A Surefire for my son's bailout/EDC bag - what would you pick?

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everybody - this is my first post and I am looking forward to all of your advice.

Here's the deal: I'm in the market for a Surefire light for my son, who is a big traveler, and I want to get him the best Surefire that he can always keep in his bag as a go-to light for emergencies and the like - it must work when needed whether in the city or country.

I guess it will be the most fun to ask:

If you had to rely on 1 surefire light for an extended emergency situation (say 3 days trapped in a metro tunnel, lost in the woods or mountains, earthquake, terrorist attack etc.), which light would you want in your bailout/EDC bag?

Parameters:
-Surefire
-less than $200
-stock surefire - NO custom work
-must be LED
-can be kept in an EDC/Bailout Bag (size doesn't matter)
-uses not more than 2 primary CR123s
-you carry a diffuser/beam-shaper
-you carry 4 extra batteries

Choose 1 from the following:

1 - L1 LED
2 - L2 LED
3 - L4 LED
4 - L5 LED
5 - E1B
6 - E1L
7 - E2L
8 - E2DL
9 - 6P LED
10 - C2 LED
11 - A2 LED
12 - G2 LED

Looking forward to the replies and thank you all in advance for your help.
-bullfrog

jchoo

Enlightened
I'd probably go with an E2DL (two stage) given the criteria you listed. It's plenty powerful enough, has great throw, and great battery life on low.

DesertFox

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the E2DL for the runtime and brightness. But the E1B or the E2L
would be close second, for maximum runtime.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
just some things to think about for a BOB light:

- waterproof
- shockproof
- long runtime on low
- decent spill for close up work
- decent throw for far away stuff
- locator beacon
- ability to find light (turned off) in the dark
- ability to tailstand

the ones that are important to you should influence your decision.

FYI, in my main BOB (i have smaller modular ones as well) im using:
- ZebraLight H50-Q5 (might want to do the H30 to share 123A batteries)
- Fenix TK10
- Glo-Toob Lithium

go_to_the_light

Newly Enlightened
I use an L4 for the same purpose. Haven't tried out the E1B or E2DL yet, but thinking about getting one of those.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
1, does it have to be Surefire?

Presuming I had the money, I'd get the Novatac 120P, RA Twistie or Clickie, Arc6 or multiple lights if I knew I was going to be under a slab on concrete after surviving a collapsed building due to a terrorist attack.

For both EDC and most emergencies, I'd have the Fenix P2D-CE Q5, or Olight T10, Nitecore DX10/EX10, or Nitecore Defender, or Liteflux LF5X, or Surefire E1B/E1L....

I'd suggest writing parameters to what you want the light to do. Runtime on low, Runtime on high? Output? Multimode? Switch? and so on.

:welcome:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would pick something with a low mode for long battery life. Having said that.........

The E1B or E2DL both have good range, a low mode, are fairly water resistant, below $150.00, and very rugged. You cannot go wrong with either one.

Bill

MstrHnky

Enlightened
i keep a surefire L1 in a small pouch at the bottom of my right arm strap for easy access, and my dereelight dbs and zebralight h30 in my bag. i also carry a fenix e01 on my keys and a jetbeam cl-e v2.0 for EDC in my back pocket. i just bought the nightcore ex10 to replace my jetbeam, but i'm sure i'll just throw the jetbeam in my bag as well.

i'm covered in all areas.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
1, does it have to be Surefire?

I'd suggest writing parameters to what you want the light to do. Runtime on low, Runtime on high? Output? Multimode? Switch? and so on.

:welcome:

Yes, I'd like to stick to Surefire. Not saying that other brands aren't as dependable, I just know and trust the reputation SF has built...

And, I wanted to leave those parameters open as one cannot really plan for an emergency. Basically, I am looking for personal opinions on the best all-around emergency light based on the info I had provided... I would assume an emergency light would be best suited with dual modes but I'd like to see what everyone thinks.

So far it looks like the E2DL is the favorite...

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
the E2DL is very good for the purpose. THe low runs for three days straight(I tried and it's true) and simple to use.

although if he is a frequent traveler, the E2L may be better to avoid raised eye-brows from over-attentive DHS and TSA folks.

and it's refreshing to see someone who is buying based on quality and reliability rather than price. As it is for you, for my family nothing short of Surefire is good enough.

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
I would go with the E2DL for the reasons listed above as well. My only concern would be the tail switch which leads me toward the L1. I have an L1 and there is no way the twisty tail can fail, I have had the clicky switch on my E1L fail before so I prefer the twisty ones. The E2DL sure does have nice output and runtime and the bezen sure wouldn't hurt to have either. So I would say either the L1 or E2DL.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everybody - this is my first post and I am looking forward to all of your advice.

Here's the deal: I'm in the market for a Surefire light for my son, who is a big traveler, and I want to get him the best Surefire that he can always keep in his bag as a go-to light for emergencies and the like - it must work when needed whether in the city or country.

I guess it will be the most fun to ask:

If you had to rely on 1 surefire light for an extended emergency situation (say 3 days trapped in a metro tunnel, lost in the woods or mountains, earthquake, terrorist attack etc.), which light would you want in your bailout/EDC bag?

Parameters:
-Surefire
-less than $200
-stock surefire - NO custom work
-must be LED
-can be kept in an EDC/Bailout Bag (size doesn't matter)
-uses not more than 2 primary CR123s
-you carry a diffuser/beam-shaper
-you carry 4 extra batteries

Choose 1 from the following:

1 - L1 LED
2 - L2 LED
3 - L4 LED
4 - L5 LED
5 - E1B
6 - E1L
7 - E2L
8 - E2DL
9 - 6P LED
10 - C2 LED
11 - A2 LED
12 - G2 LED

Looking forward to the replies and thank you all in advance for your help.
-bullfrog
+1 for the E2DL.

MaxIcon

Newly Enlightened
When I stock emergency lights, a lot depends on whether I want to use them in tactical mode or as general flashlights.

For tactical, like in the grab'n'go gun bag, I prefer the simple interface and sturdy build of a G2L or 6PL. The last thing I want to do in a crisis is have to fumble with my light for the right settings or have it come on in some mode I didn't expect.

For general purpose, like in the car kits and earthquake kits, I'm converting over to the Fenix P2D and P3D, because of the multiple light levels (low for task lighting with very long battery life, to turbo for when you really need to reach out), emergency signals, and compact size. I don't worry about the lack of a tactical clicky for these. I'm not sure what the equivalent in a Surefire is.

I keep one of each at my bedside table, and they cover pretty much everything.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
the E2DL is very good for the purpose. THe low runs for three days straight(I tried and it's true) and simple to use.

although if he is a frequent traveler, the E2L may be better to avoid raised eye-brows from over-attentive DHS and TSA folks.

and it's refreshing to see someone who is buying based on quality and reliability rather than price. As it is for you, for my family nothing short of Surefire is good enough.

Thank you very much - I'm glad we see eye-to-eye on that :D

So, how useful is the 5 lms low? 3 days is impressive - is it enough to hike/walk with?

Excellent point on air travel with the E2DL - looking at the edges on the E2DL, it does look pretty "aggressive," but can you really compare the 60 lm E2L to the 120 lms on the E2D? But who can say which output would really work best in an emergency...

Further, can a beam-shaper disguise the bezel adequately for travel? Has anyone had problems flying with the E2DL in carry-on?

Thanks to all so far for putting up with my excessive questioning!

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
the beam shaper will help, but the look on the face of the baggage checker when he pulls off the cover and reveals the teeth... yikes.

the 5 lumen low is enough for me to walk by and more than enough to use with dark-adapted eyes. The 60 lumen will be a bit dimmer than the 120 lumen E2DL but still very bright due to its efficient optics. The Low should be great for walking with a beam shaper on either the E2L or E2DL.

generic808

Enlightened
E1L or E2L would be perfect for their long runtimes, dual-modes, lightweight, and low price. I personally like the E1L because it tucks away in the pocket and goes unoticed.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I'm voting E2L based on criteria listed. The massive runtime in both useful modes would make a good emergency light, 6 CR123s total buys an hour of light per day on low for almost a year, I think this is a practical consideration.

If I were putting together a bailout bag of emergency gear and essentials, I'd have a headlamp way higher on the list than a handheld. :)

Eric