Severe weather last night and power out for 6.5 hours...

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
We had a couple of severe storms go through here last night. A tornado went through the south end of the town I live in taking out some houses and damaging some businesses. The same storm with a tornado in it continued through another smaller town east of here where it killed one person and demolished half of the town. I didn't have any damage except from baseball sized hail (the largest I've seen in person so far in my 42 years), but my power was out for 6.5 hours. A neighbor two doors down had a whole tree fall over on their house. There are entire trees and numerous branches down all over town.

My Safe-Light on low came in handy for navigating around the house as well as my EDC- the NDI. I used my Lowe's TaskForce 2C Cree with it's longer throw for checking out the size of the hail on the ground after coming up from the basement once the tornado warning was over. I used my River Rock lantern for an area light in the house for a while after I remembered I had it. :ohgeez: I also used my Sam's POB to check out how much water was coming down the drainage ditch I live right next to. This is the most I've used my lights in years, and was glad I had them.

Retinator

Enlightened
This year seems to be becoming a SHTF year for all kinds of things.

Those 9 volt based lights are excellent for such things. I have a super Paklite, and even the low mode is very useful.

There's been some good thunder storms here last week/early this week. Power only flickered off for a few seconds once :(

Stay safe ppl. Stock on batts now while you can.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
we lost power here for 10 hours awhile back because of 80 mph winds. I used my homemade CCFL 4AA lantern and a cheap 3AAA 3led headlamp with 3 led taplights and a few 1D energizer accent LED lanterns to light up the place. I didn't fire up my 18watt dual tube flourescent lantern nor my 3D dorcy 1watt LED flashlight I did go outside with my streamlight lux jr and looked around at the house and trees to see if things were ok.

allburger

Enlightened
Awesome story!!!

The funny thing is, most people would have used a simple maglite 3d or something similar to do everything you did, but you were prepared enough to have multiple lights to suit the situation.

The area light is awesome, thats something I need to pick up.

The POB has an awesome throw and brightness, good work!!!

LEDrock

Enlightened
Awesome story!!!

The funny thing is, most people would have used a simple maglite 3d or something similar to do everything you did, but you were prepared enough to have multiple lights to suit the situation.

Wrong! Most people would have a 99 cent Kmart special with dead or corroded batteries in it sitting in their "junk drawer" or in a box with things they never use and can't find when they need it. :rolleyes:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Ray-O-Vac 2D Industial with a Drop-in was ready. So was my 4AA Eveready folding camp lights. You know that 2D works suprisingly well, pretty good throw and lasts for hours! Of course I have 7 ML1's for backup, no doubt about them working. One never knows, 100 CR123's for backup as well. :D

Last edited:

Cydonia

Enlightened
Wrong! Most people would have a 99 cent Kmart special with dead or corroded batteries in it sitting in their "junk drawer" or in a box with things they never use and can't find when they need it. :rolleyes:

Yeah you've got that right :crackup:

Had another thunderstorm the other day (mild short lived electrical storms are all we experience here it seems). Unplugged the computer Tripp Lite isobar and phone line to ADSL right away. Later heard on the radio that lightning had struck a pole transformer a few km away! Close one... I wonder if any power surges resulted. Always unplug anything of value at first signs of a storm in case of lightning strikes and surges...

Last edited:

geek4christ

Enlightened
Great story. I haven't had a power outage since becoming a flashaholic, but stories like these make me actually look forward to them (minus the dangerous weather part, of course).

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great story. I haven't had a power outage since becoming a flashaholic, but stories like these make me actually look forward to them (minus the dangerous weather part, of course).

I know what you mean. We had the worst ice storm in decades around here back in December (2007) and power was out in a huge portion of town and the county for days, even weeks for some people, but mine was only out for about an hour total (couldn't believe it, but was glad that it wasn't longer). I never got to use my lights then, so took the opportunity this time.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I know what you mean. We had the worst ice storm in decades around here back in December (2007) and power was out in a huge portion of town and the county for days, even weeks for some people, but mine was only out for about an hour total (couldn't believe it, but was glad that it wasn't longer). I never got to use my lights then, so took the opportunity this time.
I lost power in that storm for about 4 1/2 days here. I think I went through about 30 AA batteries. I used a car charger in my truck several times... a must have IMO although I have lots of alkalines why use them if I can recharge?

Led75

Newly Enlightened
We had a couple of severe storms go through here last night. A tornado went through the south end of the town I live in taking out some houses and damaging some businesses. The same storm with a tornado in it continued through another smaller town east of here where it killed one person and demolished half of the town. I didn't have any damage except from baseball sized hail (the largest I've seen in person so far in my 42 years), but my power was out for 6.5 hours. A neighbor two doors down had a whole tree fall over on their house. There are entire trees and numerous branches down all over town.

My Safe-Light on low came in handy for navigating around the house as well as my EDC- the NDI. I used my Lowe's TaskForce 2C Cree with it's longer throw for checking out the size of the hail on the ground after coming up from the basement once the tornado warning was over. I used my River Rock lantern for an area light in the house for a while after I remembered I had it. :ohgeez: I also used my Sam's POB to check out how much water was coming down the drainage ditch I live right next to. This is the most I've used my lights in years, and was glad I had them.
I did the same Im in Wichita!...luckily the worst missed us ! My kids had some EO1,s i had my Civictor river rock lantern ready!