Weapon light with throw? Advice

righty

Newly Enlightened
I am wanting to purchase a light for my AR15

I want lots of throw.

A tape switch would be very nice.

I was thinking about the Dereelight DBS. There are several models and each has options to choose from. I can not find very good explanations of the differences between the models??? Help me out please.

Righty

Meltdown

Enlightened
for it's size a 6V surefire G2 or 6P with a Malkoff M60 drop-in LED lamp assembly is an excellent weapon light and can be very easily mounted in a huge variety of ways. Don't think I've seen a Dereelight on a long arm before but I'm sure it's been done.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
I know you've posted in the LED section, but a Surefire M961 has a lot of throw, more if you get the version with the Turbo head and use the MN16 LA.

pete55555

Newly Enlightened
Any 6V Surefire with a Malkoff M60 is the way to go. I currently use a Surefire C2 (with M60)mounted with an ARMS QD ring mount. Get the 1" adapter for the rings & it will hold the Surefire perfectly. I use a clicky tailcap but you could get a tape switch to fit.

righty

Newly Enlightened
DBS 3SD mounted on a 7mm magnum with a quick detach mount
dbs001.jpg

Lightforce2
Nice rig.

Now show me some of the bobcats and coyotes you have harvested

How far can you see a coyote with the DBS?

Righty

lightforce2

Enlightened
Now show me some of the bobcats and coyotes you have harvested

:huh2:............. I dont think we have bobcats & coyotes here in Australia. The DBS will locate a fox by their eye glint out to about 400m, I imagine yotes would be similar.

Here the target species, one of our major pest problems in Victoria

Last edited:

righty

Newly Enlightened
At what distance can you engage targets with the amount of light your DBS puts out?

What light mount is used for your DBS, pros and cons of the DBS and the mount.

blinder switch

Newly Enlightened
I have found that for my 5.56x45mm / .223 Rem Bushmaster carbines that this is a damn good set up for up to around 100 yds, and especially anything closer. SureFire E2DL with LaRue Tactical LT 606 offset mount and .83 rings. I have 2 now with 1 more coming, because it screwed up my edc, haha:whistle:. This light has some major throw with a tight beam for it's size.

e2dl02.jpg

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Hi Righty, do you have a particular distance and purpose in mind? Do you care much about weight?

Also, what kind of AR setup do you have (e.g. picatinny rails or not etc)?

lightemup

Flashaholic*
A couple of quick thoughts:

The Surefire M500B dedicated forend to my knowledge would have the longest throw and brightness in a milspec platform. 500 lumens of goodness with the high output lamp assembly :)

For a more compact setup if you're running pic. rails:
The x300 and new kx2c (replacement LED bezel for the scout light) LED's are (IMHO) no slouch in the throw department. I have not seen the kx2c but from what I understand it is identical to the e2dl. It depends on what your distance requirement is and how much you care about weight....

The x300 would accept the new XT07 Remote switch when it is re-released and the Scout light would take a UE07 remote switch.

Last edited:

righty

Newly Enlightened
I have a POF 415 16" Predator quad rail, with a SRT can, grip pod, Acog TA01 with a GGG accucam and a Vickers Tactical Blue Force Sling.
And now it has a DBS mounted in a Daniel Defense ring.

And thats my new TK11 next to the rifle.

CIMG4131.jpg

CIMG4132.jpg

righty

Newly Enlightened
I have the same X200 and the same laser as well. It is hard to know how to dress some mornings???

Wick

Newly Enlightened
For a more compact setup if you're running pic. rails:
The x300 and new kx2c (replacement LED bezel for the scout light) LED's are (IMHO) no slouch in the throw department. I have not seen the kx2c but from what I understand it is identical to the e2dl. It depends on what your distance requirement is and how much you care about weight....

The x300 would accept the new XT07 Remote switch when it is re-released and the Scout light would take a UE07 remote switch.

This is good advise. I don't know what range you need to reach out an touch someone at but the x300 seems to be a very good intermediate range light as well as very good for CQB. With the addition of the XT07 you get a tape switch and a disable switch. A great option.

The new Scout light is supposed to use the E2DL head which will make it a great light as well. I'm seriously considering ordering one of these when they become available and using the X300 for my handgun exclusively.

M4006.jpg

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oldie but goodie. TLR with Seoul P4. Won't throw like the lights above with big *** reflectors but the light is compact, light, and simple. The Streamlight TLR's are comparable to Surefires in quality. If you can tell from my equipment, only serious equipment gets to ride on my Colt. The setup below has remained the same for about 2-3 years now. The rifle gets banged around quite a bit and I trust the entire setup with my life.

DSC_1187cropped.jpg

righty

Newly Enlightened
Well, I tried out the DBS. Looking through the ACOG.

With light pollution in town, I was great to 200 yards.

Without light pollution I am good to 400 Yards.

I am satisfied. At least for now. I would like to see Surefire come out with the X950, 6,000 lm with a 9 hr run time on one cr123

Righty

Last edited: