Project Headlamp

moonfish

Newly Enlightened
P1010065.jpg

A bare Q5 and an edison behind a cut down reflector that still throws a big floody beam. Driven by 7135's from DX.

moonfish

Newly Enlightened
I'm having a bit of trouble with my connection. I will check back later.

snoboy

Newly Enlightened
Looks like it was a Princeton Tec Yukon Extreme.

I scored one of those yestreday for $2 at a garage sale. Just needed some cleaning due to a leaky battery. Not totally stoked about the throw/brightness compared to my modded Apex, so I'd love more details on this mod.

moonfish

Newly Enlightened
My net was bogging last night. I had this whole big thing wrote up and then...

It was a yukon extreme. There isn't too much not shown except for a copper slug behind the emitters and they are arctic silvered to it. There's quite a bit of copper in there, more than an ouce, I would say. An hour with a block of copper and some solder to make two posts of different height. They are soldered to a circle that is just big enough for the screws that hold the unit together to hold the slug/lens assembly in.

I wanted to put the drivers in the back half of the unit but it would be hard to get them tucked back there and put the unit together. That's why the drivers just sitting beside the emitters with a dab of hot glue. It isn't an elegant solution but at least it was easy.

The switch is the 12mm "clicky switch for flashlights" from DX. Too much heat killed the old one. It is an easy replacement and being mounted to the board holds the switch in place snuggly.

The effect is quite good, especially the bare Q5. It throws a large globe of light, 30' or so around you with the full 1000ma. I've become a big fan of bare emitters for walking around where it is really pitch black in an unfamiliar place.