Need a flashlight led LIKE the SF L1 Cree...more

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I already have a SF L1 Cree and I love it. I need 2 lights LIKE the SF. They are not for me, they are for 2 friends of mine.....is a gift so I need to keep it for $50 at most each, so $100 for both. So pretty much one 123 batt and REGULAR baseball cap CLIP; that can be securely clip to a baseball hat...2 stage low and hi.....and a CREE for efficiency...maybe something like 10 lumens or less for LOW and around 50 to 80 lumens for HIGH; the important thing is that the clip has to be of good quality so it can securely clip on a to a hat and stay there...like the SF clips do....what you guys recommend ?

Chris

carrot

Flashaholic
The unfortunate thing is most of the newer (Chinese) manufacturers don't see as much value in putting clips on lights as Surefire does. If you hadn't asked for a clip you'd be getting responses like "Fenix P2D" and "NiteCore EX10" and "Fenix L2T with a 123 body." You wouldn't be getting the interesting beam pattern of the L1 (which I love) as it is almost exclusive to Surefire, but you'd be getting close -- but no clip!

But if you can forget the clip requirement and throw in a NiteIze flashlight headband, then you would be all set.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the few affordable lights with a clip is Nitecore Extreme: link

I have an SF L1 CREE, an SF Backup and an Extreme and the latter is nearly up to the two SF's. :)
It has two levels (one programmable by you) and a nice rather wide beam.

A few more comments.

carrot

Flashaholic
Unfortunately the Nitecore Extreme has a bezel down clip, making it unsuitable for clipping to a baseball cap (unless you like blinding yourself), and based on OP's budget, he would only be able to get a light for one of his friends.

Delta1067

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a Jet Beam Jet II Pro from Bugout Gear for $66 with shipping. I know that is more than what you want to spend, but this is a great light. It comes with a great clip that can be secured either bezel up or bezel down. This light also throws really good and puts out well over 80 lumens on high. You can also set the high level and low level to a custom level of brightness.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I'd second the Jet-II PRO - the clip is bi-directional like the Surefire E1B, but with an even tighter fit (at least on my sample). I almost lost my E1B once when it popped off my belt during a hike. The Jet-II can also throw further with much greater (and lower) overall output - although with a standard reflector setup instead of the excellent surefire TIR optic.

You can compare the two on my 1xCR123A review thread in my sig.