Am I carrying too many lights?

cabbynate

Newly Enlightened
I carry 3 flashlights with me at work. I do emergency road service work (AAA) on a swing shift. I carry a Fenix L1D on my belt along with a Surefire E2DL next to it. I also have a Surefire G2L strapped to my carry bag. I think they all have there uses but some of my fellow work mates think I'm obsessed, that is until they need to barrow one because they forgot there mini mag. They get the G2L........
Am I carring to many?:candle:

Last edited by a moderator:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't read your post yet, just the title, but I can say with 99% certainty.... NO!
:thumbsup:

signal 13

Enlightened
I say heck no...:thumbsup:

I'm a police officer in Fort Worth, TX and I'll tell you that it's been my experience that LIGHT IS YOUR FRIEND! Of course I use my lights tactically, but when it's time to use it you gotta make sure it works well. And if it takes a dump, then it's always good to have a backup on your person.

Right now I carry a SF 6P on my belt, a SF E2E as a backup in my body armor vest pocket, and a weaponlight on my belt. I also carry a Blackhawk Gladius and a SF G2 in my go bag along with extra batteries just in case.

My fellow officers think I'm nuts, but they don't complain when their piece of crap light goes out on them and I hand them a spare light that WORKS and works WELL.

I'm in the process of building a rechargeable M3. I'm all about punching holes in the dark, especially at distance. So I'm actually thinking about getting the KT4, but I think it would be pretty cumbersome on my belt.

m16a

Enlightened
3 lights? Heck no!!! I say carry three times that and you would be closer to enough. I EDC 4 lights right now. I have a dexlight x.1 in my pocket, a q3 with a seoul p4 in it, an arc-aaa on the keychain and a nitecore d10 in a holster on my belt

ackbar

Enlightened
I think they all have there uses but some of my fellow work mates think I'm obsessed, that is until they need to barrow one because they forgot there mini mag. They get the G2L........
Am I carring to many?:candle:

carry as many as you need to do your job. You may want to try the following. Carry 1 that is visible. Hide the rest. Then the next time the person who was busting your chops asks for one just state that you took their advice and now only carry 1 light and cannot loan it to him/her. :D

mwaldron

Enlightened
I've always subscribed to the "Two is one, One is none" philosophy where possible, but over the weekend I heard a new one I like better: "A pair, and a spare."

So if you have 3, you're covered. a Pair for you and a spare for your less prepared colleagues!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
You work outside at night and only carry 3?!

I work in a hospital in a city during evening and night shifts in a building with emergency generators that can run for a week and are on a 3 second delay and I carry in 4 lights plus a headlamp so I think you are fine. Ok maybe you are lacking just a tad. You need to throw 1 headlamp into the mix! :twothumbs

I figure on the locked psych ward you need to be prepared.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
im with ackbar on this, i normally hide most of my stuff, so that way people dont ask to borrow this and that and that one, how about the other one, etc...

AND for ur job, u need a flashlight! i remeber when my radiator hose blew, a road side guy came to help out, and he had a big old orange lantern spot lightthing that was the size of a shoe box, and had a crappy beam, so i whipped out my E2D and everything was alot better seen, ( this was at 830 pm which was dark at the time ) so yea, the only problem i see is runtimes! lol u need a long running bright light.....or rechargeables or something.

or a head lamp, or maybe u can clip ur flashlight to ur cap or something, that'll def help

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry at least 2 lights, usually 3-4 lights...

so 3 lights are not too many, unless you find it cumbersome...

Shreknow91

Enlightened
As stated before... 2 is one and 1 is none, therefor, you need one more to actually have three...

I like that pair and a spare...

I am more like " two pair and a spare"
(yes I carry 5:sick2:)

rtt

Enlightened
I think you have to ask yourself the following question " how many lights did I actually use in the last 3 months". If you honestly answer this question you can determine how many lights you should carry:thinking:

cabbynate

Newly Enlightened
You work outside at night and only carry 3?!

I work in a hospital in a city during evening and night shifts in a building with emergency generators that can run for a week and are on a 3 second delay and I carry in 4 lights plus a headlamp so I think you are fine. Ok maybe you are lacking just a tad. You need to throw 1 headlamp into the mix! :twothumbs

I figure on the locked psych ward you need to be prepared.
I forgot to mention the head lamp. Make that 4 lights. I use that a lot with tire changes and battery changes. (my surgery).:laughing:

cabbynate

Newly Enlightened
I think you have to ask yourself the following question " how many lights did I actually use in the last 3 months". If you honestly answer this question you can determine how many lights you should carry:thinking:
All 4. Sometimes when I'm doing a lock out I need the AAA member to hold 1 light coming from across the car and I have another on my head or in my mouth. Last week I had 2 people holding lights to light up the inside of a car. With the E2DL and the G2L it looked like daylight on this car and it was pitch black were this car was parked........

loszabo

Enlightened
"Two is one and one is none!" - Anonymous operator.

I carry one on my body (typically A2 in my Woolrich Tactical Elite trouser pocket), one in a belt holster (weak side), and one in my backpack/BOD. :shakehead

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast

By this standard, I am going to need more pockets!!! :faint: