FNG: LumaPower MRV questions

gunfighter

Newly Enlightened
I bought a LumaPower Lumahunter MRV about a year ago when the Q5 version first came to town. I really like it by the way . . .

As I continue to learn about these new generation LED throwers, I have collected some questions that still confuse me;

1. What is the difference between my MRV generation 1 when compared to generation 2 and the digital version? Any chance of me upgrading? Would I want to?

2. In a recent performance graph below (thanks selfbuilt) I see that my brand of light has a lower starting output, but steadily loses output over a much longer period of time than its competitors. Why does LumaPower choose to run the LED in this manner when the competitors seem to try and hold the maxium output for as long as possible? Which is better? Can I change my driver to run my LED differently?

Thanks for your insights

SpearHi18650.gif

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes you can get updated engines straight from ricky. He will quote you a price. The MRV is designed for 2xr123 moreso than 1x 18650. You will always get brighter performance but shorter runtime with a 2 cell config.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. What is the difference between my MRV generation 1 when compared to generation 2 and the digital version? Any chance of me upgrading? Would I want to?

Basically you have digital and non digital MRV's with the Digital's coming later. Both version were available in a standard version and as a Q5 special edition. The standard version has low output when you loosen the light engine. The digital version has 3 additional output levels plus a 'lighthouse' mode when you loosen the light engine and the digital versions also included a forward clicky that was an option with the previous versions. You can purchase both a Q5 Digital light engine and forward clicky switch and bring your light to the current latest spec on our website.

2. In a recent performance graph below (thanks selfbuilt) I see that my brand of light has a lower starting output, but steadily loses output over a much longer period of time than its competitors. Why does LumaPower choose to run the LED in this manner when the competitors seem to try and hold the maxium output for as long as possible? Which is better? Can I change my driver to run my LED differently?

Basically, on 1 x Li-ion the MRV is not driven at full power but at about 20% under full power. To get full power you can: run it on 2 CR123A or 2 x RCR123A 3.7V OR you can buy the M-65 Power Extender which lets you use 2 x 18650's which gives you maximum output AND more runtime. There are different approaches to regulating lights - LumaPower's for the MRV on 1x18650 allows the light to taper off slowly rather than shutting off abruptly - basically trading off runtime for output. Neither is better; they're just different approaches.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I flat runtime can be a lot better in a job where you use a flashlight. Others do push the LED to get a maximum amount but sometimes you dont need that much light. Many of surefires tactical lights range from 80-120 lumens. I think this may say a lot about how much light we really need vs how much we think we need. I could be wrong though.