Petzl MYO

seanflash

Newly Enlightened
I have been researching the MYO type Petzl has to offer. Can anyone tell me what kind of batteries it takes? I am looking to be able to use non-rechargable because I have learned that with traveling it's best to get lights that utilize "common" and easy to find batteries. I'd also like the option to quickly dim the light.
Reliability and extreme durability are key for me.

Thanks to anyone with some advice.

http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?Produit=554&Critere=0

aussiebob

Enlightened
Myo's 3 and 5 run on 4AA i think.

And i definatly know the Myo xp runs on 3AA.

You want reliability.. id use E91 lithiums.

:)

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
have no worries about using alkalines in your Myo (XP???). i've used alkalines & NiMH (separately, of course) in several types of Petzl HLs w/unregulated LEDs. +1 on your suggestion of using commonly available cells when traveling - you definitely have the right idea.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Petzl and Li primary cells:

since OP didn't specify a Myo XP and related XP Belt version (perhaps in the link which i didn't examine???), but mentioned just "MYO", perhaps the following info is pertinent and useful:

there appears to be some confusion regarding the use of Li primary cells in Petzl HLs.

to the best of my recollection, according to Petzl, some of their HLs can use Li primary cells; some can't.

the ones that CAN are hybrid Myo's that use regulated LEDs and incandescent only Myo's & MyoLites. also, not that OP mentioned such, but for the sake of completeness, Duo's w/regulated LEDs (the older 8LED and current 14LED version) and most of their other, non-MYO/non-DUO incandescent only HLs CAN also use Li primary cells.

to put it more simply and succinctly,...

at this point, any unregulated Petzl HL with LEDs (w/the possible exception of the RXP which, i, at least, don't know if it's regulated or unregulated - so, it may NOT turn out to be an exception if it's in fact regulated) of any type CANNOT use Li primaries to power the HL.

hope this helps to clear up some of the minor confusion.

Last edited:

hopkins

Enlightened
I'l put my 2cents in on the use of lithium batteries in Petzl Myo and Tikka plus
If the air temperature is freezing 32F or below nothing to worry about as
the headlamps are being cooled just fine on the high settings.

But if you're in a warm climate only use the low settings for constant light and avoid the high settings unless used only very briefly.

Its all about heat and cooling.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Its all about heat and cooling.

quite right. for that matter if one were only to use the Li primary cells in a HL the Petzl warns against & were to maintain the strict discipline of NOT using HIGH mode for more than a minute or so (this "minute or so" is just for the sake of discussion - i haven't done any testing, so i don't know how long at what OAT it would take for heat build-up to become dangerous to the LED), sorta' like a mini-Boost mode, then one could probably get away w/using Li primaries at most any OAT and not just at a the near F.P. OAT.

refraining fr/using HIGH constantly and using it as a "mini-Boost" mode might actually be more easily doable w/the much brighter '08 Myo XP version. for my purposes MED is plenty bright for nighttime navigation on unfamiliar trails.

YMMV.

CampingLED

Enlightened
I have been researching the MYO type Petzl has to offer. Can anyone tell me what kind of batteries it takes? I am looking to be able to use non-rechargable because I have learned that with traveling it's best to get lights that utilize "common" and easy to find batteries. I'd also like the option to quickly dim the light.
Reliability and extreme durability are key for me.

Thanks to anyone with some advice.

http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?Produit=554&Critere=0

MYO XP uses 3 x AA batteries. Very easy to find and fits your criteria. Rechargeable also works fine. The XP always start at the highest setting and dims to med, low, flashing for next clicks. The only way to "quickly dim the light" is to flip the diffuser which will give a wider and less intense beam. Cannot speak for the other MYO models.