Wallmart Closeouts

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
People have posted over the past few months that their local Walmart's seem to be closing out an number of flashlights in favor of growing sporting goods departments.

During my monthly prowl of a local Walmart's flashlight area I bought one or their last two closeout DB4AAA's at $7.00. (I've got a zillion DB6AA bulbs and had 5 750 mAH NiMH cells looking for a regular home.) Now, I don't know of any brick and mortar store that still stocks any of the DB's. I had to pay the full $8.76 for my family's third Energizer 2 LED 4AA folding light that's designed to look as if it had fluorescent tubes.

Several 2AA lights, 6V incandescent lanterns, and 9V fluorescent U-Tube lanterns were also on closeout and many stocking rods were empty. I wonder how long it will take before the display area shrinks.

Saaby

Flashaholic
frown.gif
and I was hoping it was just my store.

Time to go to the Tooele Wal-Mart! It's not very busy, so they'll likely still have a good selection.

For the record the 2 Wal-Marts closest to me are about 20 minutes away from my house, however we're getting a SUPER Wal-Mart right next to Kmart...~10 minutes away.

Super Wal-Marts are great for those who have yet to step foot Wal-Marts ever increasing population of them...Wal-Marts with a supermarket installed, but thats not all, every department is about 10X bigger. Well maybe 2x anyway.

I've also heard of, but never seen, a "Hyper Wal-Mart" which is bigger than a super.

In fact while we're on the topic of Wal-Marts I might add that many of you might be shopping at "Mini" Wal-Marts.

Went on a cross country trip 2 years ago and stopped at every Wallyworld along the way (If you understood how roadtrips work in my family you'd understand why...but here isn't the place) so I've been in *plenty* of Wallytorlds.

Anybody have Rite-Aids...they seem to exist everywhere yet (here anyway) only have minimal traffic, they stock some some unusial stuff though, I'll have to visit the flashlight section next time I'm in

Oh, I also paid the full 8.76 for my LED lantern...wonder if this means it will exist in the shrunk display, also noticed some nice new Energizer lights with blinking red LEDs perminatly installed in the handle...so you never loose the flashlight.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't gone to RiteAid often, but you're right -- the selection struck me as unusual. I didn't see anything I wanted to buy, but had the impression that a later visit might provide a delightful surprise.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
IF your in MI. IN. KY. IL. try a Meijer they are all like SuperWalMarts and they have a much bigger flashlight section.There are a few other States that have them I think
wink.gif
I know they have 156 stores.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Just realized Energizer has the "Find Me" lights on their site. I am thinking it could be a nice potential light for modding and such, due to the LED already on it, but I don't know...time will tell

HmeFindMeBlue_z.jpg

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lemlux:
People have posted over the past few months that their local Walmart's seem to be closing out an number of flashlights in favor of growing sporting goods departments.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hearing about all these great flashlights at Walmarts was frustrating for me because there are no conveniently located Walmarts where I live, and when I checked their site under "flashlights" "lanterns" or "lights" all I got was a meager three or four choices.

Why is there such a great inventory discrepancy between the bricks & mortar stores and the website? I would have thought that the online selection would be very large and was surprised to find it so meager.

What gives?

Brightnorm

Saaby

Flashaholic
If it's any consolation to you...all my Wallyworld had [Had left?] was...not much. Energizer folding LED only LED light, one Brinkman, though I can't remember which. It was one of the small ones.

NO Dorcy Cool Blues, NO Brinkman behemoth lights...

But as I said, in October I am getting my own (ok not quite) Super Wal-Mart. First stop opening day: Flashlight Isle

Tomas

Banned
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Saaby:
...all my Wallyworld had [Had left?] was...Energizer folding LED <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been looking all over for a pair of those but haven't been able to find any. *sigh*

If I get near a Wal-Mart I'll stop in and check - none close by, though.

Take care,

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tomas:
Originally posted by Saaby:
[qb]...all my Wallyworld had [Had left?] was...Energizer folding LED
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been looking all over for a pair of those but haven't been able to find any. *sigh*

If I get near a Wal-Mart I'll stop in and check - none close by, though.

Take care,
tomsig01.gif
[/QB]

Don't they have Fred Meier stores up there? Somebody here on CPF said they have a lotta flashlight stuff....

Tomas

Banned
Good idea, Mr. Glow.

I haven't been into a Fred Meyer for a good while, but there are a couple not too distant from here. I'll check 'em out.

Thanks!