How to read Surefire numbers?

Student99

Newly Enlightened
Don't know if this has been discussed before. When reading the serial number on a Surefire light can one tell how many of each model was made up to that one? Or, is the number some random number for accounting purposes internal to the company?

Last edited by a moderator:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How to read Surefire numbers

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that they are numbered sequentially. Can anyone confirm this?

Size15's

Flashaholic

The serial numbers appear to increase the longer the product is in production.
It's reasonable to assume SureFire advance the serial numbers sequentially but we don't know whether SureFire sticks to this without exception.
For example I know of an unrelated manufacturer that assigns all products sold to a specific customer within a ring-fenced range of serial numbers.
I have no idea whether SureFire do anything like this.

Al

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

The serial numbers appear to increase the longer the product is in production.
It's reasonable to assume SureFire advance the serial numbers sequentially but we don't know whether SureFire sticks to this without exception.
For example I know of an unrelated manufacturer that assigns all products sold to a specific customer within a ring-fenced range of serial numbers.
I have no idea whether SureFire do anything like this.

Al

Side note...Happy Birthday! :)

generic808

Enlightened
I wouldn't doubt that they are numbered sequentially, well, at least by lots. I once purchased three 6P's from from local gunshop and wound up with serial numbers ending in 56, 57, and 59. I guess 58 got mixed up in the bunch.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a database that we can use to check which serial number

was assigned to which model ???

Size15's

Flashaholic
There will be a 6P with the same serial number as a Z2, M3, etc.
The Serial number doesn't identify which model it is.

The serial numbers are useful for telling one flashlight from the rest [of the same model]. The serial number serves no other solid purpose*.
[*except where there are limited editions such as the Titan T1-TI]

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
There will be a 6P with the same serial number as a Z2, M3, etc.
The Serial number doesn't identify which model it is.

The serial numbers are useful for telling one flashlight from the rest [of the same model]. The serial number serves no other solid purpose*.
[*except where there are limited editions such as the Titan T1-TI]

What about the serial on a U2 Porcupine ???

What Im getting at, is to tell if its genuine or not

Size15's

Flashaholic
What about the serial on a U2 Porcupine ???

What Im getting at, is to tell if its genuine or not
There is no way to determine whether a U2-PP is 'genuine or not' based on the serial number. The Porcupines aren't limited edition in the Titan sense (1000 made and numbered specifically to represent that) - the Porcupine serial numbers are on the body and SureFire pulled x number from stock and fitted modified bezels to them.
The exception is the L6-PP where the serial number is on the KL6 but again it's a production KL6 fitted with a Stainless Steel Strike Bezel ring and a hand-selected LED for output quality.

If you are concerned that a U2-PP isn't a real SureFire, or is a U2 modified to look like a U2-PP show me some photos and I'll be able to tell you.
There have been two versions of the U2-PP - the latest version having a Stainless Steel Strike Bezel ring.

Al

rtt

Enlightened
I cannot speak for SF serial number methodology, but I can relate my experience with other large companies. Sequential serial numbering of hardware is a US government requirement (IRS, Consumer Safety, etc). The serial numbers may have different blocks of numbers but in the block they must be sequential.

The sequential serial numbering is also helpful for the Mfg because it can bracket a product that may have safety issues that may require safety notification or recall.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I called SF a week ago on their serial number. I was asking if it's possible to determine production date from it and was told the serial number is completely random and is meant to help the end user like a police department manage the inventory.