Starting them while they're young

jchoo

Enlightened
I gave my spare Inova X1 to my eldest nephew about three weeks ago for a camping trip. I haven't thought much about it, but on Tuesday I was over at their house and he came up to me and show me he still had it. In fact, he had tied a shoelace through the lanyard loop and wore it around his neck the whole trip. As if that weren't enough, his 4 year old brother wants a light, too.

I think it's time to order some more fauxtons...

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
Speaking of starting them young...I was at a concert last weekend (G. Love & Special Sauce :rock:) and I saw a 3 year old playing with an inflatable flashlight toy. I thought, now there is a good way to get the youngest of children interested in flashlights before they can even work a switch!

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pffff....4 years, 3 years....

I've got a photo of my three month old holding a Wee and smiling. The crazy thing is, it even looks small in HER hand!!!!
I'll post it if I get a chance tonight.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave my spare Inova X1 to my eldest nephew about three weeks ago for a camping trip. I haven't thought much about it, but on Tuesday I was over at their house and he came up to me and show me he still had it. In fact, he had tied a shoelace through the lanyard loop and wore it around his neck the whole trip. As if that weren't enough, his 4 year old brother wants a light, too.

I think it's time to order some more fauxtons...
I doubt a Fauxton will do after having that kid see the aluminum clad Inova :D...Time to get so paracord also, have them carry those in real style..:thumbsup:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shoot! My five year old already has his own collection. The Surefire doesn't ever leave his person. I mean he even bathes with it, and sleeps with it :laughing: BTW...That's one of the new KX2 dual output heads running off an AW rcr123a. He didn't want anything less than a 2 level SF. Tryin' to keep up with dad, ya know....:cool:

Matthew.jpg

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shoot! My five year old already has his own collection. The Surefire doesn't ever leave his person. I mean he even bathes with it, and sleeps with it :laughing: BTW...That's one of the new KX2 dual output heads running off an AW rcr123a. He didn't want anything less than a 2 level SF. Tryin' to keep up with dad, ya know....:cool:

Damn, spoiling your kid with a two level surefire when he's 5, whatcha gona get him when he's 15? :drool:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn I don't even have a SureFire. Yea that kid is gonna be owning some serious flashlights when he grows up LOL.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well at five, his hands are small....and he is tuff as hell on stuff. So, what better tough as nails, small light was I to get him :shrug: I only wanted to get the best for my young, aspiring, flashaholic son :thumbsup: Besides, I'm kinda partial to SF :whistle:

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
The guys at work bought my son an Early Learning Center "My First Torch" before he was even born. He started playing with it at about 12 months and now at 20 months loves walking around lighting up things. That's my boy!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think I waited too long to influence my son. I guess he was 13 or 14 when I discovered this crazy place and started sending some lights his way. It quickly became clear that his interests center more on swimming, running, music, girls, and, starting in a couple weeks, getting through college.

Geoff

skunksoup

Newly Enlightened
I was just going to post a story tonight about my son until I saw this so I will just add to it. Twice a week I will take a little night hike or walk and will take a couple lights. Well tonight I was putting my shoes on and my son (He's only three) never wants to go with me. Tonight was a different story he took off and came back around the corner with my Creemator and said he was ready to go! We took about an hour and half walk and It was something I will never forget! Now I have a new walking partner!

riceboy72

Newly Enlightened
I love this thread. Reminds me of when I was a kid and played with my dad's military flashlights, even in the daylight. Some things never change.

I bought my two and four year old nephews Mini Mags to see how they do with them. Granted, they're not that great of a light and they were fairly cheap, so if they lose them or break them it's no big deal. If they do well with these lights, I will step it up shortly and get them something better or convert them to LED. They each also have a cheap LED they use for dinking around the house, but at least they're getting started! They also got Black Diamond headlamps last year for Christmas.

I've also bought my girlfriend's six year old daughter two Mini Mags for her to run around the yard with. She uses it to read it bedtime and brings it with her wherever we go. In fact, I just bought her a headlamp tonight, too.

If there's one thing every kid needs, it's the chance to grow up with a few flashlights around!

jag808808

Enlightened
I hunted down a hot pink 2AA Mini Mag and Nite Ize drop in for my 4 year old baby girl. After it was put together, she loved it! She played with it every night and showed it to visiting family during the evenings. Last week she got a hold of my Fenix L2D Q5. She says that it is her light now. I can have the pink one!!!!!! LOL After that, I told her I was going to sell it so another little girl can have a hot pink light. She says "ok, go ahead." My honey laughed when I told her what she said!

I have the entire family carrying an E01 with their house keys. We all have purple. Now my little girl tells me "we can share that one!" She likes all my lights.

Aloha,

jag

Latest posts