Novatac's sloppy o-ring

pipspeak

Enlightened
Just received my 120P from a fellow CPFer and he'd mentioned the tailcap was a bit stiff -- having investigated why, it seems the o-ring is a bit sloppy and when tightening or loosening the tailcap it squeezes the ring out of its seating so it gets all twisted up in the thread. Is this a "design" inherent to Novatacs or will a new o-ring potentially solve it?

Last edited:

Kanai

Newly Enlightened
I had the same problem when I got my Novatac 120P a few months ago. Just call Jesse at Novatac, he sent me two o-rings in the mail. Great customer service.

sawlight

Enlightened
No, that is not common at all!! I play hell getting the clip off of mine!!
Get some new o-rings.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's possible the lube used on the o-ring causes it to swell or to shrink.

I gave up on fancy lube on my o-rings and just use plain old vasoline because the manual for my HDS recommends it. Since it's not silicon it's not gonna get damaged.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's possible the lube used on the o-ring causes it to swell or to shrink.

I gave up on fancy lube on my o-rings and just use plain old vasoline because the manual for my HDS recommends it. Since it's not silicon it's not gonna get damaged.
I thought it was the other way around, silicone doesn't damage o-ring but petroleum does?

I use dielectrical (silicone) grease on all my o rings without problem.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought it was the other way around, silicone doesn't damage o-ring but petroleum does?

I use dielectrical (silicone) grease on all my o rings without problem.

It depends on the o-ring. I believe silicone o-rings are damaged by petroleum. Certain rubbers like Buna-N (I believe) are fine with petroleum. I don't really remember. There was a thread about it. But so far I'm ok with petroleum and if they fail I have some spares.

I used to use silicone on my o-rings but it caused some swelling.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think most o-rings are made with buna-n nitril rubber now anyway. Novatac says they use it in the user's manual, also is the cheap set I bought from princess auto.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think most o-rings are made with buna-n nitril rubber now anyway. Novatac says they use it in the user's manual, also is the cheap set I bought from princess auto.

I've also been using Vasoline on my mags for years and it's fine. I know there have been times such as with rubber hoses designed for water based stuff that was coated with vasoline to prevent drying get totally eaten away. I think it was a rad hose.

pipspeak

Enlightened
I use the teflon lube from my bike gear... not sure if it's synthetic but I think so.

But IME vaseline does tend to eat away rubber... it takes years to show any effect but some of my really old mags that I vaselined up once upon a time have very brittle o-rings now and when I wipe the o-rings all this black goo comes off.

But back to subject in hand... I'll contact Novatac and get some new o-rings. Thanks for the input y'all.