Polarion PH-50 Main Thread (Part 2)

Team Member

Enlightened
Now I have been testing the PH40 for awhile and it´s an amazing light.

But now my Polarion dealer has threaten me to send me the PH50..

And after reading this excellent thread I probably will have to keep the PH50 when it arrives...

...where will this end...?

:D

vee73

Newly Enlightened

And after reading this excellent thread I probably will have to keep the PH50 when it arrives...

I´ll wait also......:bow: the PH50

Tessaiga

Enlightened
A Little Red Dot 1 degree North of the Equator

If you are threatned by the PH50, I would gladly receive it on your behalf.... I'll even pay for DHL / Fedex express shipping.... :devil: :devil:

Just doing what I can to help out a fellow flashoholic... :crackup:

Or if your PH40 feels neglected after your PH50 arrives, I'd be more than happy to step up to give her some love... just send her my way... :crackup:

Team Member

Enlightened
If you are threatned by the PH50, I would gladly receive it on your behalf.... I'll even pay for DHL / Fedex express shipping.... :devil: :devil:

Just doing what I can to help out a fellow flashoholic... :crackup:

Or if your PH40 feels neglected after your PH50 arrives, I'd be more than happy to step up to give her some love... just send her my way... :crackup:

I just might use the PH40 as a bookstand...:nana:

Patriot

Flashaholic
It never ends Team Member. I still use my PH40 from time to time and it always looks spectacular. Once the PH50 turns on it's a pretty noticable difference, even to inexperienced bystanders.

I'd say that the only disappointment that I've had was waiting for the updated battery which would increase the run-time some. They were announced at the beginning of the year and now we're in September. Perhaps it was never technically possible to begin with...but I'm not sure.

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
I was doing some photography this weekend to see how our new CSWL aka the "Night Reaper" would do in the environment.
I will post those shots later.

But I did a some digital "re-mastering" and produced this shot of a PF50 in action.
http://polarion-usa.com/images/PF50-FromTower.jpg
http://polarion-usa.com/images/PF50-FromTower-Lrg.jpg

This was literally a snap shot in the sense I just plopped the camera down and shot the image to get some meter references:
http://polarion-usa.com/images/PF50-FromTower2.jpg

I had a hard time getting clear shots from the tower because of the wind speeds. The tower is vibrating and sways as well. Nevertheless I did get some useable shots from and around the tower.

It is a fire observation tower that has a 360 panoramic view of the East San Diego County area all the way to the US/Mexico border and well beyond the coast line west.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060624/news_lz1dd24weeken.html

It's quite the trek up to the tower, especially at night.

I met one of the Park Rangers who mans the tower while I was riding motocross with my son in the area a couple of weeks ago. Got to talking with him about coming back at night. I don't think he really thought I was serious.

When I went to seal the deal, he then sent me to everybody and their brother to get permission...Things were not looking good.

After navigating my way through several layers of bureaucracy I finally got the thumbs up. Was greeted by Law Enforcement, Border Patrol and Specialized US Park Rangers along the trek to the tower the evening of the photo shoot. This is due to high level of "foot traffic" in the region. Which translates to drug trafficking and illegal aliens.

Once we lit off the lights, we started getting radio traffic inquiring as to what the heck was going on up there? Residents who know their area as far as 20 miles away were asking....This area has never had any type of significant illumination before.

I left the Park Rangers a PH40 with 3 batteries...They were blown away.

A. These folks needed it up there
B. They were gracious enough to let me use the area
C. Hopefully practical usage will generate some additional interest

I am now good-go-go anytime up there! Go figure? :D

I have found some really good potential spots for stretching these light out.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Nice pictures, even the set-up shot which had a little skylight in it. Very cool. I really enjoyed the fire tower story and the description of the journey back there. Those rangers must have been overwhelmed with surprise over your gesture. I'll bet it will bring you some further interest from that side of things. I was within just a few miles of that area about ... 3 weeks ago, so I was able to relate very well to the topography out that way. I wanted to do some exploring and had the mountain bike too, but I was a bit leery of all the boarder patrol activity and didn't want to attract attention to myself. I did hike up some big hill about a quarter mile from the dirt road and took my tripod and several large optics, along with a sandwich. That area is literally crawling with activity and I imagine that there is much more at dark. No one questioned me but I had the feeling that I wasn't easy to see, as I didn't skyline myself up there. I hope to be going back in a couple of weeks and plan on seeing some more of that area. Like you stated Ken, it sure would be a great place to stretch the legs of your light.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
That area is hopping, no lie. Between the Border Patrol and the illegal aliens and smugglers (drug and people), hang gliders, hikers, hunters, the "nude photography club" down the road from the Border Patrol checkpoint, there is a lot of activity for what appears to be a remote mountain lake and hiking trails.

