SureFire E series lens protection?

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Simple question:

How do you protect the lens(es) on your SF E series lights?

Seeing as so many people edc the e in their pockets or bags, this should be an issue. Or not? I haven't seen it mentioned around here, which is strange.

I know SF make "beamcovers" for their larger lights, but not for the E series, which only have the beamshaper available (with a different function).

I'd like a cover similar to the UV filter used on camera lenses, i.e. one that doesn't reduce the amount of light output. Anyone?

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
SF does make a beamshaper for the E-Series lights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, I know that, I mentioned it in my post! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

However, the beamshaper, uh, shapes the beam, i.e. alters the output. I want a clear non-reducing protection, either the flip-open beam protection version available for SF:s larger lights, or an always-on protective cover.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
These lights have Pyrex lens and do not need any protection my E2e lens looks like new and it is in my pocket every day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks jtivat, that is indeed reassuring. I just received mine so I'm being very careful and keeping the beamshaper on whenever I keep it in my pocket.

I guess that in a couple of days I'll be ready to take it off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'd still like some protection though, just in case.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've been carrying the E2e, KL1 and A2 & L1 EDC in my pockets for ages and ages. They look like new - sometimes pocketfluff and fingerprints get on them but wipe off easy.

Al

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just want to add that if your is an E2 or E1 instead of an E2e or E1e then it is not Pyrex

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Al, that's really good news.

Did I mention I received my E2e YESTERDAY?!? That should explain why I'm nervous. But now that both of you have testified to the toughness of the lens I feel a lot more confident.

And yes jtivat, thanks very much to CPF I was made aware of the different materials used for flashlight lenses.

The choice of Pyrex was in fact deliberate, and helped motivate the cost of the E2e. I think that some people forget to mention this when they talk about how expensive SureFires are.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can always get a mini mag filter kit(known as an accessories kit) it comes with a rubber shroud,colored filters and a clear lens. The rubber keeps the shock from killing the lamp and protects from nicks.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kimchikungfu said:
, or an always-on protective cover.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use a 1 inch plastic "slip-on" cap for trips in the pocket with other items. There's all kinds of companies that sell such products.

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, I appreciate all your answers.

The good news is it seems the lens can take a good beating, but I think I'll look into the min mag filter kit Josh suggested regardless of that.

Slick's suggestion might work too, but I'm not sure what the "all kinds of companies" kinda companies would be?

Remember that compared to the US, Sweden is a small country with a miserable selection of goods and ridiculously high prices, and this applies to almost everything, especially if it's imported from outside the EU. Bah! Okay, this applies more to SureFires than lens covers, but...

I already have a red SF filter but if I have to buy the mag kit just to get the clear lens then so be it. At least Mags are available here.

Stingray, I checked Butler Creek's website and they should have a scope cover that fits the E:s, no doubt. Having one shipped to Sweden is another story though. They have no dealers in Europe and no information on international shipping whatsoever on their website.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you do go the butler creek route, your going to trial and error to see what one fits or get a hold of the scope sizing chart. If I head over to the gun shop this week I'll see what one fits the E1e.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kimchi,

I think you will be very pleased how tough and scratch resistent you E2e lens is.

I carried and E2 for better part or 2 years with the lexan lens and only picked up a couple of very minor scratches.

If you would like I will send you a couple of sheets of the non-textured kind of writeright. It is crystal clear, pretty tough and peels off cleanly. Works very well for protecting lens.

Blikbok

Enlightened
I carry my E2e with the F04 beamshaper on it. I usually need the wide beam more often than the spot.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kimchikungfu said:

Slick's suggestion might work too, but I'm not sure what the "all kinds of companies" kinda companies would be?

[/ QUOTE ]

I use a product like this ->
johnycap.gif

You can find them on the Internet by doing a search on "caplugs" from Google.

By "all kinds of companies", I meant those that sell platstics and related products.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Josh said:
If you do go the butler creek route, your going to trial and error to see what one fits or get a hold of the scope sizing chart. If I head over to the gun shop this week I'll see what one fits the E1e.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already checked the chart, part number 30010 is 1 inch, same as the E2e. You can pull up the chart at the bottom of the page I linked to in my first post.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kimchikungfu said:
Stingray, I checked Butler Creek's website and they should have a scope cover that fits the E:s, no doubt. Having one shipped to Sweden is another story though. They have no dealers in Europe and no information on international shipping whatsoever on their website.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone in the US can get it for you and mail it over in a $5 Global Priority Envelope. I'll do it for you if you can't find anyone.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stingray, I know the chart looks good, but I have gone by the chart before and then had to go down 2 sizes. Thats why I offered to confirm the part no.