.
the other one I wanted to mod it into an LED. I tried the Mag drop in but it's big, plus Fallingwater is right the socket holder is plastic so heat would be an issue. I ended up using a PR based LEd drop in.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try a Philips HPR53 with the existing battery.

Next step up is the Pelican 3854L, powered by 7 cells or even 8 cells with an NTC.

The plastic reflector & bulbholder stops you dong any really angry mods.