How is this setup?

MilitaryPower

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I have a Malkoff in a 6P and a BOG Super Premium in a G2 with a metal head. The G2 I have mounted on my AR and the 6P is my EDC. I have in the mail a R2 WC 4-mode 280 lumen D26 from PTS and a metal head to go on another G2 I have.

This is what I was thinking, providing that the R2 drop-in is at least as bright as the Malkoff. Put the R2 in the 6P. I would like to have more light modes available for EDC, not just a searing beam of light. Put the Malkoff in the G2 on the AR, and put the other G2 with the BOG on the shotgun. Keeping in mind that both G2's will have metal heads (one original that came with the 6P and the other a crenulated from G&P).

Oh yeah, and a couple more questions! Why won't a A19 battery extension work on a G2? Should I do anything will aluminum foil for heat? My BOG has a white/yellow hotspot but a blue/purple outer ring, and doesn't seem nearly as bright as the Malkoff (or T1 for that matter) and to my eyes doesn't throw more than a hair further (maybe wishful thinking?). Is this normal? It seems different than the reviews I've read where the two where really close. Or maybe the color difference is really effecting my judgement?

Thanks!

yalskey

Enlightened
I have in the mail a R2 WC 4-mode 280 lumen D26 from PTS and a metal head to go on another G2 I have.

This is what I was thinking, providing that the R2 drop-in is at least as bright as the Malkoff. Put the R2 in the 6P.

As a former owner of that R2 "280 lumen" D26 drop-in from PTS, I can tell you without a doubt that it isn't as bright as the Malkoff. It isn't as bright as my Fenix TK10 either. It's got a wider and duller hot spot than the TK10.

I think 280 lumens is pushing it. If my TK10 is 225, I would put the R2 drop-in at about 190-200 or so.

Sorry to burst your bubble dude.

MilitaryPower

Newly Enlightened
So the R2 isn't as bright huh? Oh well, I'll have to compare when I get it to see if it will be good enough. I like the T1 because of its ability to go to 60 lumens but being able to go even dimmer is better. Plus the strobe would be more powerful than my L2D CE. I figure a mulit-function light would serve as a better EDC than a weapon-light, even if it is a little dimmer. Plus my weapon-lights are easy to detach if I need them.

Any answers to the other questions?

Zenster

Enlightened
So the R2 isn't as bright huh? Oh well, I'll have to compare when I get it to see if it will be good enough. I like the T1 because of its ability to go to 60 lumens but being able to go even dimmer is better. Plus the strobe would be more powerful than my L2D CE. I figure a mulit-function light would serve as a better EDC than a weapon-light, even if it is a little dimmer. Plus my weapon-lights are easy to detach if I need them.

Any answers to the other questions?

Judging by your post count, you aren't yet "immersed" in the the culture of CPF.
So first, :welcome:

And then some advice I think you'll find helpful is that you should rarely trust lumens claims.
Before you decide to spend real money, do a bunch of searching on CPF and read up on what others who have spent the money before you have to say. They may do you an invaluable service of "taking one for the team" by wasting their own money but helping others to spend theirs more wisely.

Then a second bit of advice is that you already have the best drop-in available... the Malkoff. Unless you simply "need" another drop-in, I would wait until Gene starts building his with the brighter emitters that will be coming available. If you need another, look to Malkoff again.

My .02, and worth every penny. :wave:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the PTS R2 even fit in Surefire's? Isn't it a whole different form factor that fits in their very short sniper flashlight bodies? Let me know when you get it if it actually fits in the 6P or the G2.

As far as your set up is concerned, ehh. The BOG "super premium" is yet another overhyped chinese pill with exaggerated lumens claims. Its probably down in the 180 lumens range or less compared to the Malkoff M60 making an honest 220 plus coming out of a Surefire head.

I have dual Solarforce units with 1 extension tube each so I can run the 17500 X 2 battery set for good strong run time and Malkoff M60, M60F, or Solarforce R2, I also have dual pressure switches. I can put flood or spot on anything for over 2 solid hours, or both, hit them with over 400 lumens. They fit into the standard 1" tube mounts to go into the rifle, and slide right out of there and go into the clamped bike mounts, slide right out of there and go in my belt holsters.

The all Aluminum housings keep everything running cool. Everything is intechangeable. In addition to that I have the Lumens Factory 150 and 320 lumens lamps. I can run the flashlights with no extensions off 2 primaries, 2 RCR's, with one extension each with 3 primaries or 2 X 17500s, with 2 extensions and 2 X 17670 batteries for even better runtime with more consistent output (especially for the LF lamps).

The Solarforce single mode R2 pills have been shown to put out upto 220 lumens (measured in a real integration sphere). It was only $20, I know the BOG super premium is twice that price with less output. The Malkoff M60 puts out that much, the M60F puts out 202. The combination of spot/flood is very powerful.

MilitaryPower

Newly Enlightened
Here's a little mini review. It is not as bright as my T1 or Malkoff. It is about as bright as the BOG, BUT has more of a flood whereas the BOG has more of a throw. The color is not quite as warm as the Malkoff and T1, but better than the blue/purple/yellow of the BOG. More of a cool white. It doesn't throw as far any any of them, but seems to have more flood. Not necessarily useful flood, but there is more of a big ring of light compared to some of the other lights. I estimate it at about 180-200 lumens. The medium is about 55 lumens compared to the 40 lumen mode on my L2D CE. The low is about 15-20 lumens based on the 9 lumen low on the L2D CE. It fit into the G2 with no problems. Operation was easy, and no discernible warmness was detected during my "tests". But I'm still going to put on the metal head anyway.

Overall, not a bad drop-in, but after reviewing it, I don't think I would have paid what I did for it if I got to play with it though. I could have used that money to buy another Malkoff (I was very tempted). The only thing that saves this drop-in is the fact that it has multiple settings, which I don't have on the 6P Malkoff and only have a 60 lumen option on the T1. But as far as pure light goes, the T1 and Malkoff rule. The strobe is nice, as I wanted a brighter strobe than what my L2D CE had.

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with it however. I like the Malkoff as a EDC light, but I like the different options of the R2. I have to mount one onto either the AR or the shotty, as the BOG will be going onto the other. And I'd prefer to keep the 6P for it's strength and crenelated bezel (one of the G2's will have one as well). Ah decisions, decisions. . .

Oh and back to my other question, why doesn't the A19 battery extension work on a G2?

Last edited:

Raybo

Enlightened
Judging by your post count, you aren't yet "immersed" in the the culture of CPF.
So first, :welcome:

And then some advice I think you'll find helpful is that you should rarely trust lumens claims.
Before you decide to spend real money, do a bunch of searching on CPF and read up on what others who have spent the money before you have to say. They may do you an invaluable service of "taking one for the team" by wasting their own money but helping others to spend theirs more wisely.

Then a second bit of advice is that you already have the best drop-in available... the Malkoff. Unless you simply "need" another drop-in, I would wait until Gene starts building his with the brighter emitters that will be coming available. If you need another, look to Malkoff again.

My .02, and worth every penny. :wave:

Post count???

MEH!

Ray

Latest posts