Want to make Blaster 3P very bright, help.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an older Elektrolumens Blaster 3P that I want to mod and make very bright at about 200 lumens. It's currently at 3W. I damaged the LED module somehow and now it's dim. So I need to put something in it anyway. I love its lense that gets so much flood.

Can I stick Seoul P7 in it? Is it an easy lite to mod?

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
P4 is an easy upgrade,see my reply to your pm.

A p7,,,,it is a lot larger led, I would suspect the beam pattern would be different(better or worse I dont know ,I have not yet seen one in person)I know they generate a lot of heat so if you want practicle /useful,long runtime stay with p4,if you want a bright show off/intrmittent light ,try the p7 ,Ive been thinking of a p7 in a blaster JR,3aa cells in a D adapter.it uses the same 35 mm optic too.
Try it and let us know how it works! Id love to see it!

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Will the P7 fit the 30mm optic? I still have one of those optics. I'll check when I get home. Other than that a P7 upgrade could be done.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Ok, I pulled out my old 30mm optic that EL uses. Just so there's no confusion, I've always known it as the 30mm optic which I purchased directly from EL. That's what Wayne called it. If you measure the diameter of the optic it is 35mm but the actual optic is only 30mm.

The P7 will not even come close to fitting this optic. The 30mm optic's opening diameter measures 6.6mm & tapers down to 6.3mm. The dome's diameter on a P7 measures 9mm. I do think it may be possible to bore the optic out to fit a P7 though. Not sure what the focal point would be though of course.

Just for the heck of it, I placed the 30mm optic on top of the P7's dome. I get the crosshair beam. I think it would be possible to get the P7 to focus in this optic. KD now sells a 35mm optic, looks a bit different from the EL optic but similar though. Since I don't have a Baster or my FT-3C anymore I won't be trying the optic mod for a P7. Unless there's something else this 30mm optic would fit?

I did try the 30mm optic with a Cree XR-E. Won't work can't get into focus. I also tried it with a P4, comes into focus but is not that great. Very tight hotspot & not very usable. The best beams with this optic is a LuxI/III or LuxV. LuxV gives a bigger hotspot but with slight donut hole.

Because the optic is not very tall, doesn't look like there's a readily available reflector replacement for it. Perhaps a 3 cree or P4 mod using small reflectors would be a better option for a Blaster upgrade? Or maybe the KD optic works better with a Cree or P4 & might fit the Blaster? It's only $2 so it's worth a try.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You might have to swap it out for a reflector for a better beam pattern with whatever LED you plan on using.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I stick Seoul P7 in it? Is it an easy lite to mod?
nice that noone really answers the question :rolleyes:

"ist is an easy mod?"
depends on what You have done already.
It is easy to mod, because its very large - limited space makes modding difficult.

You could do an emitter swap with a Seoul P4 led: roughly double the output

but the light is made to offer long runtime, so to get it really brighter, You will need another circuit, one that gives more current to the led.

As to P7: 1st of all, I dont like it, its bad (parallel wiring). Even if someone thinks parallel is good, there simply are no drivers available now, while there are quite some that could (almost) power a series wired quad-die, even from the 2D cells (hopefully).
My advise were: use the new Cree and wire it in series.

So, finally: for someone who has modded lights already, its very easy. For starters, its possible. Mostly because the space inside the head + the easy disassembly

PS: i never liked the Blasters. Have sold the Jr. but still own a 3P. Unnecessary thick, large and heavy lights. With acutal, supersmall multilevel lights, no need any more for such ones. But thats personal view. ;)
When You think that this optic here makes a good beam, try a Sandwich Shoppe reflector. The light is some years old in construction and thats what beam is like. I dont consider it a floody or good useful flood. The center spot is the same as with any reflectored light, with about 8 degrees. Sidespill is less than with reflector (common with optics).
Any Fenix is better in both.

Last edited: