Removing logo

sflate

Enlightened
Is it possible and does anyone have any ideas on how to remove the white 'logo' from Mag flashights without destroying the anodizing underneath? For example, the top one here? Nascar Light

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
sflate,

On two examples I have, the bezel markings appear to be laser-engraved, and white "filled." The laser engraving process is fast and vaporizes the anodized surface and into the aluminum beneath. You could have an anodizer strip the bezel and return it to you to polish out the engraving. Then take it back to him to reanodize. You can skip the strip step, but you will be at it for quite a while removing it with Aluminum oxide sandpaper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . It will entail work and cost you money.

Larry

Larry

sflate

Enlightened
I've only seen pictures of maglights with logos and didn't realize they were engraved. I was hoping to get one of those orange 2D or 3D Nascar Mag and remove the logo, but I guess it's not quite that easy. Thanks for the input.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it possible that you guys are talking about two different things? One would be the Mag Logo on the bezel and the other being the special Nascar Logo?

sflate

Enlightened
I was talking about the Nascar logo, not the Mag,Inc logos. I have an orange mini-mag, but don't think they make an orange 2D or 3D mag without any logos. They do have the Tony Stewart with Nascar logo. I'd like to get the logo off a nascar 'spectrum' light as well. From the pictures it does not look like those are engraved, so I'd bet the chemicals mentioned would remove it.

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brake fluid (DOT 3) lifts paint, so it should lift decals. Empath's suggestion of using fingernail polish remover (jellied acetone) will probably dissolve the decal, causing it to smear on removal.

Dan

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
sflate- I stand corrected. I (probably, like many here,) assumed you wanted the accursed (by some) manufacturer's markings removed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

Larry

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighter fluid is helpful for removing glue left behind by stickers, it might be worth a try as well.

sflate

Enlightened
I searched the web and find that most people that put logos on Mag-lites state that they are 'laser engraved', yet they look like they simply have white ink/paint on them. If I do manage to get the ink/paint off, will the anodized color show through and is the white logo part actually 'engraved' or recessed at all? Someone has to have an older one that has had the ink/paint start wearing away.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
sflate, stop keeping us all in suspense and get one and try it!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Obviously no one else has. Be a pioneer! I wouldn't mind one of those rainbow nascar minimags for a mod but without the nascar logo. Eagerly awaiting your results!

onelight

Enlightened
nail polish remover, makes your flashlight smell funny,but it won't hurt the logo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put a piece of paper towel over the logo, and then soak it with one of the solvents. Let it sit overnight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif The paper towel will keep the solvent in contact with the logo, and prevent all of it from running off. I would try the fingernail polish remover or the brake fluid. Don't use oven cleaner for sure, it will consume the aluminum. It may be that it will work over time, but not right away. (Just for the education, you could spray some oven cleaner on a piece of aluminum foil, crumple it up, and sit back and watch.)
I bet Skydrol would take that off. I haven't seen a paint yet, that could withstand the destructive power of Skydrol. Does anyone have access to some that could they could send him in a small glass bottle?

Oh, Skydrol is the hydraulic fluid used in most airliners, because it is fire-retardant. It is a purple liquid, has a stinky chemical smell, and burns like hell if you get it in your eyes, or any sensitive skin.
Skydrol bubbles up polyurethane paint, and DuPont Imeron paint and primer, down to the base metal with ease, over a little time.

I am going to try this same thing with a Marlboro Minimag. It is the silver one with the red lizard on it. I'm gonna try to get that lizard off, and the light has no knurling on the barrel at all. If it works, it will look cool, and be one of a kind, like the nascar light.

I don't think the logos are laser etched, or it seems that they would be slightly recessed into the aluminum, like the Mag logo on the head is. I think it's just decent paint.

Now as for the stripper jacking-up the anodized finish, I really dont know. I was considering on the Minimag I'm going to do, immersing the whole light (sans parts) in a solvent for a day, hoping that any effects on the base finish, if there were any, would appear uniform at least.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Periodically add more solvent. I have done this many times with lighter fluid on objects to remove glue. If it is just moist, and stays in contact with the paint, it should be eventually absorbed by the paint, and start to weaken it.