Stainless steel body

DCP117

Newly Enlightened
I'm kinda new here so I don't know if the is the right place to post this. I am lookig for a stainless steel body that will hold a Surefire P60 style drop-in. Basically I want something that I can paint different colors - metallic blue or metallic pink (for my wife). Any suggestions?

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello and welcome to CPF

Just wondering, is there any reason for it having to be stainless steel if you're going to paint over it anyway? There are lots of aluminium bodied lights that take the p60 dropin and a hard anodise finish will probably hold paint better than stainless steel.

DCP117

Newly Enlightened
Hello and welcome to CPF

Just wondering, is there any reason for it having to be stainless steel if you're going to paint over it anyway? There are lots of aluminium bodied lights that take the p60 dropin and a hard anodise finish will probably hold paint better than stainless steel.

True, and I dont mind using aluminium. Actually, I'd rather use it. The problem is most are black. Won't it be harder to paint with a black undercoat?

Marduke

Flashaholic
You can easily remove the anodizing with a little drain cleaner. However, keep in mind that a painted light will scratch VERY easily, and the paint will wear off extremely quickly.

DCP117

Newly Enlightened
You can easily remove the anodizing with a little drain cleaner. However, keep in mind that a painted light will scratch VERY easily, and the paint will wear off extremely quickly.

So is there anyway to seal after it's been painted so it doesn't wear so easily?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use Gun-kote, which gets baked on after application and is extremely tough. But it's opaque and you will have to mix your own pink.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
From what I've read both gun-kote and Duracoat work well. IIRC Duracoat works well too when applied directly to the anodizing. I'm not sure about Gun-kote.

All I know is that both are tough. I don't know how they are colored or how some are shiny and smooth.

You can probably also polish the light and send it to be anodized in Type II to what color you need. But Type II anodizing is not very tough and Type III is expensive/hard to color.

Paint won't work well if you want it(the color) to last for a bit.