Removing ribbed M2 bezel lens retaining ring?

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got in a few protective stainless steel bezel rings, and I am having a deuce of a time removing some old plastic lens retaining rings. I have an older plastic Overready tool, and will try heating up the 6P bezel in boiling water, to see if that helps with the 6P plastic bezel ring. I got one out, but another one is not being co-operative.

The M2 bezel presents an even greater challenge, since I don't have a tool for it. I've already been to the hardware store to see if there was some sort of small "metal flat stock" that would span the opening and fit, but nothing was the right size. Ironically, that approach did work several years ago for a ribbed oversized FM turbohead that takes D26 bulb drop-ins that I have.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to remove the M2 bezel? Thank you for your input!

m4a1usr

Enlightened
I can tell you how I built one improvised version that actually works pretty darn good. And its got a nice solid lock up feel to it. Find a piece of .250 thick aluminum bar stock 1 1/2 inches wide. Mine is about 12 inches long but length can be anything you find enough leverage to find adequate. Next take a compass or similar scribe and draw/scribe a 1.135 dia circle. Drill 6 equal distance spaced holes centered on the scribed circle to align with the bezel retainer cut outs and use a #47 (.076) drill for making the holes. Lastly buy six half inch 5/64inch roll pins and set each one in it's hole so that approx 3/16 of the pin sticks out. Now you have the tool to remove the bezel for both the ribbed M2 and newer Z32 head. Ironically it is the exact same as needed for removing the bezel from the early SF KL3 heads. Not sure about the newer version but its what I use to crack them open for modding.

I'm sure you could do some variations off this method but you only need a few tools to do it. Maybe this helps a little?

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, m4a1usr.

Does anyone make/sell something similar at a reasonable cost?

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Oveready does make an aluminum Z32 bezel removal tool. Its on their web page. I was thinking maybe you needed a "homemade version" on the quick.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I can tell you how I built one improvised version that actually works pretty darn good. And its got a nice solid lock up feel to it. Find a piece of .250 thick aluminum bar stock 1 1/2 inches wide. Mine is about 12 inches long but length can be anything you find enough leverage to find adequate. Next take a compass or similar scribe and draw/scribe a 1.135 dia circle. Drill 6 equal distance spaced holes centered on the scribed circle to align with the bezel retainer cut outs and use a #47 (.076) drill for making the holes. Lastly buy six half inch 5/64inch roll pins and set each one in it's hole so that approx 3/16 of the pin sticks out. Now you have the tool to remove the bezel for both the ribbed M2 and newer Z32 head. Ironically it is the exact same as needed for removing the bezel from the early SF KL3 heads. Not sure about the newer version but its what I use to crack them open for modding.

I'm sure you could do some variations off this method but you only need a few tools to do it. Maybe this helps a little?

DIY-ers are cool.
Thanks for the explanation.

I was thinking of trying my watch back cover remover tool, but like your idea better.

ven

Flashaholic
In the past i have used external circlip pliers(or what ever you guys call them your side). Simply fit in the bezel ring , grip to open up and secure .

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you all for the advice. I appreciate the DIY advice, but I can be a bit of a klutz regarding DIY stuff, and without a drill press, I'm not sure how accurate my m4a1usr rig would be.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I did was went through my garage and looked for any metal bracket that was close to the diameter of the bezel ring and thickness of the indentions of the ring. I had to use a file to get it to match up well. Then I boiled the M2 bezel, held it with an oven mitt, crossed my toes, and twisted the ring off. I was lucky in a couple of aspects here.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Some call them Jesus pliers...
They remove the little c-clips causing it to fly away causing person to say "Where'd that thing go, help me Jesus"
My Honda interior is loaded with little "Jesus clips"
Clips that only He knows where it went when dropped.

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an update: I went to a Lowe's home improvement store, got them to open up their one $9.99 snap-ring plier set by promising to buy it if it worked (which I would have), but it didn't open up far enough. They suggested a local tool store. I then went to a local watch repair shop, and one of their watchmakers tried his case-back removal tool, but the jaws kept popping out (I suspect they were square-faced]. I next drove to the local tool store recommended by Lowe's, and they didn't have any appropriate tools, but the gentleman I was talking to worked at the same watch shop I had been to previously, noted that he had a case-back tool with reversible half-round jaws, and suggested I visit him there on the weekend. I did, and his case-back removal tool kept popping out of the notches.

I just didn't want to get the Oveready tool that I was only going to use only once.

I eventually ended up using a moto-dremel with a straight reamer, and ground away the plastic ring, almost to the threads, in several places, and used an exacto knife blade heated over a tea candle to complete the "segmentation". Then I used a dental pick to pry the segments away from the bezel. Paleo-lithic problem-solving; my specialty.

I am replacing the glass lens, and using a Cryos-illumination stainless steel protective bezel ring to replace it. Unfortunately the Cryos bezel ring does not have notches of any kind, so once it's screwed down as far as I can get it, it might be a bear to ever try to remove later. I will do my best to remember to lube the threads.

I guess my message is, the Oveready tool for M2 bezels is looking like the way to go, if you're not obstinate, like me.