LOTS of luxeon questions, Help!

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im taking a look at the luxeons for sale at the sandwich shop, and was wondering if anyone can answer some things for me:
- HD=lambertian=spot, LD=batwing=flood (yes?)
- What does the beam pattern look like for a side emitter? Does it project forward at all?
- BIN #'s are only for WHITE luxeons?
- What's the difference between blue and royal blue?
- What kind of resistor do i need to run a luxeon off a 12v auto power supply? Do i need a heat sink for this application?

Thanks for all the help!!
-ERiC

OddOne

Enlightened
Many Qs, many As!

1. HD (Lambertian) has a more even brightness across the entire output angle, where LD (batwing) produces a bright halo about 30 degrees off axis. Both HD and LD are 180-degree emitters.
2. The side-emitter only puts out 10% or less of its rated output straight ahead.
3. All Luxeon LEDs are binned, although you'll only see the #s on the back of the Stars' heatsinks - the emitters don't have room to hold that info.
4. Blue is blue (ranging from green to near-UV), and Royal Blue is more strongly blue to near UV. The Royal Blue will make fluorescent materials glow, where the blue won't.
5. Yes, you'd need a heatsink for ANY Luxeon LED run at its rated normal power. I'd advise against a resistor though if running one on 12VDC - you'd be better off with some form of voltage (or better, CURRENT) regulator. Sure it'd cost more, but it'd handle variations in input voltage more safely and make that Luxeon happier.

Hope that helps!

oO