SF G2 LED drop-in - best combo output/runtime?

grrickar

Newly Enlightened
I am relatively new to flashlight modding, and the options for the SF G2 seem to range from the Chinese Cree drop-ins on ebay to the higher priced (but likely better made) offerings by BOG and others. I picked up a G2 Nitrolon the other day with a gift cert at Bass Pro Shops.

I'm looking to get more runtime, and more output in the process. I'd like to stick with regular CR123s, and I'd like to have 3 hours of usable light. The stock P60 head only gives about an hour if I am not mistaken.

I'm leaning towards the BOG Q5 Cree drop in, but now I see all these multi-mode Cree drop ins. Ah...decisions, decisions. I'm not interested in strobes, but having 2 levels of brightness would be nice provided the lower mode would offer longer battery life (which presumably it would). I have some LED headlamps (actually I have a *lot* of them), and those with 5 modes sort of annoy me because I rarely use many of the modes, and I keep having to cycle through them to get to the one I want, which is really really bright, or low output (battery saver) mode.

Based on those desires, can you wise fellows suggest a drop in? I'd like it to fit without a gap, and without having to mod anything (isn't that the point of a drop in anyway?) I am also worried about heat in high output mode, so if there are concerns please educate me.

TIA!:D

zven

Enlightened
Well, the first drop-in that comes to mind for quality, efficiency and output vs. runtime is the Malkoff line. The M60 is the brightest, and I'd expect it to perform as well as, if not better than, other Q5 modules (such as the BOG). However, in a light with a Nitrolon (plastic) body, the M60 (and since they're also CREE Q5's, I can only assume the same for drop-ins from other sources) isn't recommended to be used for more than 15 minutes at a time, otherwise undissipated heat may damage the module.

Thus, since you mention runtime as well, I'd probably recommend the M60L. As I recall, it's in the range of 140 emitter lumens, which is plenty bright, and gives 4.5 hours of runtime. Personally I'd probably expect that to be about the best output vs. runtime ratio. (There's also a lower output module, the M60LL, that puts out 80 lumens for 8 hours or so.)

The plus side to the Malkoff modules is that they're of the best quality, they're produced by a guy who'll fix things if your module ever has issues, and they are different from all other P60 drop-ins that I've ever seen (e.g., how many other drop-ins use optics? Where else can you find a drop-in designed for flood, like the M60F? Where else can you find a drop-in using an efficient emitter like the Q5 that opts for higher runtime over higher output?).

Anyway, all that being said, those will only give you multiple levels if you find a tailcap or something else to do it for you. (Also, they may be more expensive than you're willing to spend, I dunno.) So an alternative that I've seen with many good reviews around here are the drop-ins from Dereelight. They've got options for single-level output, or multiple-level, as well as a range of options for different voltage inputs (such as if you want to use rechargeables), and you have the option of either smooth (for more throw) or stippled reflector (for a smoother beam). (And to my knowledge, none of their multi-mode drop-ins have strobes or anything like that.)

Well, sorry for the long post, but hopefully it's helpful.

--- Oh, and I just saw your mention of the drop-in fitting without the gap, so the Malkoff module may not be for you. It comes pretty close, and I don't really notice it on mine, but it is there. However, if you do go for a single-level drop-in, I doubt you'll find anything else (aside from the M60L, M60LL and M60LF) designed to operate in lights with plastic bodies. That said, the heat is only an issue if you plan to use it for more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time, I think, in case that makes a difference to you.

So I guess in the end, if it were me, the decision would be between the M60L and the Dereelight multimode drop-in. Deciding factors would be whether I expected to occasionally need temporary bursts of brighter light, the ability to switch to an even lower level, the user interface of the multimode module, and tint (if you're using 2 primary cells, then I think the available Dereelight modules will be noticeably cooler than the Malkoff modules).

GPB

Enlightened
Its not very exciting and won't generate much chatter around here, but you have the option of going with the Surefire LED module. Its rated at 80 Lumens and Surefire quotes a run time of over 10 hours ( I forget the actual number....it may be 12 ). Since you may end up with overheating issues, you might want to stick with a surefire product so that if it does go bad, you can appeal to their customer service department. They will certainly be more understanding if you meltted their bezel with a surefire module than a Malkoff.

grrickar

Newly Enlightened
Good stuff, thanks for the info. I had looked at the Malkoff devices based on some reading on this board, so I may look at one of those. SF prices the G2LED version at the same price as buying the G2 and the LED drop in, but I was not in the mood to shell out $50 after using my $25 gift cert, especially with no previous exposure to SF products.

