p7 owners, use?

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
what the heck do you use it for?
when i brought it camping it was much too bright. :faint:
i cant think of a practical application.

Firecop

Newly Enlightened
Personally, I use it at work when I dig fire scenes and conducting scene investigations. The brighter, the better!

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
For camping where there are no other competing light sources a low power light is really all that's required imho.

In the city where you have other sources of light possibly competing to illuminate an area. a brighter light can be useful to definitively light up a target area, imho.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ceiling bounce when in high mode, only point the torch when in medium. My MTE 5 mode does not tailstand but won't fall over if jammed between 2 cans against the side of the fridge.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Caving would be a good application. When you are exploring a cave, there can be interesting formations or passages in any direction, including above you - it's not nearly as two dimentional as being on the surface is, and so extra light can usually be put to good use.

Going downhill on a mountain bike when night riding can also benefit from lots of light.

Which light were you using?

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in Colorado not long ago and was able to use a bunch of lights including my P7 light with McR38 reflector. Using the 2-stage tailcap on the L2 body makes it much more usable. The P7 on high is really bright and illuminated targets up on mountain sides nicely. The low is great for general lighting if not way to bright still.

I have also mounted this on my mountain bike and the beam is great for riding. On high it is even better. I prefer my bike light to be bright as possible when night riding.

The P7 as a flood light (no reflector) is excellent as well. It's actually pretty crazy how bright the flood is when used from an elevated location to light up a very large area evenly. While it is large, I can see using plenty more of these for more projects.

002-8.jpg

003-3.jpg

copperfox

Enlightened
Defabricata, that is a sweet light. What body components is it comprised of? Did you build it yourself? How does that McR38 work with the p7?

pbs357

Enlightened
I just got my Aurora AK-P7 2 mode today from DX sku 12588. With my Malkoff M60's, R2 and Q5 drop ins as comparison, the P7 on HI is a "holy s$%t! light. Definitely will be used for my "bump in the night" light. I've also started dong some urban exploration, and for some of the larger old mill sites, the extra output will come in handy.

TexLite

Enlightened
I agree about high being too high for most uses,but when you need it its great.

I dont know what setup you have,but a multi-mode driver would make the light fantastic.I have one with a Tri-Flupic that has programmable levels,from around just a few lumens to around 3600ma(should be well over 800 lumens)on burst.It is the most versatile light I own.

The AMC type multi-mode would work in a 3 or 4 cell NiMH or single Li-ion application and be very affordable,the Tri-Flupic would also work in those apps.

Michael

NickBose

Enlightened
what the heck do you use it for?
when i brought it camping it was much too bright. :faint:
i cant think of a practical application.

640K ought to be enough for anybody - denied by Bill Gates. Such a stupid quote

Right now I need a light that's at least 5 times as bright as my P7, 1/4th of the size, consuming half the power and generating 1/10th of the heat.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wherever I used to use a Modded mag light I will now use my New modded mag light which is a P7 driven by 3 D NIMH cells for pretty flat output for HOURS and it is Bright as hell. Besides the Costco HID I do not have a brighter light.
OK What it is good for?
Not much else except for target acquisition in the middle of the night when Bad guys who dare to stay in range will likely NOT walk away.

The P7 sends a message. What is that message? DONT MOVE I HAVE YOU IN MY SIGHTS. This light is definitely bright enough to impair the vision of anybody who might be unlucky enough to be caught in the light. This gives a great advantage to the holder of this light.

There is really something to be said for having this much power in your hands.
I am not a big proponent of brightness in hand held flashlights.
In the case of a modded Mag I say the sky's the limit since this is a light used for a specific use. Lighting up bad guys.
Yaesumofo

husky20

Banned
I have found that its excellent for killing flys and other kinds of flying insects. when they land i spot them for a few seconds than just pick them up with a tissue it blinds them so they never see me coming it works seriously try it Ive caught several kinds of bugs this way:twothumbs

Last edited:

Furrballz

Newly Enlightened
Husky20, great use for the light! :) Why didn't I think of that....it is a much better (and environmentally friendly - not to mention people friendly) way to kill flies!

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a P7 longthrow on the way and I cannot wait for it to get here. Where I work each night, there is plenty of artificial ambient light in some areas, where others are deeply shadowed. I love my 35w hid, but sometimes I want a bright momentary light. My Q5 lights now seem so dim and feeble compared to the hid, that I hate to use them except indoors. I am hiping that the P7 light will bridge the gap between a 225 lm Q5 and a bright hid.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Defabricata, that is a sweet light. What body components is it comprised of? Did you build it yourself? How does that McR38 work with the p7?

Thanks, yes I did build it myself. It is made from a Surefire L2 Body and tailcap, an E-C adaptor connected to a C-M adaptor and an M3 Head. The driver is a AMC, and the P7 works great with the McR38. The L2 body has the stock driver removed and now houses the AMC driver.

I must admit that I use the P7 A LOT! most of my other lights now don't get used as much:(

scottaw

Enlightened
I don't have a P7, but i do have a similar output, multi level light.

I like to have a massive amount of lumens available as my big time trouble light, car accident in a snowstorm in the middle of nowhere, major power outage, things like that.

The lower lumens are great for lots of runtime but still plenty bright dog walks and things like that.