IRT Super 6

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im considering this drop-in for my next luxeon light. If people here who own one could give me more information, it'd be appreciated! Beam comparison shots would also be appreciated! Would this be a good camping/hiking in the woods light?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a comparison between the Inretech Super6 and a MadMax Minimag.
Comparing the Super6 to any normal flashlight is difficult, because it is truly and apple-orange kind of thing. I call my Super6 a "swathlight". It is not a lantern, and it is not like any flashlight I've seen. It just happens to be in a flashlight case. (Most, if not all, Super6's describe themselves as being a swathlight trapped in a flashlight's body.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

That being said, lets move on to the swath/beamshot comparison...

fc4dd35c.jpg

This shot was taken with both lights hanging from my ceiling fan, about 7 ½" from the ceiling. The Super6 is actually closer to the ceiling because it's head is taller than the Minimag.
Both lights have reasonably fresh alkalines, and the Super6 is being overdriven in a 4 C cell Mag-lite. That color difference photographed reasonably well. The MadMax is a menthol white luxeon (greenie), and the Super6 is brilliantly white.

My Super6 casts an interesting swath with "Spirograph" like artifacts. I only notice this when looking at something very light colored. It doesn't at all hinder the usage of the light.

For what you mentioned, a camping/hiking in the woods light, it would excel.
The swath from the Super6 is cast 20-30 ft., so it is not the typical piercing beam of a flashlight, however, it does what it was designed to do well.
Carried at your side, it will illuminate almost your entire visual field. If it mounted closer to the lens of the Mag-lite, it would cover the periphery as well.

fc5cd8e4.jpg

The only improvements I would make to the module, if I could, would be an extension tube that screws onto the Mag's bulb receptacle, that would push the luxeons out to about 3/16 or ¼" from the lens. And, if the holes the luxeons were mounted in were to be countersinked, and painted with a silver reflective paint, I think more light could be coaxed out of the module. The circuit board as it is, appears to absorb the light emitted from the sides of the luxeons.

The Super6 is a cool light. It would be a Chick Magnet if:
a. It was a magnet.
b. Chicks were made of iron. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Also see this.

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SUPER6 (6x1w) and its "big brother" MEGA6 (6x5w) are designed as "floodlights" they are designed to put out a lot of light in a wide field - camping is a good use for them; or when you want light and don't want to worry about pointing them

I once replaced a fuel filter on my brothers 9000lb monster truck and it was nice to have a wide amount of light not having to "point it"

For a more typical flashlight operation, I would suggest the TriLight (3x1w) and its "big brother" HELIOS (3x5w); they provide a focused beam

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
INRETECH said:
I once replaced a fuel filter on my brothers 9000lb monster truck and it was nice to have a wide amount of light not having to "point it"

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I got mine. I thought that it would work well just set in a bay or wheelwell, and illuminating everything.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have an OLD style Super6, which I'm supposed to return for a newer model but haven't done yet - shame on me!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

See it here if you want my take on this unique and radiant light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:
I have an OLD style Super6, which I'm supposed to return for a newer model...

[/ QUOTE ]
I used mine for illuminating for taking some pictures the other night, I got the idea from you. It worked very well.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll just say that if you used this for camping, you won't be disappointed...

It's a great floodlight for a campsite. Quite good for walks at night, too. Your whole path would be bathed in light...

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello MTFD17,

I am an inspector. I find myself in dark areas quite often. I am planing on using the Super 6 to give me some general area lighting while I use another light to pinpoint the items I am looking at. When you are crawling inside a pipe, it is nice to have a general area light.

The Super 6 just gives out a wall of light. I crawled under the house to check the plumbing and the Super 6 lit up the whole crawl space.

The Super 6 does not have a beam. It's kind of like a cloudy day. I prefer the TriLight when I am trying to identify something, but that is because the TriLight has a beam that I can direct towards what I am looking at.

I prefer the TriLight for every day flashlight use, but the Super 6 is best for a lantern type of general lighting. I was looking at the Coleman Northstar electric lantern for camping, but decided that the Super 6 could do a similar job.

I was looking under a truck in daylight and was not impressed with the output of the Super 6 at all. That night my opinion changed. The Super 6 flooded the underside of the truck with light, but I still used my ARC LSH-P for detail investagation.

I understand that some people utilize 4 C cells in both the Super 6 and the TriLight, but I have not tried that... yet. The extra cell would make everything brighter, but check with Mike at Inretec before proceeding.

It is hard to describe a beamless light. I hope you can get a feel of this light from the several replies here.

Tom

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the beam shots I have seen have been fairly close (ie. < 1ft) Id like to see some shots at a couple ft up to maybe 10ft away compared to an ARC LS of some sort? Or if someone can provide a beam shot comparison to a Lightwave 4000. Is it possible?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
super6-3.jpg

This image is from The LED Museum's site. It is a "beamshot" from, I'd guess, 5-7 feet. The review of the Super6 is here.

As stated, there is no beam to the Super6, it is a swath, a flood. It illuminates larger than a 90° area.
As I said before, when held at my side, it will illuminate almost the entire periphery of my vision.

A beamshot comparison of the Super6 with another light, would look like a photo of a lit room, with a flashlight shining at the wall.

Hey Craig, what's that yellow dinosaur on the shelf, above the boobmox?
(Boobmox is shankus-ese, for boombox.)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
shankus said:
Hey Craig, what's that yellow dinosaur on the shelf, above the boobmox?
(Boobmox is shankus-ese, for boombox.)

[/ QUOTE ]
I still call them "ghetto blasters" - maybe "boobmox" is better... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
When you said "yellow dinosaur" I was looking for a stuffed digimon; perhaps Armadillomon or Agumon...but then I saw the Millennium 3 Coast Guard flashlight up there above the ghetto blaster. I don't know what the square yellow thing is. But the flashlight is reviewed right here if you're interested in it. The light has 3 white LEDs in a PR-type bulb base. And I think it runs from 3 "D" cells.