ultimate pocket light

rdg178

Newly Enlightened
what is the ultimate pocket light that one could buy with out spec'in it out

johndoeslo

Newly Enlightened
Novatac 120P (I have one on me right now)
Ra clicky? (not out yet but has big promise)
Surefire UA2 (a little big for a pocket but very feature-rich; also not out yet)

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not enough of an expert to give the most well-informed answer, but since you've let this one fairly open to interpretation... (;))

I was looking for very reliable little "pocket light" last year and ended up with an Arc-AAA. In fact, I ended up with two of them (one for my pocket, one for my camera bag). If you're looking for the brightest light you can possibly fit in your pocket, this won't be it. But, I arguably get more real use out of the Arc-AAA than any other flashlight in my limited collection (based on the number of times it gets turned on). Kind of like the pocket knife I carry around compared to those I have sitting in the drawer. I actually use the ones I carry around because they're there when I need them. And the Arc is so small, I hardly even notice it in my pocket...but since it's there, I tend to use it. Pretty cool little flashlight.

071012-027a_small.jpg

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Depends on what you mean by ultimate. Many people have many different definitions.

Do you want toughest? Brightest? Most modes? Smallest? Custom?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at the McGizmo Lunasol. There are 2 sizes to choose from. Both are good choices.
Read about the Lunasol concept in the Mcgizmo forum.
Many who Own the (either) lunasol consider it to be the ultimate flashlight with 2 distinct beams and amazing build quality. Oh and yes be prepared to pay since these are semi custom titanium flashlights designed to work hard for a LIFETIME of use.
You really can't go wrong here since you could buy one today (good luck finding one, but it is possible) and use it for a year and sell it for what you paid for it, maybe more.
Look in the BST forum they have been showing up there on a semi regular basis.
McGizmo is soon going to put a wave of Lunasol 20's for sale. Soon is relative since there was a recent setback putting the wave back a month or so. Meanwhile Lunasol 20's are commanding premium prices.
At the moment there just aren't that many out there.
If you look and let people know that you are looking you will find one.
Like I said Good luck.
Get one.
Yaesumofo

Zenster

Enlightened
I'll take the "ultimate" description as being a light that does lot's of things really well.
From personal experience, I'd go with the Novatac 120P due to it's programmability and ease of use.

I'm up to over 30 LED lights now of all sizes, and the 120P is still the one that fits almost any situation I find myself in.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
my ultimate pocket light to me that i have in my collection is the P2D

130 lumens tops, decent throw, 30 hrs on low mode.

one batt lasts a month for daily short time use.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Ultimate for me:

3 levels 1 really high(150 Otf) 1 really low(2 Otf) 1 a tad short of the middle of the road.
Output selection based on a secondary bezel ring's position, IE: head is always screwed on tight
Forward clicky or piston switch
Low profile SS bezel without spikes but with a tiny bit of a scalloping so I can see if its on when placed bezel down
Tint free bin of LED with low vF I guess R2 currently
1 Cr123 battery or li-ion compatible
Al HAIII or Ti construction
Glass lens with tough coating
Metal reflector light op
Additional tube so I can run it on an 18650 cell if I want to
Gold plated contacts
An optional/removable clip that is attached in a way that doesn't scream "something's missing" if I take it off
Waterproof but I don't need a dive light
Lockout capable
Tritium locators so I can find it in the dark

Anybody taking orders for full custom jobs!:grin2:

Last edited:

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gues everyone definition is different

I think single cell cr123 lights such as novatacs are to bulky for a pocket light.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
My criteria...

Durable & reliable (most important criteria)
Single CR123/RCR123
Twist-on tailcap, with some degree of a lock-out feature (no click switches for me)
Runs comfortably on either RCR123 or primary cell
glass lens
Good regulation & color tint (no blues or purples please)
At least 50 minutes of run using RCR123 cells
Cheap and easily replaceable (under $20)
Smooth transition between hot spot and side flood, does not need to be a thrower. Usable throw out to ~20-30 feet.
50-90 Lumens any less and its not enough for outdoor use, any more and it becomes blindingly unusable close-range.
Decently smooth threads and O-ring engagement
Splash/rain resistant

Multi-modes would be nice, but only if they do not hinder the reliability of the circuit.

I have an RC-C3 on the way, we'll see how many of these it will put a check next too:thumbsup:

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
I gues everyone definition is different
Bingo! "ultimate" or "best" depends on your needs. I haven't been able to find a compromise, so I carry two pocket lights: one on my keychain (green LED ArcAAA), and I rotate a 1x123 (SF L1, PD-S, a custom CR2 by tvodrd, L1D, etc.) in my other pocket.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ultimate light? Don't know.

