wanting to upgrade my survior

eastcoastdannynow

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone. I use a streamlight survior led which has been modified with a p4 emiter already. I am curious to know if anyone has droped a p7 into one yet, and if so were you satisfied with it. I am a firefighter and need a reliable and bright light with at least decent run time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Two questions in particular that i have is how much throw would it have sence it has a deep reflector, and would there be enough heatsinking. Thank you in advance.
Daniel

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The P7 is brighter but due to the larger emitting surface(it is essentially 4 Seoul P4s in one package) you will get a wider beam then the P4. The same input power will give you less throw but a but more output, but to get the same amount of throw as what you have now the heat from the LED is probably too much for the LED module to handle and the LED will overheat if left on for a certain peroid of time.

The P7 isn't a totally new LED with new technology. It is just 4 Seoul P4s in one package.

eastcoastdannynow

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your response. One question i have being a novice is how easy would it be to drop in this emiter. To upgrade to the p4 i simply installed a new emiter 1 for 1 for old emiter. But i am unsure if i would need more hardware( ie resister or regulators and such) for the p7. I measured the voltage in the p4 in the current light as 3.4v. This number may be a little low because at the time my batteries were a little used. And i think the p7 sold at at DX are driven at 3.6-3.7v. Thanks again

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P7 is a lot bigger than P4, even though doesn't appears so on photo. First you'll have to make sure there's enough area on the LED module to mount it, then you'll have to enlarge reflector opening, but then you'll have to move the reflector back to catch all the light.

Now to power it, p4 is usually driven at 700 to 1000 mA, but p7 needs 2800 mA, so you'll need a driver and battery that can supply that much power. All in all it's too much trouble to set up one up in suvivor unless you enjoy tinkering stuff.