Buckman Springs Road has a car chase probably every 24 hours. Undercover Border Patrol Agents prowl the area--looking like the "Whiskey Tango" that lives in Campo. Smugglers used to get on Interstate 8 at Buckman with headlights off at night going west in the eastbound lanes. Crashes involving huge casualties are common. Mercy Air probably makes more flights out there than anywhere in the county.

I've fired up my Costco HID to light up Sheepshead Mountain from the Buckman onramp. I've also used it to search the cow pasture at Buckman and Old Highway 80. That kind of darkness demands a lot of light. The Polarion will certainly be a valuable tool out there.

DM51

Flashaholic
Great shots, Ken. It looks as if you've hit on a real need for better lighting there. Here's hoping the Border Patrol will put in a big order with you.

Team Member

Enlightened
Took some distance photos showing how much the PH50 lights up an area tonight. Distance to the building just below the red dot is 660m/721yards.

ph50housecpfmh9.jpg

ph50housecpf2jd9.jpg

:thumbsup:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Team Member, I really like that shot because of the four different depths of field all captured in one shot. You're really spreading out the lumens in that one. It's still amazing to my that I light the size of the Polarion is capable of that kind of performance.

I rode my bike around some streets in my neiborhood a few nights ago and took the PH50 along just the horse around. I rested it on the foam grip on my handle bars so that it was in the close to the same position that a bike light would be in. I must have laughed for the first two miles about the amount of lights being projected and at the distance it was traveling. It's truly amazing and I'm very pleased about purchasing this light when I did, especially since the PH50's will be collectors items soon.

Team Member

Enlightened
A few days ago I was out walking in the evening with my PH50. I walked by the field that I have shown in some of my pics. When I walked back a man stopped me and started to ask questions if it was me who had lighten up buildings across the field :eek:

First I thought that I was gonna get my *** whipped so I answered him that "depends on what the outcome will be..."

Then he introduced him self as the chief at the Fire station and that he would like me to come down and show the light for all the other firefighters. :D

So next Tuesday I will be down at the station showing off the PH50.

But man, was I nervous at first :crackup:

DM51

Flashaholic
A few days ago I was out walking in the evening with my PH50. I walked by the field that I have shown in some of my pics. When I walked back a man stopped me and started to ask questions if it was me who had lighten up buildings across the field :eek:

First I thought that I was gonna get my *** whipped so I answered him that "depends on what the outcome will be..."

Then he introduced him self as the chief at the Fire station and that he would like me to come down and show the light for all the other firefighters. :D

So next Tuesday I will be down at the station showing off the PH50.

But man, was I nervous at first :crackup:
That is excellent! You have a great opportunity to teach them about lights. Take along a good selection - even a light you would regard as fairly ordinary will be better than anything they will have seen before. You'll be able to persuade the entire Fire Department to sign up for CPF. You may be able to give them advice which could make their jobs easier and even help save lives.

Team Member

Enlightened
Dropped by the firestation tonight and showed them the PH50...

First I asked if they had any handheld spotlights and if they could take one out to compare :devil:

They had a halogen based kinda light.

-Yep, this is what we have and it´s bright as hell... one of the guys said.

I told them to go outside and shine at a nearby building. It was maybe 150-200 meters away.

-That´s too far.... was a comment that I heard

:whistle:

-Here, test my light... I said, trying not to laugh my *** of when they turned it on..

-OOOHHH!!!!! F***ING HELL!!!!!!

...do I need to tell you more...? :crackup:

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
That's funny.
Couple of nick names we have for the Polarion Helios lights is:

The OS or the OF light

The O stand for "OH"

The S and F stand for: (I will let you fill in the blank).

Can't tell you how many times I have heard some variation of that phrase when demonstrating the lights head-to-head against lights folks bring out as "bright".