Most used light? E0D w/14440. Low is dim enough not to blind you but hi is enough to be useful. It would probably be the Jet-u because of the memory function (can come on in low), but I don't carry mine anymore cause they're pretty much irreplaceable.

Most practical would be L1/2T.

I find as the price of a light, knife or whatever increases I'm less apt to carry it regularly. Would be different for an LEO or such, I imagine.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think "ultimate" is a pleasant, yet never-ending journey that us CPFers are always trying to reach. If I have found my ultimate light, I will not be in this forum anymore. What is ultimate for many CPFers today will be on BST tomorrow. With that said ...

My current ultimate EDC rotation is
(1) McGizmo Lunasol 20 - classy, elegant, and great combination of form and function

(2) Milky ML1 - recently added to my EDC rotation. Rugged, useful low, nice high, flawless beam, and awesome 2-stage LOTC

(3) Novatac 120P - Still one of my favorite light. It's not the brigthest, lightest, smallest nor most attractive ... but I love it.

(4) Draco - tiny little keychain light serves as a backup (primary when I'm not carrying my main EDC)

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK - ultimate light is one that is versatile, powerful, and most useful for the most general set of circumstances. And maybe also upgradeable!

So I nominate the SF 6P formfactor (I say formfactor because you can get it, as I do, in a cheaper, clone version).

You can get all sorts of tailcaps for it (infinitely programmable, tactical, strobe, simple on-off! whatever you want), different battery tubes (so you can use 2xCR123A, 2xRC123A, 1x18650), tactical or normal bezels, and, the most important, all sorts of different drop-ins.

You can get easily now the Q5 CREE LED drop-ins, you can get them in a throw or flood configuration, or have the best of both worlds (I have the Malkoff's, with the big throw, plus an SF diffuser which can transform the beam into a nice even flood). And you can choose lumen outputs all the way out to 235+.

As LED's develop, you can keep getting new drop-ins, enjoying the best of the best at a minimal outlay.

On top of which, the 6P clones are cheap, and you feel COMPLETELY FREE to use the light under all circumstances--normal and hazardous, domestic and while traveling (if TSA wants to confiscate it, no prob--OK, maybe a small prob.!). You can even do a bit of protective modding to make them fairly water resistant.

Note that those that offer the expensive 1xCR123A formfactor EDC lights point to one or another advantage (programmable for example), which is also available if you want or need it for the 6P formfactor--just by choosing the right drop-in or tailcap. (infinitely variable tailcaps and drop-ins do exist). The claimed advantage of multiple types of beam shapes (for some lights) can just be had by using the throw drop-ins plus the diffuser. If you want a specific color, you can get a filter for that too (even IR).

Finally, there is the issue of great runtime and POWER--this formfactor can put out the big light for reasonable runtimes, so it is the most appropriate for general flashlight use. It fits great into your hand, without the need to carry the 3xD maglite you'd have used in the past to do the job. The small EDCs are kind of more annoying to handle in your hand, less natural somehow.

Of course, sometimes you just want that very small versatile light (and arguments can be made in favor of the 1xCR123A formfactor, but also in favor of 1xAA or even 1xAAA--if smallness is an advantage, isn't smaller better?). But then that is a specialty use, not the ULTIMATE!

aussiebob

Enlightened
My go everywhere pocket light is a SF E2DL dual mode.

Love that little light, bright, strong and sturdy, has teeth.

:twothumbs

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ultimate for me:

3 levels 1 really high(150 Otf) 1 really low(2 Otf) 1 a tad short of the middle of the road.
Output selection based on a secondary bezel ring's position, IE: head is always screwed on tight
Forward clicky or piston switch
Low profile SS bezel without spikes but with a tiny bit of a scalloping so I can see if its on when placed bezel down
Tint free bin of LED with low vF I guess R2 currently
Cr123 battery or li-ion compatible
Al HAIII or Ti construction
Glass lens with tough coating
Metal reflector light op
Additional tube so I can run it on an 18650 cell if I want to
Gold plated contacts
An optional/removable clip that is attached in a way that doesn't scream "something's missing" if I take it off
Waterproof but I don't need a dive light
Lockout capable
Tritium locators so I can find it in the dark

That IS the ultimate light. Some of the above is really hard, but I can't understand why manufacturers can't seem to get the high high and low low right. Also, I also really want a light that adjusts with a turn of a ring (like a U2) or turn of the head (like a Ti PD-S).

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bingo! "ultimate" or "best" depends on your needs.

Yes, it would be interesting if rdg178 would elaborate on the original question. ;)

Everybody's "everyday" in terms of EDC is different (no matter what kind of everyday item is in question -- flashlight, knife, gun, camera, divining rod or whatever might be your particular oft-used items).