Run-in with the po' po'

Shreknow91

Enlightened
Well... for the last couple of nights, there have been kids ringing my door bell and runnin' (!@#$^ kids:mad:)

Tonight, my mom decide she was finally gunna call the cops. the officer showed up, after we told him about the kids and stuff, he heard through the grapevine (aka my mom told him i'm a Flashaholic:sssh:) he pulls out his duty light (SL Stinger) and TRIES to tell me it is brighter than my Mag85:devil:... i literally laughted in his face (in a good manner) as i shined it on the trees across the street... The look on his face was PRICELESS!!!!!!

something between :eek:oo: and:eek: and:duh2:

hehe

and he was admiring my surefires

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice story! I'ts always funny to see the look on peoples faces when they are not used to seeing anything other than the stock store bought Maglite or keychain LEDs.

I was shining the Polorion PH40 out in front of my house the other night and the police drove by, hit their brakes but kept going. I was hoping he was gonna come back so we could compare his searchlight against the PH40.

As for the doorbell ringing.....wire up an LED light to shine on them when they press the door bell. The flash of the LED might make them think they have gotten their picture taken. Just an idea....

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The flash of the LED might make them think they have gotten their picture taken. Just an idea....

Haha, I like that idea. Put a C-Bin (Or D-Bin, whichever is brighter) SSC P7 in the door bell button so when they push it they get 800-900 lumens under their finger. Would be a pretty customized door bell button though. :)

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
im just waiting for something like this to happen. Thats why i carry around my ROP HI

"is that a maglite? *scoff*"

Crenshaw

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I meant to have the light pointing at them from above the door but that would be cool too!:D

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
DaFABRICATA said:
As for the doorbell ringing.....wire up an LED light to shine on them when they press the door bell. The flash of the LED might make them think they have gotten their picture taken. Just an idea....
I like this idea - might just do that!

Despite the incomprehensable thread title, I'm glad I dropped by!

Shreknow91

Enlightened
Hey... Dont be making fun of my Title!!!:scowl:

Haha... j/k

po' po' is slang for Police

Burgess

Flashaholic
As for the doorbell ringing.....wire up an LED light to shine on them when they press the door bell.

Better yet, wire up your door bell to yer' Bug Light !

:eeksign:

:devil:

BTW, i'm 54 years old, and from the title of your thread,

all i could figure is that you musta' dropped yer' flashlight in Dog Poop.

:eeew: ___ :awman:

_

Brownstone

Enlightened
po' po' is slang for Police

I've only ever heard it used in a disparaging or derogatory way, so when I read your title I assumed it was going to be a post about an altercation with an out of control officer.

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
im just waiting for something like this to happen. Thats why i carry around my ROP HI

"is that a maglite? *scoff*"

Crenshaw

I am always prepared for this to happen too, I have been carrying my rechargeable Brinkmann Big Max 3 million MaxPower Qbeam everywhere at night, I also carry my POB HID sometimes but the FLOOD mode of the Brinkmann IMHO is unmatched in shock value (not even by the POB).

And when I saw the title "po' po'" it sounded so interesting it made me look at the thread, lol.:D

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol, I was working one night, and one of the drunks comes up and goes. "Hey, that's a maglite, my dads got one of those" I tried to explain, "no, m@g85, not a regular maglite" purple spots, temporary blindness, etc. They still didn't believe me. So I say "Ok go nuts, just keep it out of people eyes." They still don't believe me and so this dude turns the light around 180 degrees and shines it in his own eyes, point blank. It was friggin brilliant, his whole face was completely washed out by light. I almost died, the look of shock was completely worth it.:crackup:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the ROP and why is it so bright? Is it the same thing as a Mag 85? If not what is a Mag 85?

Tried a google search and reading the stickies but still no closer to understanding why the ROP is so bright, what exactly it is, if it's the same thing as a Mag 85.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the ROP and why is it so bright? Is it the same thing as a Mag 85? If not what is a Mag 85?

Tried a google search and reading the stickies but still no closer to understanding why the ROP is so bright, what exactly it is, if it's the same thing as a Mag 85.

the ROP is an abbreviation for Roar of the Pelican, so named because its a standard mag, with a Pelican Big D Lamp. the Lamp needs something like 7-8v to run bright, so a battery holder is used, most commonly one made my Fivemega, or you can also use Li-on D sized batteries. You can use the stock reflector and window if you dont plan on running it for long periods, but if you do want to make full use of its runtime, you will melt the stock reflector and lens if you dont replace them. if you want a more specific guide, pm me..:)

a mag 85 is similar, but it need abit more work. it uses a WA xxxx85 bulb (the front numbers escape me) thus the name. But instead it needs 10v+ to run. also, the bulb is a bi-pin, not a pr base like regular mag bulbs, so you need to either get an adaptor of some sort, a whole new socket, or a potted bulb from litho. this is commonly done in 3D mags. Generally you should change the switch for a low resistance hi temp one as it runs a fair bit hotter.

Crenshaw

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am always prepared for this to happen too, I have been carrying my rechargeable Brinkmann Big Max 3 million MaxPower Qbeam everywhere at night, I also carry my POB HID sometimes but the FLOOD mode of the Brinkmann IMHO is unmatched in shock value (not even by the POB).

And when I saw the title "po' po'" it sounded so interesting it made me look at the thread, lol.:D

yes, but i think the look on the face of a "surefire is the brightest" user would be absoulty priceless if youve got more lumens coming out your "sucky" maglite. :D:D believe me, i was that guy at one point.

Crenshaw

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
the ROP is an abbreviation for Roar of the Pelican, so named because its a standard mag, with a Pelican Big D Lamp. the Lamp needs something like 7-8v to run bright, so a battery holder is used, most commonly one made my Fivemega, or you can also use Li-on D sized batteries. You can use the stock reflector and window if you dont plan on running it for long periods, but if you do want to make full use of its runtime, you will melt the stock reflector and lens if you dont replace them. if you want a more specific guide, pm me..:)

a mag 85 is similar, but it need abit more work. it uses a WA xxxx85 bulb (the front numbers escape me) thus the name. But instead it needs 10v+ to run. also, the bulb is a bi-pin, not a pr base like regular mag bulbs, so you need to either get an adaptor of some sort, a whole new socket, or a potted bulb from litho. this is commonly done in 3D mags. Generally you should change the switch for a low resistance hi temp one as it runs a fair bit hotter.

Crenshaw

Wa 1185

kris23

Newly Enlightened
this story...... priceless....

i wanna do that some time, my uncle is a police officer too and he SWEARS by Streamlight!

he knows im a tech geek but doesnt know that ive been looking into flashlights for a while now.....

if i built an ROP or better into a mag, i think knowing him hed just buy it off me

importculture

Newly Enlightened
I've only ever heard it used in a disparaging or derogatory way, so when I read your title I assumed it was going to be a post about an altercation with an out of control officer.

Any chance you're from Hawaii shreknow91? We call the police po po here all the time. Non-derogatory just local slang.

qarawol

Enlightened
I like to compare Flashlights with LEO. There was a city party several weeks ago and "MANY" LA Sheriffs around. During the night, I ask to see their... Stinger, Ultra Stinger, SL-20X, MAG, etc. to compare it to my hidden 'ARC mania' Extreme Micro no dome Platinum Dragon driven a @ 700mA (only two in existence that I am aware of). Imagine their faces when I show them a single CR2 driven Flashlight.

Njoy...