My flashlight collection is a budget mix of things: River Rock 2C, River Rock lantern, Maglite 3D LED, Dorcy LED (the 3AA light with the battery carrier), and the SF G2 Nitrolon. I still like the RR 2C, and have given several away as gifts. The build quality seems great, but it is not a thrower. For looking for stuff indoors, or changing a flat it gets the job done. I carry one of those in the tail section of my sportbike.

The Dorcy LED spends its time in the door of my pickup, the lantern generally only gets used when I camp or the power goes out, and the Maglite was the brightest light I had until the SF arrived. The Mag still seems a bit brighter than the incandescent, so I'd put the Mag at maybe 70 lumens versus the P60 bulb at 60? I keep the Mag next to the bed - I figure it doubles as a self defense weapon :laughing:

My collection of LED headlamps ranges from a PrincetonTec Aurora, PrincetonTec Proton, River Rock 2AA, and my new favorite the Petzl Tikka XP. When hiking or walking at night in the woods, I favor a headlamp. Granted, I don't think they are as easy to mod :)

So I am worried about heat. The light may need to be one for extended amounts of time if I am changing a flat in the dark. I'll likely use the SF on my dual sport bike. I figure it will be good in the woods, but also good up close for working on the bike. I am worried that with the vibration of the single cylinder engine the P60 bulb could pop and leave me in the dark.

Last edited:

GPB

Enlightened
If you wanted to have a G2 that could be either incan or LED, you would be better off buying a G2L and a P60 ( incan ) Lamp for it. The G2L comes with an aluminum head while the G2 has the nitrolon head, and handles heat better. ( I dont' know if the have the same lense material ie: lexan vs pyrex )

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Its not very exciting and won't generate much chatter around here, but you have the option of going with the Surefire LED module. Its rated at 80 Lumens and Surefire quotes a run time of over 10 hours ( I forget the actual number....it may be 12 ). Since you may end up with overheating issues, you might want to stick with a surefire product so that if it does go bad, you can appeal to their customer service department. They will certainly be more understanding if you meltted their bezel with a surefire module than a Malkoff.

I like your idea. I have a G2Z with slip on SF red filter so overheating is a big issue as there is a great deal of plastic on the bezel. I also have a plastic G2.

surefire.jpg

I really like the all plastic G2Z. Sometimes people are so into lumens that often other aspects are overlooked. The G2Z is one bomb proof light. So is the plastic G2. I checked out this great thread on CPF.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/176621

Seems the heat made the output drop to 60 lumens but gave 4 hours of flat regulated output. Longer regulated output for me beats the extra 20 lumens with a field light. Anyways if I want super lumens in a small package I would just take my new L2D Q5. I have a 50 dollar gift card from Bass Pro shops and will order the Surefire LED drop in. If something goes wrong Surefire will take care of it. I would rather have a light in the field that works without any questions at 80/60 lumens than a 120 lumans with a aftermarket drop in that could fail in my all plastic G2Z

Edit.

Just placed the order. Total was around 47 with standard shipping. Glad I had the gift card. Thanks to this thread for informing me that Bass Pro Shop has Surefire products. :twothumbs

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
If you wanted to have a G2 that could be either incan or LED, you would be better off buying a G2L and a P60 ( incan ) Lamp for it. The G2L comes with an aluminum head while the G2 has the nitrolon head, and handles heat better. ( I dont' know if the have the same lense material ie: lexan vs pyrex )

I think the G2Z has lexan but don't know if there were any changes with the G2L.

Last edited:

grrickar

Newly Enlightened
The G2 Nitrolon does have lexan, not pyrex. Seems if I want a throw machine this is not the light to try and manipulate into one. I suppose I will get the BOG drop in that is lower power, or go with the Surefire drop in. I want that additional runtime out of the batteries, and to not have to worry about a blown bulb in the field.

With an 80 lumen drop in I'd say it should be as bright or brighter than my 3D cell LED Maglite, but just nowhere near the runtime.

From what I read about the Malkoff devices, there is a drop in that could turn that 3D cell Mag into a light saber, although due to the size it would not be very practical except in the truck.

I need a reliable light for the motorcycles. :grin2: