Is the Jet I Pro IBS still a thrower like the R2

MojoLight

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if the new Jetbeam Jet I Pro IBS is thrower like the older R2 non IBS version? It appears to be the same light with different emmiter and electronics...but appearances can be deceiving!!

Last edited:

Rzr800

Enlightened
Re: Is the Jet I Pro IBS

Supposedly the same reflector design for throw....different head...different beam (looks almost squarish on the perimeter)

After the most recent announcement void of any mention concerning forward clickies for this once proud AA series...it has most definitely become the red-headed-step-child of the Pro lineup up here on CPF for no apparent reason (class leader in output, throw, beam adjustment and even modability..but definitely a historic 'taboo' subject up here on the big board). :eek:oo:

DM51

Flashaholic

This thread title is annoying. It appears to be an unfinished question. Please edit it.

Rzr800

Enlightened

it wont be, the reflector is mop not smo, the only smo ibs pro released is in korea :mecry:

Good point and another that was never explained...as this light was not afforded treatment like any of he others in this series in terms of either advance or current reviews (thus my "no love for the red-headed-stepchild" theory). :whoopin:

MojoLight

Newly Enlightened
Hmmmm. Any suggestions for a 1 x AA thrower? I've thought about the Jet II ibs running the AA body, but it's mop also I think.

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
Physically the Jet-I Pro IBS and the Jet-I R2 edition are very similar. The new version is slightly taller, the new version no longer has the round coin edged disc below the head, and the brass lens ring is replaced by the standard ring found on all the other models. Other than that you would be hard pressed to tell them apart.

As for throw the R2 had the SMO reflector and was a bit more ringy. The new IBS version has the OP reflector, but doesn't seem to lose that much throw. I'll try to post some beam shots over the weekend for you.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Flavio
BugoutGearUSA.com

1 what

Enlightened
I've got this shot I did for another post (which I now cant find due to the loss of the "find all posts" menu).
It looks at the original Jet 1 Pro (non-IBS) and a Jet 1 Pro IBS with the 2xAA extension (That should not alter the output). There is also a Fenix T1 for comparison..
81249134ts3.jpg

MojoLight

Newly Enlightened
I've got this shot I did for another post (which I now cant find due to the loss of the "find all posts" menu).
It looks at the original Jet 1 Pro (non-IBS) and a Jet 1 Pro IBS with the 2xAA extension (That should not alter the output). There is also a Fenix T1 for comparison..
81249134ts3.jpg

Thanks for the beamshots! It looks like the new ibs version is about the same with a larger hotspot...could that be right?

I have a L1D CE Q5 and want something with a bit more punch in the throw department.

1 what

Enlightened
To my (ageing) eyes the IBS looks a bit brighter some of the time. The hotspot is larger. Regardless of comparisons I think the Jet 1 Pro is an impressive little beast even though some Folk hereabouts dont like it that much.

Citivolus

Enlightened
At 1m, a randomly selected Jet-I Pro IBS with OP was showing 4700 lux on my EA30, while my R2 with SMO was showing 3820. Both were using AW P14500 batteries. In my admitedly limted R2 sample, the spot is also 30% or so wider on the IBS, and both the spill and overall output are about 50% brighter (confirmed with measurements at a point mid-way out on the spill, and with ceiling bounce tests).

I've seen 4300 lux @ 1m in Selfbuilt's R2 test, and 4500 lux elsewhere, so even if you take those tests as representative and not as potentially hand picked samples, the R2 SMO vs the IBS OP isn't a net loss in throw. I have tested a few Jet-I Pro IBS's that exceed 5500 lux @1m, so the one I tested above was certainly not specifically selected by me for this test.

Side by side the R2 SMO can seem to out throw the IBS, but given the above lux numbers it is likely just a combined phsychological artifact of the tighter spot, the sharper edges to the spot, and the physical impact of how this results in greater pupil dilation due to higher overall illumination.

Regards,
Eric