Received a light DOA

Ecko

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a couple of low budget lights and a few fauxtons from Deal Extreme. However one of the lights was DOA, it's a Cree XJC B-6 .

I'm not too savvy when it comes to all the inner workings of these things. When I pushed the tail clickie nothing happened. When I took off the tail and let the spring touch the battery and the threads at the same time the light came on.

So I thought if I stretch the spring a bit it might work, well the spring popped out of the tail cap and I stretched it a bit. I got the spring back in the little hole but still the clickie doesn't work. However it does work if I just loosen and tighten the head a bit.

I know it's only a $15 light but it pisses me off when I buy something and doesn't work.

So I paid for a clickie and now have a twisty. :sigh:

Last edited by a moderator:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear this. That's why I rarely buy the el cheapo stuff. It's more expensive in the long run.

Buy better quality stuff and it will work better and last longer.

Ecko

Newly Enlightened
Well, I do have a few high end lights but after buying the RC-N3 Cree Q5 and being impressed by a $25 light I figured I would try out one or two more.

Besides I can't afford to only buy lights that are $60 and up, plus I end up with a couple of lights to leave in various places around the house.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can return it for an exchange or refund by opening up a support ticket through dealextreme.

i've gotten some iphone video cables that didn't work and exchanged them no problem.

i've learned to always read the reviews and comments of their items before i buy now.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The switch has contact problems, stemming from either a bad solder joint or from loose parts. Take the swtich apart with either a pen or small needlenose pliers, examine all solder joints and reassemble. If there's anything loose when you first disassemble the assembly, that's very likely the culprit.

Ecko

Newly Enlightened
Every time I try to open a support ticket and click submit it gives me an error and won't let the ticket go through. In the end I don't know if I even want to be bothered going through the trouble of returning it and will most likely consider it a slight loss, since it does work if I just loosen and tighten the head for on/off.

I do know that I will never again buy a light form DX.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never bought a flashlight from them personally.

As for the support ticket, I think what's happening is there are a few letters/numbers written that you must type exactly as shown in order to authenticate.
That is usually the first step, this authentication usually expires after 90 seconds.
Unfortunately, after that, you have to fill out other stuff which takes longer than 90 seconds so it expires.
When you hit submit it doesn't go through and asks for you to type in another set of letters/numbers to authenticate then it goes through.