Ways of enlightening people around you

santza

Newly Enlightened
I would like to hear how you people are enlightening your friends/workmates etc. I think this is a duty that every flashaholic must do any way they can. You have to make people understand that a portable light can come very handy. :thumbsup: Most peoples idea of a portable light is a 2D plastic carbon-zinc container with bulb :ohgeez:

One solution which I've heard from many cpf'ers is to give away lights, which I suggest that everyone should do. I think that especially keychain coin cell lights are very effective since it is more likely that an unenlightened will carry it and use it when needed than a big D-cell lights.

If you own/run any kind of business that sells everyday stuff, you have a great chance of enlightening masses. Just make some bundle offers with keychain lights, eg. if you buy two packs of batteries, youll get a free keychain light. I'm planning to do something like this since it can also boost your sales (maybe customers buy two packs instead of one just for the keychain)

Just give away those keychain lights or sell them for mariginal price or bundled. That is my way to go :twothumbs What is yours?

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've given away my older / used lights, or bought lights on their behalf.

When CostCo had those Leatherman Monarchs, I bought several for friends and family!

Of course now they're trying out my NiteCore D10 and getting a sense what these new lights are like!!

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
i share mine all the time. my friends are starting to learn that it can be useful having a flashlight on you, even if its just an E01

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
Hmm that sounds like a good idea, i know some packages of duracell comes with lil gifts like a whistle and compass combo

when the superman returns movie came out, i believe the 8pk of duracell came with a lil flashlight lol....of course i had to buy a pack...:grin2:

with me, i have snakes and crittiers in my neighborhood, so natrually my gf is afraid of them, so she now carrys my P2D with her. =]

my parents both got some kinda keychain light because they think its pretty useful...

but i havnt found ways to shed light LOL on to those that are not close to me..... Hmmmm

Illum

Flashaholic
this post should hint a couple things... :Whistle:

In the past I've secretly attached fauxtons to everyone's keys wherever I go...I stopped buying from DX after they changed their policy but they used to be the cheapest way you can elighten people. :eek:oo::ohgeez:

I don't find myself in trouble when I'm with others, I'm more likely to suffer from problems like flat tires, getting lost in a place with no road lights, that sort of thing alone. So rather than enlighten others in those conditions, I use my light often on anything anywhere...you'll be surprised some people become very interested from the moment you flash one out while others take forever.

Whatever you do, don't start talking modes, lumens, stradians, or price, runtime is an okay number to discuss. It's like talking poltics on the dinner table or striking up a topic on quantum mechanics with the girl on the other side of the bar. You will find yourself talking [or walking] alone very soon...as all things goes, theory sucks, its whats of substance that really interest people

Last edited:

jag808808

Enlightened
I have given my older lights to friends and family. I do not really "collect" flashlights. All my lights are used quite a bit. If I do not use it, I usually give it away to "enlighten" some poor soul!

Aloha,

jag

Wyeast

Enlightened
I give away hand-me-downs, I find it's a double whammy.

1) They remark on how bright it is compared to their old light.
2) They start to worry that it's an imposition, whereby I demonstrate how much brighter the replacement I have is. :D

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's pretty tough with the masses. I still know lots of techies who work in the dark and near dark and they are a whole 'nother story. I've turned many of them on to lights that worked well for them that they would have bought earlier but they just didn't know that those lights existed. All I had to do was show them a light and they were on board. IMO the masses, on the other hand, not only don't know that better lights exist -- they still don't know that flashlights may be useful -- so there are two obstacles to overcome to get them on track for better lights.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a way, being a flashaholic means you have the mindset of always being prepared.

Not everyone has such a mindset. In modern society, there are so many sources of light, from the bright street lights, to room lights, to car lights, there really is very little need for most people to carry a flashlight.

But my motto is always be prepared, so my miniscule E01 and ND10 are always with me.

So I think it's a change of mindset for a lot of people in terms of being ready for anything, versus most people who are too lazy to prepare for unexpected events.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Non-flashaholics are generally very impressed and appreciate quality flashlights as gifts.
Having an EDC light tends to impress people when it is being used in an unexpected/emergency situation that requires it.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Give them a nicer light. I just gave away H30-Q5 lights to two good friends of mine.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Part of what makes being a flashaholic so worthwhile is impressing people by always having the BEST light at the right moment!

I say keep it a mystery!! How much fun would it be if EVERYONE had an awesome light? :nana:

mighty82

Enlightened
Part of what makes being a flashaholic so worthwhile is impressing people by always having the BEST light at the right moment!

I say keep it a mystery!! How much fun would it be if EVERYONE had an awesome light? :nana:
+1 I enjoy having something better than what the people around me have. :sssh: Although it would be nice to have another flashaholic to talk to in person. Not a lot of them around here :shakehead

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Start by using power throwers. Laymen equate throw with brightness. I have played with my tiablo around people, and although they keep saying "omg what are you doing, why are you being retarded?" then i say "give it a go"

then they say "hey, this is kinda fun!"

Crenshaw

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Start by using power throwers. Laymen equate throw with brightness. I have played with my tiablo around people, and although they keep saying "omg what are you doing, why are you being retarded?" then i say "give it a go"

then they say "hey, this is kinda fun!"

Crenshaw

Lol, I recall hearing "even the little one goes forever" from a few non-flashaholics. But a lot of them have been dissuaded by the cost of a hit of flashahol.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol, I recall hearing "even the little one goes forever" from a few non-flashaholics. But a lot of them have been dissuaded by the cost of a hit of flashahol.

yeah, thats the point at which most of them go...youre crazy!
oh welll...

Crenshaw