Review/Observation: Fenix P3D vs. SF G2 w/ DX Cree Q5 drop-in

lronchef

Newly Enlightened
Fenix P3d "Premium Q5" was about $70 from the fenix store, and has 6 modes with varying degrees of lumen output that I haven't tested or confirmed, but I believe their claimed outputs. My observation between the two lights is on the highest output..because, that's what matters most. The turbo beam on the P3D is 215 Lumens. It's smooth, has good fill, and a decent hot spot given it's small reflector.

Surefire G2 with DX's Cree Q5 drop-in was about $36 + tax at a local gun shop, and $13 for the drop-in making this light a better price by about $20. The light is single mode and the drop-in claims upward of 225 Lumens. I removed the large spring from the drop in and cranked the whole head on the flashlight to form a secure, seamless closure. Fit was fantastic. I didn't cut the spring since removing it was adequate.

I was and am really in love with my P3D for it's appearance, slender and concealable size (worn in sheath on my belt behind my blackberry nicely), and of course the output is phenomenal..and fun with the strobe playing with my kids. At a recent county fair where I did search and rescue for lost/found kids and parents, I got to blow away all the sheriff deputies with their pathetic assortment of dull, yellow, shameful duty lights.

I have not been a fan of surefire, and I don't think I ever will be, since I think they are largely overrated for what they offer. I do like my G2 and realize it's an entry level light, but I'm a "bang for the buck" guy and it has done well.

The P3D, in my estimation, has more fill/spill and can light up a room better than the modded G2. The G2 has a discernably brighter spot and throw..while lacking in flood/spill. The P3D's alternate modes will win hands down in longevity for those times being isolated beneath the earth or in a sewage pipe for many hours...the G2, like the P3D's turbo mode will only last an hour or two I believe.

LOOKS (1-5, 5 being better):
P3D - 5
G2 - 3

BRIGHTNESS:
P3D - 4
G2 - 5 (but lacks fill)

UTILITY:
P3D - 5
G2 - 3

ERGONOMICS:
P3D - 4
G2 - 3

BANG FOR THE BUCK:
P3D - 4
G2 - 5

OVERALL: P3D is still my favorite, but that G2/Q5 is replacing my P3D as my "bad guy blinder" on my night stand and will accompany the M&P9 down the hall way when the bump happens in the night. If it had a strobe, the G2 would probably be the winner. I would have gotten the multi-mode Q5 (or R2) drop-in, but I heard it's not as bright on the highest setting.

And the pics....
IMG_0412.jpg

P3D on the left, showing more white tint, smoother, and it shows a brighter more full spot, only because i'm a meter away from the wall...but another few meters and it diminishes below the G2's brighter spot.
IMG_0411.jpg

G2 with DX Cree Q5 drop-in showing some jagged lines, less uniform fill/spill, more concentrated spot. Has some blue/purple tint, but not much to cry about.
IMG_0410.jpg

And the P3D..which again, has a brighter spot because of the proximity..but as you improve distance, the G2 retains the brighter spot.
IMG_0409.jpg

Sorry for such crappy pictures...it's the only camera I have here at work..

Last edited: