SF KL4 help

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, a while ago my KL4 died, just stopped working, it was lighting and then dimming very quickly, but now its just dead.

It has lived its entire life on Pila's and just recently a AW 17670
i was going to send it to SF and get them to have a look at it, but i figured that i have enough lights, and decided to sacrifice this one to let me learn more about flashlights.
i have managed to get the top off it, and the electronics out, it seems the rattle was the screws that hold the heatsink to the reflector coming loose, one completley loose and on half out.
it has broken a corner off the plastic on the coil, but the circuit seems to be ok,
im guessing something has shorted and been damaged, or the Led has burnt out
when i squash the electronics to the L4 body (17670 - 3.7v) so it completes the circuit i get a little glimmer from two of the little "Bars" in one of the dies then they dim to nothing and the multimeter tells me i have about 9.1v running through the Led,
im not sure how accurate my multimeter is, but it should be withing half a volt or so
does anybody think this is a simple case of replacing the LED and my L4 will come back to life ? or am i better off putting it back together and sending it to surefire to figure out ? (telling them what i have done and paying them to fix it)
i can easily solder a new LED into place, just a matter of finding a good 5w luxeon

while im at it though - is there any better Leds that i can just drop in, or do i need to change the board too ? im thinking Seoul led :)

Last edited: