UK man jailed for lasing police helicopter

Reid

Newly Enlightened
So sorry. Do you think this will be used in the UK to justify an AU-like ban on lasers?
My guess is that these incidents (and this example is so perfectly flagrant and well-documented) will lead to real bans on lasers in many countries.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it is mindless morons like him,that spoil it for the rest.
It is my guess a ban will follow soon,as it is UK goverment policy, if one is stupid,then the whole nation must be.

Timelord

Newly Enlightened
I see that on the television news today and was delighted to see this idiot get 4 months behind the door.
I hope it serves as a deterrent to all the other idiots thinking of doing the same thing :caution:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
So sorry. Do you think this will be used in the UK to justify an AU-like ban on lasers?
My guess is that these incidents (and this example is so perfectly flagrant and well-documented) will lead to real bans on lasers in many countries.
Yes I presume that it will lead to more countries banning them. Its a pity that people like that can get their hands on them.

ken4514

Newly Enlightened
sucks to be that kid... they helicopter must have been pretty close for the pilot to know the address of where the beam was coming from. kind of dumb on the kids part.

Timelord

Newly Enlightened
They can pinpoint a rabbit with their infrared cameras from 1000 feet up, so spotting this stupid mug was not too hard for them. I have no sympathy for people that do stuff like this....

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
What a dope. That kid stole a car a few months earlier? I've got to wonder about his parents and the influences from his peers. At least his buddies will see that he got some time iin the slammer for this stunt.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder what happened to the laser in the end?
naughty.gif
Stupid kid.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's good to see one of these idiots actually going to jail for a change. I think they need to do more to stop people getting hold of high powered laser pointers in the UK.

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
I think they need to do more to stop people getting hold of high powered laser pointers in the UK.

And ruin it for the 99.999% of laser owners that would never even think of doing something like that? :shakehead

The article says this kid has several previous convictions for theft and vehicle taking. Yeah, I'm sure he'll grow up to be a valuable member of society :whistle:

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
And ruin it for the 99.999% of laser owners that would never even think of doing something like that?

You could say the same thing about guns. I fail to see any practical application for these high powered battery laser pointers. I think sales should be restricted to research facilities, military use or home appliances where the lasers operate in a sealed unit e.g. dvd players.

It would certainly be less controversial than preventing stupid people from having children.

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
I do say the same thing about guns ;) Banning things only prevent law abiding folks from possessing them, the bad guys don't care if it's legal to own them or not.

You're right about my solution being too controversial though. Sadly, most people seem to think having kids is a human right or something :(

Oznog

Enlightened
I fail to see any practical application for these high powered battery laser pointers. I think sales should be restricted to research facilities, military use or home appliances where the lasers operate in a sealed unit e.g. dvd players.

Bite your tongue!
Do you even know where you are??

paulr

Flashaholic
I do say the same thing about guns ;) Banning things only prevent law abiding folks from possessing them, the bad guys don't care if it's legal to own them or not.

I don't think bad guys desire these lasers much, it's not like guns or drugs for which the demand level is quite high and the people who want them, are willing to pay a lot and take considerable risks. The lasers are just playthings that are turning into a public safety hazard. Nobody wants them that much really. Banning or licensing the lasers would make them into something like fireworks, where yeah there are some illegal ones here and there, but not THAT many. There just isn't that much profit in illegal fireworks for bad guys, so they deal in other substances instead.

Somebody lased me at work the other day with a 30 mw DX unit they were fooling around with. I saw a green spot moving up my shirt and told them to cut it out and had a discussion about safety with them. They were not idiots, but rather, it's a bad situation in which these dangerous devices are being marketed like toys. I don't have any problem with the idea of regulating them at the level that, say, model rocketry stuff is regulated, to make sure their users take them seriously. It would probably prevent some eye damage and maybe even aircraft crashes.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somebody lased me at work the other day with a 30 mw DX unit they were fooling around with. I saw a green spot moving up my shirt and told them to cut it out and had a discussion about safety with them. They were not idiots, but rather, it's a bad situation in which these dangerous devices are being marketed like toys. I don't have any problem with the idea of regulating them at the level that, say, model rocketry stuff is regulated, to make sure their users take them seriously. It would probably prevent some eye damage and maybe even aircraft crashes.
Agreed. It used to be that things like >5mW green lasers were unrestricted, but prohibitively expensive. Now that it's possible to get a 100mW laser for $40 delivered from DX, there's a lot more "casual" owners who probably aren't familiar with lasers and laser safety, like someone who might be willing to drop $300+ would be.

I think that a surge in popularity of 405nm violet could be even worse as far as safety goes. For example, I know of a few people who were shining a green laser sideways into their cornea, in order to check out the scattering and speckle within the eye, and assuming it was safe because the retina wasn't being directly hit. Do that with near UV and the "light show" effect will probably look even cooler, as it will actually cause the cornea itself to fluoresce (similar to X-Raying your own head...). Unfortunately it will probably also lead to cataracts, too, as the cornea itself can be damaged from that kind of intensity shortwave light.

There will probably also be a false sense of security with those pointers as due to the low sensitivity of the eye to violet, they look very dim relative to the amount of power they have (and at a wavelength that is more damaging per unit power than red or green).