Just got my first Surefire!

spikeytree

Newly Enlightened
Hi! I been surfing the forum for a while and have enjoyed many recommendations and reviews. But i don't think i have ever knew the meaning of a useful light until i picked up my surefire G2 this morning. I own a couple of decent lights (fenix l2d q5, lod, mag 3AA led, etc) but none of them allow me to see as clear in the night as the G2. Maybe the incandescent light color just gives me a better dept perception. Is funny to think that i was going to throw in a drop in module right away but now i am not so sure any more. I just had to share that with everyone thats all. Thanks for reading.
-Andrew

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi spikeytree!

I agree with you that incandescents somehow make things clearer outside. Even though they are considered "old technology" by some they still are great fun to use.

Have you thought about using the lumens factory bulbs in your G2? They would increase your output and also allow you the use of rechargeable batteries.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats :thumbsup: . I prefer the rendition offered by LED and HID lights to incandescents outdoors. Must have been the LASIK :) .

spikeytree

Newly Enlightened
"lumens factory bulbs" what series would i need? And can't i use 3.0v rechargeable cr123 with my g2? Thanks!

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Congrats Spikeytree

You mentioned with your new G2 how it ables you to see clear in the night compared to your other lights and that it gives you better depth perception, so what I say is why not leave it incan.

Its like you said, there is a reason why you haven't changed it out to a drop in module.:thumbsup:

There is one exception, if you can get your hands on a Malkoff M60, give that a try.
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8&products_id=7

With Lumens Factory bulbs, you'd need the D26 series
http://www.lumensfactory.com/d26_series_specification.htm

Steve

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
THE reason you may find to change it is when you are replacing the batts. every 50 min or so. +1 on a Malkoff and I'll bet you'd be more then happy with the Malkoff M60LL 8+ hrs. on a set of batts..

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I agree completely, something about incan light even though it may be less lux/lumens it still resolves more detail and surface texture.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you have any Maglites, a Hotwire mod could be in order.

Incans seem to have better color then LEDs, but there are some warm white or high color rendering LEDs available.

spikeytree

Newly Enlightened
SureAddicted Re: Just got my first Surefire!
Congrats Spikeytree

You mentioned with your new G2 how it ables you to see clear in the night compared to your other lights and that it gives you better depth perception, so what I say is why not leave it incan.

Its like you said, there is a reason why you haven't changed it out to a drop in module.:thumbsup:

There is one exception, if you can get your hands on a Malkoff M60, give that a try.
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/...&products_id=7

With Lumens Factory bulbs, you'd need the D26 series
http://www.lumensfactory.com/d26_ser...cification.htm

Steve

Is the malkoff m60 that much brighter compairing to the m60l?

Would using Lumen factory bulb affect the beam quality comparing to the surefire bulb?

Gunner12 Re: Just got my first Surefire!
If you have any Maglites, a Hotwire mod could be in order.

Incans seem to have better color then LEDs, but there are some warm white or high color rendering LEDs available.

What type of of led would offer a high color rendering?

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Is the malkoff m60 that much brighter compairing to the m60l?

Would using Lumen factory bulb affect the beam quality comparing to the surefire bulb?

What type of of led would offer a high color rendering?

The Malkoff M60 has an output of 235+ lumens, the M60L is rated at 140 lumens, so its considerably brighter.

I've never used Lumens Factory LA's, I find that the SF LA's are perfect for my needs, plus the SF LA's have a slightly higher life expectancy.

Steve

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
spikeytree, :welcome: to CPF and congratulations on your Surefire purchase. I have the G2 too and Surefire really hit the nail on the head producing it. When it is cold, the G2 feels better in the hand than any metal light.

The cells which you refer to are probably LiFePO4 cells, which are pretty safe. Just remember to use a 3.0 volt charger. Also, a typical dispoable lithium cell has a capacity of 1300mAh, so your runtime will be noticibly diminished using that 650mAh cell. For quality reasons, you may prefer the equivalent cell from AW.

If you really love the light given off by incandescents, you can go a little crazy if you like. If you pick up a Lumens Factory E0-9 extreme and a couple of high quality AW PRCR123a cells, you get 380 bulb lumens, which is 247 Surefire lumens, about 4 times as bright as your stock G2.

jcs71

Newly Enlightened
Congrats on your G2. I almost bought one instead of my 6PD. I might get one next time, I like OD Green. Have fun with your light, if you keep it standard then that gives you another excuse to get one to modify. Have a nice day.

santza

Newly Enlightened
Hi there and welcome!

I love compact incans too, makes me see better in outdoors even with less lumens than led lights :thinking:

Okay i am going to be a noob and ask a very obvious question. I did search but i just couldn't find a solid answer. Can i or can i not use rechargeable cr123 batteries with the G2. Such as this model that is rated at 3.0 v http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.723
Thanks!

Make sure to check MD:s fantastic post for details using rechargeables:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/161536
there is a chapter about "3.0V" lithium Ion rechargeable cells, NOT recommended!

One of my favorite guides in CPF, thanks MD :thumbsup:

spikeytree

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies. When i get my rechargeable cr123 cells i am going to give my L2D a rest and use the G2 as my work light.

Hi there and welcome!

I love compact incans too, makes me see better in outdoors even with less lumens than led lights :thinking:

Make sure to check MD:s fantastic post for details using rechargeables:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/161536
there is a chapter about "3.0V" lithium Ion rechargeable cells, NOT recommended!

One of my favorite guides in CPF, thanks MD :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link. This is what i really needed. I wonder why it didn't come out on the search. Thanks!!

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations on your first SureFire flashlight/torch... the addiction gets worse on in from here, I recently picked up a SF 6P and before I knew it I'd begun collecting multiple 6P compatible add-ons (often referred to as a Lego kit) :devil:

As for the whole Incan Vs. LED debate... as far as I understand it all, the incans radiate at a lower colour spectrum frequency than LEDs, as the human eye is better equipped to work during the daylight hours you'll notice detail better in lower frequency light, on the other hand LEDs are often found in the higher, whiter & colder regions of the spectrum putting out amazing light but losing some colour rendition & output the higher up the spectrum they go :D

Last edited: