I'm new to the flashlight world...

theflasher

Newly Enlightened
So, I have only one friend that has a 1 million candlepower flashlight/spotlight. His is the only one I have seen around where I live and I didn't even know they existed until I saw his... so I decided I want to buy one too.

The thing is, I got online just to see how the market is, and I have tons of choices for my spotlight. I joined this forum to get a little more knowledge before I make a purchase.

I was wondering if you guys could give me your opinions on the different types of spotlights: HID, LED, Halogen. You know, like which type is the brightest, which is cheapest, best throw, which has the most bang for the buck... That sort of thing. And if you don't mind, the top brands would be good to know too.

I am looking for a spotlight with a rechargeable battery, by the way. Any opinions and information would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Oh, also.. I am surprised at the level of interest in spotlights and big flashlights. To be honest, I didn't know it really existed until now. I am just curious, does anyone know how big the spotlight market is?

Cowley

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF Flasher. I was in your position eight months or so ago. I knew enough about lights that I liked what I saw when it cost more than a good lunch. Read, read, read the different sections of the forums and you will see examples of different lights and their beamshots. There is also a wealth of info regarding pros and cons of lights. From your studies you will start to form opinions of what you want in a certain light that is at the level you will spend. There is too much information waiting for you in the CPF threads to list it here. Have fun, read, ask questions and keep us advised of where your headed. Oh btw, as most of us newbies are cautioned by seasoned flashaholics...get your wallet loaded!

Cowley

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: good morning flasher, what a terrible time to still be up at lol, i need to sleep, its addictive watch out:grin2:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
One more thing, those "XX million" Candlepower light have trouble even reaching a million Candlepower, most reside between 100,000 and 300,000 actual Candlepower.

A good thing for us to know is what you will be using the light for.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
welcome to CPF flasher,

maybe abit more info like price & size of the light would help. especially the price part... :devil:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: to CPF. Spend some time looking into the various section. These halls have alot of information for you.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
theflasher said:
...your opinions on the different types of spotlights: HID, LED, Halogen. You know, like which type is the brightest, which is cheapest, best throw, which has the most bang for the buck...

Brightest - HID

Cheapest - Halogen

Best Throw - Sealed-Beam

Bang for buck - Halogen

theflasher

Newly Enlightened
This is an example of the type of spotlight I am looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vector-Power-On...ryZ16037QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Now that I know the size of spotlight I want. Is HID the best bulb type for these sized spotlights? Or are the Halogen or LED ones better? The price doesn't matter to me. But what is the usual price range for spotlights in this one's category? The price of this one seems pretty good to me. Is Vector a popular brand?

I don't want the light for anything special. I mainly want it because these spotlights are really awesome. But of course I will use it outdoors when I need a good light...

I hope this gives you more info on what I am asking... Thanks again.

HKJ

Flashaholic
For high power spotlights HID is best. High power spotlights can also be made with halogen, but they will use 3 times as much power, i.e. your will get short on time or large batteries.
LED can not really get up to this amount of power, they will have a heat problem.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
LEDs aren't at a high enough Light per area yet to compete with HIDs in throw. They also can't take enough power(without requiring many LED or a huge heatsink) to compete with most HIDs in output.

If you want a spot light, a HID would be best.

It seems like 4300 K tempreature is preferred here. It is more incan like in tint instead of the more blue of the 6000K tint of the bulb in the Vector Power On Board HID(ususally shortened as POB).

But for a starter the POB is a great light. They have been found on Sam's Club's auction site for around $50 shipped and have been found at the stores for under that price. Membership to Sam's is needed though.

The one main thing about larger Spotlight lights is weight, so if you forsee lots of use with the light, I'd get something smaller.

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one main thing about larger Spotlight lights is weight, so if you forsee lots of use with the light, I'd get something smaller.
That is why I linked him to LuxLuthors thread that talks about his mag mod list...I just sold my HID because it was just to big for me...I never used it....

Gunner12

Flashaholic
That is why I linked him to LuxLuthors thread that talks about his mag mod list...I just sold my HID because it was just to big for me...I never used it....

But for a new user a Hotwire might seem too daunting and the runtime might not be enough for what he will use the light for. If it is just show off or short uses, then the Hotwires should be fine. They are smaller then the HIDs but they also have a good bit less runtime.

Both have pluses and minuses.

It all depends on what the user will use the light for. An LED might even be enough for his uses.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED:
overall winner, because a Fenix L2D will be with You, when You need it, is not boring heavy or bulky, rugged!!! and gives an astounding amount of light for a light this small (we use it for MTB nightriding)

... but of course in a totally different light league than the
BIG spotlights as the one linked:

HID:
most brightness at lowest current used (say: longest runtime, or smaller battery pack).
No instant light due to heatup time (great show) :)
more technology parts that could fail

Halogen:
cheap, cheap, cheap,
no high tech drivinge technology needed
cheap

imho these spotlight are for special purposes and way better when driven by the power source of the vehicle they are used with
(or do You want to bring such clunky parts, offering no runtime at all, to a hike?) ;)