Noob Q: Surefire Z2 drop in's and battery help

MLDK

Newly Enlightened
Hey all. This is a fascinating forum, and one that's stacked full of knowledge. In fact, a bit too much for me to take in :huh:. I've got a couple of q's for you guys...

Firstly, I'm tempted to get a Surefire Z2 for Police duty. I know bang-for-buck wise Surefire aren't always the top choice, but I figure I can't go wrong with them. However I see there are drop in modules available to up the lumen output. I've looked at the specs of several and can't work out what I should be looking for. If I get a high output drop in module, seeing as the Z2 doesn't have an adjustable output, and I saying goodbye to having a reasonable amount of runtime?

Secondly, batteries. I used to think they were all pretty much the same, but apparently not :laughing:. If the Z2 takes 2 x 123A lithiums, what are the best choices for these? Can I expect similar performance when using rechargables vs non-rechargables, and do they work out any cheaper in the long run?

Thanks everyone!

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

I think you've made a great choice with the Z2 :eek:

As for LED drop-ins, the only one I have any real experience with is SureFire's P60L. However it sounds like it might do the trick for you as it was designed with runtime in mind (11 hours of total output). You'll still be going from 60 lumens with the Z2's stock P60 to 80 lumens with the P60L. A lot of third party LED drop-ins value having the absolute brightest output at the expense of runtime. For a duty light, runtime will probably be more important.

As for batteries...be careful. A lot of people are tempted to save a few pennies by buying cheap batteries, usually of Chinese manufacture. They're simply not as good and won't perform as well as a reputable, US made brand (SureFire, Duracell). Perhaps more importantly there have been quite a few instances documented on CPF of cheap batteries exploding in flashlights. If you search you should be able to find the relevant threads.

Personally I would recommend sticking with SF123A. I'm not a fan of rechargeables, on the whole. I like to know that when I pick up a light that it's going to turn on, not leave me in the dark because its rechargeable batteries have discharged whilst not in use. This is just my experience, and your mileage may vary. In fact, it probably will if the Z2 is a duty light and will therefore be used (and charged) on a regular basis.

Regards,
Tempest

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Z2 will make an excellent host, however the Surefire P60 dropin modules are pretty lousy. They don't maintain that 80 lumen brightness for very long.
To make a light which performs well you're going to be stuck investing more money into a quality dropin. Cream of the crop around here is the Malkoff M60 dropin. Mr Malkoff has 3 different models which offer full brightness (M60) a good balance between brightness and runtime (M60L) and one devoted just to runtime (M60LL).
As for CR123 cells, for a duty light I'd stick to those and not worry about rechargibles. I had CR123's provided for my 6P, but if you have to buy your own, there are a couple high quality brands like the SF brand and Panasonic brand which can be found for reasonable prices on on the internet.

PseudoFed

Enlightened
+1 on the Malkoffs. I just got an M60 AND an M60F--I have two Z2s in use, which I've modded to include strike bezels. For $49 the Malkoffs will amaze you...

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
M60 module is an absolute blaster, very well focused. It may well be a bit too bright for close-in work as is, but a diffuser or variable tailcap will go a long way towards taming that beast.

jarris50

Newly Enlightened
MLDK,
I use a Z2 with a Malkoff M60 in it as my primary duty light. The light is amazing. Right now most of my shift has switched to this set up. I use AW's rechargable batteries and get about 50 min of runtime. In my mind there is no better set up out there.

Stay safe,
Jarris

IcantC

Enlightened
Z2 is my primary light and a great one. I run it with a Deree light Q5 dropin and RCRs.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Z2 Incan stock runs for around an hour on the low output lamp. Most LEDs run at least an hour at full regulation so you would already have more runtime then the stock light.

Rechargeable batteries have less capacity then CR123s(so less runtime, but they are rechargeable). The Incan bulb will pop with 2 RCR123s because of the higher voltage. LED drop-ins have a circuit to drop the voltage to the right voltage(usually 3.5-3.7v) for the light to run so as long as the circuit can handle 8.4v minimal, you can use Rechargeable batteries.

For good output and good runtime, the Malkoff M60L seems like a good choice.

:welcome:

bouncer

Enlightened
As everyone else has said good choice with the Z2 at the top of the led forum page here at Cpf there is a sticky for p60 sized drop ins any of those should work in the Z2 the Malkoff is excellent but kind of hard to get due to limited production for now anyway. Bug out gear wolf eyes , Lumens factory are all good options with rechargeable batteries.

And welcome to CPF

Last edited:

roymail

Enlightened
You should always get what you really want. However, I'd like to make a practical suggestion. Take a look at a SF G3 or 9P with a Malkoff M60L.

Here's why... the G3 is tough for police work and gives you a little more grip to hold onto or to tuck under your arm.

And, the M60L is 140+ lumens for 4 hrs and is plenty bright. I think it's the perfect compromise between brightness and runtime.

Also, the G3 (or 9P) will accomodate 2 x 17500 Li-Ion rechargeables.

Although the M60 offers more lumens, it's at the expense of runtime, 1.5 hrs. I like the Z2, but in your situation I'd go with one of these others for the reasons I've stated.