Home security questions

DieselTech

Enlightened
Hey all. I'm doing a bit of an upgrade to the home security system, and am looking for some help.

I've been looking at driveway alarms. We live 1/2 mile down a private gravel driveway, and it would be nice to know when someone is coming down the drive. I've been looking at them online, and there are more options that I expected. I don't know what the exact distance from the sensor to the house will be, but there are a few trees in between. I've actually thought about two alarms, one closer to the end of the drive and one nearer to the house. I can't decide between the motion detector and the proximity wire type.

I also want some sort of image recording device. What do I need to look for in video surveillance equipment? I don't want much; depending on the angle I can do one camera instead of two. The camera will probably be mounted away from the house, perhaps on an eve of the garage. I've thought about using one of those motion activated game cameras that hunters use to watch trails.

Any advice?

Rzr800

Enlightened
Whatever system you go with; layer it as opposed to relying on one particular system that could and will fail. Cameras should be DVR compatible time/date stamped (only thing permissable in court) and the recorder should be located (preferrably) off site so as to not be readily accessible.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
If you have a Sams Club nearby, they have some multiple-camera DVR options, including units with a network jack for remote monitoring while you're away. The DVRs (without cameras) start at $299 and go up from there.

DieselTech

Enlightened
Whatever system you go with; layer it as opposed to relying on one particular system that could and will fail. Cameras should be DVR compatible time/date stamped (only thing permissable in court) and the recorder should be located (preferrably) off site so as to not be readily accessible.

That's the plan. We have an alarm on the house already, and I'm going get some information on extending it to cover the shop, also. I'm also planning on putting a gate across the drive at one point, with a solar powered button operated opener. I'm also doing some smaller upgrades on a few other components.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The proximity wire sounds interesting. Anywhere I could get more information on this?:poke:

DieselTech

Enlightened
I did a Google search for 'driveway alarm' and they showed up on a site. From what I gather, they work similarly to a traffic light. You bury a wire, then when it detects the mass of metal in a vehicle passing over it, it triggers the alarm.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll have to check that out. I've found one that uses two wires. It seems to be able to detect any object that passes though the magnetic field.
http://www.bik.com/
I haven't downloaded the file so I can't say if it is safe or not..

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our custom homes are typically equipped with a combination of Panasonic DVR systems (min four channels), Sony cameras and cable run through tamper-resistant conduit. Sanyo is another trusted name in the DVR community. A simple motion sensing system with adjustable sensitivities will accomplish what you are looking for. You could always opt for something being offered at Costco, or Sam's Club. But I am one of those who prefers SureFire to Fenix, so my systems are based on the former suggestions.

X_Marine

Enlightened
Decide weather you need color or b&w camera and get the best you can, not necessarily most expensive. Make list of features, resolution, frames per sec @ what resolution, lines per inch, yadayada. Really it takes some figuring. If your considering multiple cameras then investigate a video card with multiple inputs. There are a lot of cheap ones but again do the arithmetic and read the fine print on what your getting with 2, 3 or 4 cams going. You need one with good specs while receiving say 4 streams even at slow frame rates. You really don't need 30fps for surveillance when 10 or 12 fps or even lower will surfice if it is clear. No camera will give good results without light. I would try CPF for some inexpensive IR lighting.. lol

AverMedia has some nice hardware and great software. Or you can use a little lower end hardware and a program I have recommended for yrs, WebCamXP. It can monitor almost anything and store only movement and archive anyway you like along with ftping (sending) to another location etc. Hard drives are so cheap today grab a cpl 500gig or TB drives and put on raid controller for reliability.

Buy all means try to wire it vs wireless as it has to many little pitfalls. Also check on using video Baluns with standard Cat5 or 6 cable.
Ok I'll try to cut it short.. :tinfoil:

On detectors, the cameras can alert you to activity of your choosing. Be it at least 5secs of motion or a very slight bit of motion all adjustable by you in software.

The second defense can be any number of motion detectors Passive infra red, MicroWave even ultrasonic but all will give some false alerts or none when it should have. Probably the most reliable is a good electric eye. Mounted stable and adjusted well can give multiple zones if the driveway isn't straight. And you can also go across and entry to a mirror which then travels up the driveway protecting an enormous area before reaching the reciever.

Anywho was in the biz for 25yrs, family owned and operated here in Houston. So if I can help with any of your Q's just shoot.
X/BillyD..

Arkayne

Enlightened
I just closed on a house and will move in tomorrow. Our breaker box is outside the house and is easily accessible. Couldn't a would-be thief simply walk up to it and turn off the the electricity to the house? No more cameras or recording gear. ?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I just closed on a house and will move in tomorrow. Our breaker box is outside the house and is easily accessible. Couldn't a would-be thief simply walk up to it and turn off the the electricity to the house? No more cameras or recording gear. ?

My first reaction to that is to put the DVR and as many cameras as possible on a UPS, but it might be simpler to move the breaker box. At the very least, put a tamper detection sensor on the breaker box so any vibration will trigger an alarm. This can be as simple as a magnetic reed switch on the panel's door.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
What ever you decide on, try to put the sensors far enough up the drive that you won't be constantly disturbed by those who just pull into your drive to take a quick whiz...unless you're into that.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Installing a UPS requires unplugging a device, plugging said device into the UPS, and plugging the UPS into the wall. Moving your breaker panel requires physically rerouting every single electrical circuit in your house. Behind walls. And installing a new panel, which is similar to installing a cabinet. Sure it can be done, but it's NOT a trivial thing. Use a UPS.

Most breaker boxes can be padlocked both for security and for safety, for whatever good it will do in this situation.

:buddies:

Aluminous

Enlightened
Moving your breaker panel requires physically rerouting every single electrical circuit in your house. Behind walls. And installing a new panel, which is similar to installing a cabinet. Sure it can be done, but it's NOT a trivial thing.

If someone were to be inclined to tackle that, the best situation would probably be if the interior side of the wall, directly behind the breaker box's outside-wall location, could be used. Then all the wires should already be in the correct place, just have to connect them to the opposite face of the same wall. :)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've never been a fan of putting a lock on a breaker panel. If there are no other options though, check your local electrical and fire codes before putting one on.

DieselTech

Enlightened
What ever you decide on, try to put the sensors far enough up the drive that you won't be constantly disturbed by those who just pull into your drive to take a quick whiz...unless you're into that.

We live about a mile down a gravel 'driveway' that's connected to the paved road that might see three or four cars a day. If you're on our driveway within range of the sensor, there's nowhere else you can be going.

HoopleHead said:
each time i see this thread title i keep thinking "shotgun"

The sooner you have warning that there might be an issue, the better you are able to prepare for it.