is there everled best choices conensus

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a late start looking into the everled threads. I thought it would be nice to start a new thread specifically for people to share their best everled host choices. This would preferably be for flashlights that required no or little modification. It would be nice to hear about the throw and beam patterns and possible comparisons with other lights. I know this would be really helpful for people that have had difficulty following the other lengthy thread. I followed it for a while but it got diluted after a time.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
interesting, after 184 replies in the how do you like your everleds, I thought some of the posters would wind up with a combination that they really like. Basically, I was just curious as to which flashlight you tried them in that you liked the most.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keith -- I am curious too. More than curious. It would be nice to know what host would be a really good fit before I buy an EverLED.

Perhaps no one found what he considered a really good fit? ? ?

Joel

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys:

I like my EverLed in a Dorcy knock-off by Sears. It uses 4-AA batteries and has a led that changes colors depending on how much power you have left in the batteries (indicator only works when the flashlight is on) EverLeds seem to give the best overall beam when used with faceted reflectors - IMHO. The light IS very white and it makes a great emergency flashlight. I gave an EverLed to my sister in a Turtlelite with lithium batteries - she never seems to have a working flashlight when the power goes out - the combo will be perfect for her. I like my EverLeds but for my money Elekrolumens makes the best 1 watt LS flashlight around.

MagLED II

Newly Enlightened
I use mine in a mag 2D and it has a perfect white beam. i found a focus that gives a balance of good throw and good over light. the ever led was born for the mag D cell light. i dont have to worry about blowing the Ever LED and my 2D has a new lease on life. i have a Versalux PR-2 in the tail cap for emergencies.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far, what is the best price anybody has found for these everLED's?

K A

Enlightened
Seeing as the only place to buy them (at this moment in time) is through LED Supply . The only price you are going to buy them at is $39.99 + S/H.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Right now, Everled is probably selling them as fast as they can make them, but down the road, I'd like to see a Canadian distributor so we don't have to pay Cdn$ 75 after currency exchange and US$15 shipping from LED Supply.

I'm sure all flashaholics outside the U.S. feel the same way.

<ignore>I don't find the word 'patent' on the Everleds home page, so maybe a competitor can step in soon.</ignore>

Oops, I did find 'patent pending' on the image of the bulb, so it looks like it'll be high prices until the early adopter channel is filled or a non-infringing competitor comes along. D*mn!!

hsjrev

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
RewopEldnac said:
Is there any headlights for bicycle that can take everled with no modification?

[/ QUOTE ]
My old 4AA secialized PreView works great and uses a PR bulb and is positive polarity but they no longer sell it. The vistalight Road toad http://www.vistalite.com/vistalite_03/03headlights.html looks just like it and uses the same type bulb but I don't know about the polarity on the vistalight.

flashlightDR

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if the EverLED can be used in a 6volt, latern type flashlight? What would the run time be?

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I don't know about this specific light, but looking at the front lens, I think I'd be a tad concerned, since the heavy ribbing would tend to put a 'busy' pattern on the road instead of a nice, smooth wash of light. The pattern would tend to interfere with your ability to discern obstacles, ruts, rocks, etc. I have a Cateye light and a cheaper knock-off light that looks similar to the Cateye, but the Cateye-wannabe suffers due to the pronounced ribbing in the lens.

The ribbing helps to produce spill-light that makes you more visible to on-coming traffic, but at the expense of your forward visibility. I think the point of the Everled is to guide your way, so try to avoid ribbing.

Also, I'd lean toward a 4 AA unit instead of a 2 C light, since the Everled works best with more than 3 Volts.

DonutPowered

Newly Enlightened
The Specialized Astro 2.4 Headlight works fairly well with no modifications. The beam is not well focused and there is much light spill. Compared to a Cateye Micro (the standard for light weight bike lights), it's a little dimmer and doesn't throw quite as far. On the other hand, the Astro is waterproof and the batteries are easy to change.

I also tried the 3000X from http://www.planetbike.com/headlights.html Don't use this one as the polarity is reversed and takes serious modification to work. Too bad, as this one has a much bigger reflector and is well built

RewopEldnac

Newly Enlightened
wow, performancebike has a lot of selections of "budget minded" (for poor guy like me) headlights, I am going to that store today. I'll post my report for the headlights that are compatible with everled.

RewopEldnac

Newly Enlightened
I got myself a Zefal HF635 from perfomancebike. It has 3 yellow leds, a halogen bulb and a little red led for low battery indicator.

I took off the halogen bulb, it is a pr base bulb. Then put it in a m@g 3D, and it worked.

At this point, I dont have an everled in my hand yet, so I am asumming that it is a good host for the everled.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
RewopEldnac said:

I took off the halogen bulb, it is a pr base bulb. Then put it in a m@g 3D, and it worked.

At this point, I dont have an everled in my hand yet, so I am asumming that it is a good host for the everled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just be sure to check the polarity <font color="red">before</font> you put you new EverLED in there.

The halogen bulb will work in your Mag regardless of polarity but the EverLED will suffer an early death if it receives reverse polarity.