dyson may make electric cars soon.they sure make a nice vacumn

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. I'd certainly buy a Toyota vacuum cleaner.

Hey Raggie, good to hear from you.

Last edited:

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dyson is not making a car but rather, they are working on a motor for an electric vehicle that is based on their Dyson Digital Motor design. From what I can gather, the Dyson Digital Motor is an ultra-high speed switched reluctance brush-less motor that is being used in two models of Dyson vacuums and the Airblade hand drier. It's very compact and spins at almost 100,000 rpms at it's highest speed. I'm thinking it got it's name from the electronics used to drive the motor.

Most vacuum cleaners use "universal" type motors which are similar to series-wound DC motors. I've attempted to use a vacuum cleaner motor for an electric scooter myself. It got going (very slowly) on 12 volts but it took about 36 volts (two 18 volt drill batteries) to get it to hit 8 to 10mph. It was very noisy though due to the worn bearings. Maybe when I have a 96 volt traction battery.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Dyson is not making a car but rather, they are working on a motor for an electric vehicle that is based on their Dyson Digital Motor design. From what I can gather, the Dyson Digital Motor is an ultra-high speed switched reluctance brush-less motor that is being used in two models of Dyson vacuums and the Airblade hand drier. It's very compact and spins at almost 100,000 rpms at it's highest speed. I'm thinking it got it's name from the electronics used to drive the motor.

Most vacuum cleaners use "universal" type motors which are similar to series-wound DC motors. I've attempted to use a vacuum cleaner motor for an electric scooter myself. It got going (very slowly) on 12 volts but it took about 36 volts (two 18 volt drill batteries) to get it to hit 8 to 10mph. It was very noisy though due to the worn bearings. Maybe when I have a 96 volt traction battery.
i always wanted to make a electric scooter .i watch a show that they always do that stuff then race it agiast a gas one

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two Dyson vacs. Neighbor has a Kirby which I swear does a better job at cleaning and is quite the multi-functional tool to boot. Cost him a pretty penny for the complete kit, but it sure is a nice ensemble. However, I plan to stick to my Dyson and spend the savings on some nice lights :) .

Aluminous

Enlightened
Neighbor has a Kirby which I swear does a better job at cleaning and is quite the multi-functional tool to boot. Cost him a pretty penny for the complete kit, but it sure is a nice ensemble.

I don't think I've ever seen a Kirby vacuum in person, but I know of them because of the "Brave Little Toaster" movie that came out back in 1991 :D