Sushi Lovers?

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
Any sushi lovers in here? Looking to try something new...what's your favorite? I had some of the best Fatty Tuna in Las Vegas at the Venitian. Very expensive though. :broke:

Off to get me some sushi! :nana:

Regards,
Flavio

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Todai's Sushi Buffet is my favorite. I like quality (for buffet), variety, freedom to assemble my own from spare parts, and BANG for the buck. There's maybe a dozen of them in the US.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
heck ya!!! Best place is in Seattle (giant clam yummy), San Fran, or LA.

Doing sushi tomorrow!!!

bitslammer

Enlightened
Todai's Sushi Buffet is my favorite. I like quality (for buffet), variety, freedom to assemble my own from spare parts, and BANG for the buck. There's maybe a dozen of them in the US.

Not a wide range of choices here in SW Ohio but I always gravitate to a spicy roll of some sorts. Aside from that I like tuna, eel, yellowtail, and octopus. The only one I can't stand is Mackerel. Way too strong of a taste for me there.

The oddest one I like is a Natto Roll. Natto is fermented soybeans and it can have a very slimy texture and distinctive taste and odor much like a ripened cheese. I love it though as I do stinky cheeses.

Retinator

Enlightened
First time I tried sushi, I noticed a small ball of 'green paste'. I was like oh cool, but damn they certainly cheaped out here.

So i popped the whole ball into my mouth at once............

I nearly died, I was on the road with a friend (he was driving), no drink left and the wasabi just torched my mouth all the way home.

Now I know better.

Haven't had sushi for almost a year, I love crab, don't like tuna though.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good slice of Hamachi is pretty tasty!

FRESH Ika has firm flesh with a slight sweet taste that is great sashimi style.

My wife loves Ikura.

When I'm in the mood, Uni is a nice treat.

Typically, the more oily the flesh is, the more I will enjoy it.

IMHO, endless styles of Poke (usually chunks of raw seafod tossed with various ingredients) is just as enjoyable and whole bunch cheaper. Of course, finding it on the mainland may be difficult at best.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I just got involved with the whole sushi craze this year and I am still testing the waters. Thus far I stay with the mild stuff like California rolls and snow crab stuff.....I have not much taste for the truly raw and slimy stuff yet. I did try the Super Crunch and it was good as well as the Tiger Roll. Not sure what was in them however.

The newest thing around here is the whipped wasabi stuff. It is lighter and fluffy and mixes much better with the soy sauce than regular wasabi. It is also not as hot in my experiences.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
hardcore sushi eater (and snob unfortunately) here.

try a softshell crab handroll (basically a
"spider roll" but in a handroll), or just branch out and try as many nigiri (fish on rice, not rolls) as you can and see what you like. get friendly with the sushi chefs and ask them to make you something with whatevers the freshest that day, or their personal favorites. tamago (egg) is a nice cheap filler that is easy to learn, hard to master. i generally get a softshell crab handroll, egg, white tuna, fatty tuna (if its in season), salmon, mackerel, unagi (eel) and then something new and random. hamachi can be good when its good, but usually most places have crappy ones (its cheap and a lot of people dont mind bad ones). good tuna should not be fishy tasting! nor mackerel, even though thats one of the stronger tasting ones.

when fatty tuna is in season (tuna season is late spring to early fall, but fall-ish is when they store the most fat so grab it then) the o-toro is stupendous.

my best advice - try and be as adventurous as you can, share with friends etc. youll slowly but surely find your favorites, then compare different sushi places by trying the same items as each place. soon you will be able to indulge and delight your tastebuds every time you go for sushi :)

enjoy!

Last edited:

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sushi IS my favorite food!! I love salmon, white tuna, tuna belly, red snapper, scallops, sweet shrimp, yellow tail...... Yum!!

PS: To the OP:
If you ever come to the Cape, you must try Noble House in Harwich!! It is the BEST sushi on Cape bar none!

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The BEST Ahi-tuna I ever had was on Maui. Not sure what it is about locally caught yellow-fin but its just INCREDIBLE!! At least I think it was locally caught.

Spider rolls are my fave roll sushi. I have never tried a hand roll type though. I'm sure thats good too. Those fried crunchy little legs...Mmmm:thumbsup:

Unagi is also one of my favs... Unagi donburi (over rice) while not sushi is still one of my fave dishes.

The most bazzare thing I have ever eaten was Sea urchin. It was a couple nights before my wedding and I was half drunk at the time. It tasted like... vinegar mixed with dejon mustard... funky to say the least. I haven't had any desire to order it since.:green:

Surf youtube videos for sashimi... some pretty WILD vids. Sashimi that looks back at you and twitches on the plate. I saw one video where you walk into the sushi bar and there is a fish-bowl full of little crabs. The shef plucks one out of the bowl and plops the little critter in a pot of hot oil... Mmmm:twothumbs

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being from Japan you'd think I would've loved sashimi (raw fish) the first time I tried it. NOPE!:laughing: After a while I got used to it though, and I now love it more than my beloved BBQ.

I am addicted to fatty salmon. I could eat the stuff all day, but my favorite dish is called chirashi. You get a variety of raw fish that sits on sushi rice, so you get a little bit of everything. Pricy, but very well worth it if you know where to get the good stuff.

I'm actually hungry right now, so I better stop talking about this.:faint:

Last edited:

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spider rolls are my fave roll sushi. I have never tried a hand roll type though. I'm sure thats good too. Those fried crunchy little legs...Mmmm:thumbsup:

the place i always go to for these has lemon soy sauce (specifically for these), then you just dribble a bit down the inside of the handroll... mmmmmm

aussiebob

Enlightened
Love sushi, get a couple of rolls after school sometimes.

Favourites would be, Smoked eel roll, avacado and tuna roll and fried prawn roll.

:)

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
Just got back from Sushi and I was determined to try something other than the usual spicy tuna rolls and salmon rolls soooo...I had the following:

Fatty Tuna
Toro (Tuna Belly)
Tomago
Hamachi
Unagi
FOIE GRAS (Pan fried goose liver)
MIRUGAI (Giant Clam)

Everything was excellent including the Foie Gras, which I saved until last due to having second thoughts.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Regards,
Flavio