• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: Lunasol 27 w/ 925mA highbeam

cryhavok

Enlightened
Hey everyone,

Time to let another light go as I'm a bit tight on cash. Sorry for the brief post as I'm using a study break to post this...feel free to ask any questions.

Here is a Lunasol 27 that has had the current of the XR-E increased to 925mA from the girly 425mA :D . The great thing about this light is that the 2 light sources each have their own converter board, so they can be manipulated independently. The ring of nichias receives the same current as the stock light, making this light very versatile because of the very long runtime on low and super bright high beam.

The light operates flawlessly and exactly as the stock light, just A LOT brighter. The light actually has good throw to it now. :thumbsup:

Due to the higher drive current, a RCR123 is recommended.

IMG_01009.jpg

IMG_01004.jpg

IMG_01002.jpg

IMG_0008-14.jpg

green tritium in tail.

Condition is as-received (meaning almost flawless. The body has no dings/chips. Only a few hairline scratches that can easily be polished out) The clip has 2 small fudge marks on the clip (were there when I received it) as shown in this picture:
IMG_0001-13.jpg

(They are not chips...the clip surface is perfectly smooth over the blemishes. )

Price is $TRADED. Paypal preferred. Please add 3% if using CC to pay. Price includes priority mail shipping with delivery confirmation. Insurance can be added at buyer's cost. I will not be held responsible for any shipping problems. Willing to ship internationally for a small fee to cover the cost of international shipping. First "I'll take it" wins. Winner will receive a PM with my paypal info.

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Re: FS: Lunasol 27 w/ 1A highbeam

Awesome trit pic. :faint:

Good luck with your sale, this should go quick! :poof:

EDIT: Ugggh..... Physiology, good luck on your test too! :devil:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast

Who did the mod on this light, or was this a special request from the Master?? I would love to put more power to my LS...

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast

425mA is bright enough for me.
I wonder how bright this monster is :thinking:

easilyled

Flashaholic

Who did the mod on this light, or was this a special request from the Master?? I would love to put more power to my LS...

Based on previous form, I would guess that cryhavok did the mod himself,
but I'm sure he will step in to confirm this.

Last edited:

cryhavok

Enlightened

Yes, the mod was done by me. I did the same thing with my S27-PD.

Just to clarify, the converter boards have not been changed/swapped. The original sandwich remains in the light, just the GD board has an extra resistor put on to increase the current.

easilyled

Flashaholic

Take this Lunasol into the dark of night, set it to high, cry havoc and
let slip the dogs of war :xyxgun:

Must be spectacular, but what would the runtime be on high?

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are those blemishes due to paint overspray?
That clip is pure beadblasted titanium, there is NO paint anywhere... God forbid.

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

Yes, the mod was done by me. I did the same thing with my S27-PD.

Just to clarify, the converter boards have not been changed/swapped. The original sandwich remains in the light, just the GD board has an extra resistor put on to increase the current.

Is this one pulling 1A at the emitter or 1A at the battery like in your S27-PD thread?

cryhavok

Enlightened

Oops...I just realized that GD board is configured to pull 925mA instead of 1A :crazy: I got confused with how the S27 is driven...Sorry for the mistake!
The light pulls 1.1A from the battery with the XR-E alone. It goes to 1.3A when the Nichias are activated.

Here is a little bit more info on the theory of the mod. Refer to this picture

The above picture is the GD board that Don uses as the driver for the Cree XR-E. It is a buck/boost converter board, so it can accept either primary or rechargeable batteries (as can the BBM board driving the Nichias. This is why the Lunasol27 can accept either rechargeable or non-rechargeable batteries. The Lunasol 20 uses a different driver for the different LED (a NG...meaning boost only), which is why it is limited only to primary batteries)

As you can see in the picture, if you look at the exact center of the board and then move up, you will see 1 small resistor soldered and a spot next to it for another resistor. The Lunasol comes stock with a single 0.12 Ohm resistor. This sets the current to roughly 425mA (actually 416.667, but I guess Don rounds up to 425, so I will for this explanation). This number is found with the equation Iout= 0.05/Rsense. Iout meaning what the LED will see. So for the stock board, Iout = .05/.12 ... Iout ~.425A or 425mA

For this mod, I soldered on a 0.1 Ohm resistor board to the second, open solder pad. This is how the GD board was designed to be used. If you order a GD500 from the Shoppe, it will come with a single 0.1 Ohm resistor soldered onto one of the pads. If you order a GD1000, it will come with 2 0.1 Ohm resistors soldered to each pad (500mA + 500mA)

Back to the mod, we get 425mA from the 0.12 Ohm resistor and 500mA from the 0.1 Ohm resistor, giving us a total of ~925mA to the LED.

The clip could either be polished or bead blasted again.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unless I have got this wrong there is no way to run the Lunasol on high alone without the nichias running as well. Does this mod have any effect on this?
What is the runtime on high after the mod?
This sounds like a great way to get the most out of the lunasol.
I am impressed by the mod and the price. good luck with the sale. (kinda surprised it has lasted this long)
Yaesumofo

Oops...I just realized that GD board is configured to pull 925mA instead of 1A :crazy: I got confused with how the S27 is driven...Sorry for the mistake!
The light pulls 1.1A from the battery with the XR-E alone. It goes to 1.3A when the Nichias are activated.

Here is a little bit more info on the theory of the mod. Refer to this picture

The above picture is the GD board that Don uses as the driver for the Cree XR-E. It is a buck/boost converter board, so it can accept either primary or rechargeable batteries (as can the BBM board driving the Nichias. This is why the Lunasol27 can accept either rechargeable or non-rechargeable batteries. The Lunasol 20 uses a different driver for the different LED (a NG...meaning boost only), which is why it is limited only to primary batteries)

As you can see in the picture, if you look at the exact center of the board and then move up, you will see 1 small resistor soldered and a spot next to it for another resistor. The Lunasol comes stock with a single 0.12 Ohm resistor. This sets the current to roughly 425mA (actually 416.667, but I guess Don rounds up to 425, so I will for this explanation). This number is found with the equation Iut= 0.05/Rsense. Iout meaning what the LED will see. So for the stock board, Iout = .05/.12 ... Iout ~.425A or 425mA

For this mod, I soldered on a 0.1 Ohm resistor board to the second, open solder pad. This is how the GD board was designed to be used. If you order a GD500 from the Shoppe, it will come with a single 0.1 Ohm resistor soldered onto one of the pads. If you order a GD1000, it will come with 2 0.1 Ohm resistors soldered to each pad (500mA + 500mA)

Back to the mod, we get 425mA from the 0.12 Ohm resistor and 500mA from the 0.1 Ohm resistor, giving us a total of ~925mA to the LED.

The clip could either be polished or bead blasted again.

cryhavok

Enlightened
yaesumofo,

You are correct, the normal operation will only allow low (Nichias) and high (Nichias + 925mA Cree).

However, you can get individual current draw measurements if you use a DMM. Because the light uses 2 different converter boards, there are 2 separate electrical paths. Although they share a common positive lead, you can measure the Nichias with the ground being the Kilroy and you can measure the Cree with the surrounding ring being the ground path.

With the stock light pulling ~800mA, Don quotes it to last for roughly 1.5 hours on high. This light pulls 1300mA, so I would guess half of this.