Advice on which Nitecore EX10 to buy?

GMWIGGS

Newly Enlightened
Hello all!:wave:

I think I am pathetically obsessed with flashlights and knives!:duh2::duh2::duh2::grin2:

Anyways, I apologize in advance if this kind of thread has already been done to death here. After all, I am a Noob!

My question is this: I am going to order a Nitecore EX10. I have a D10 Q5 and really like it. However, due to my flashlight obsession, 1 Nitecore light just ain't enough!:D Of course the 2 choices are the Cree Q5 or the Golden Dragon plus.

Which one would you purchase and for what reasons?

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF.:welcome:

They are coming out with light that uses 2 AAs soon.

cheetokhan

Enlightened
I went with the EX10GD.
My reasons-
1-Already have many Cree lights, but never heard of a Golden Dragon before and I like shiny, new things:D
2-Wanted a small around-the-house light with a soft focused beam with a wide, smooth hotspot. This light REALLY delivers in this respect. Mine is very much NOT a throw light, but it's not a full flood light either.
3- Got excited by all the buzz on CPF about the EX10GD :laughing:

Ctrain

Enlightened
interesting.... I have both and still can't decide which i like better.
My Q5 has an awesome beam... more of a spot. where as my GDP is more even but probably throws further (only slightly)
My GDP also seems to be a bit more solid...

I'd honestly suggest go for the GDP... un actually Q5... nah... GDP... or Q5

GET BOTH

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking the same thing. I'd like to add an Golden Dragon OSRAM LED to my collection. I have an Extreme SS Q5 cren bezel, It's great!!!:party:
I have it set to lowest low and that HIGH! I EDC that light on my belt. Recently I have been impressed with the latest AA/14500 lights. I think it makes sense to have a decent light that is AA friendly.

PseudoFed

Enlightened
I have the same question about which one to buy. I did a couple searches and can't find a thorough review comparing the two. Has anyone compared the two in a review? Thanks...

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I have the same question about which one to buy. I did a couple searches and can't find a thorough review comparing the two. Has anyone compared the two in a review? Thanks...

Good timing that selfbuilt has just put up such a review

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/206986

Don't let the apparent artifacts in the beamshots fool you, the GDP beam is far smoother than the Cree.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the Q5 EX10, just the GDplus. I am a bit disappointed in the EX10 GDPLUS. I don't think the beam is all that great. Instead of grey rings, you have colored rings, which to me are far more noticable. If the color rendition were REALLY better, I wouldn't care. The GDPLUS would then be the clear winner. Frankly, I DON"T see any improvement in color rendition over my NDI Q5.

The other thing to remember is there seems to be a bigger LED lottery with the GDPLUS than with the other Q5's that Nitecore sells. I have the GDPLUS versions of the D10, EX10, and NDI. They are all have slightly different tints some colder than others. My EX10 GD+ fortunately has the warmest tint of the three, which makes the yellow corona less objectionable. However, my EX10 doesn't seem quite bright as the colder D10 and NDI GD+ versions as I have. I don't have a way of measuring the output differences and the difference may more to due with tint differences than with actual brightness differences.

So what's the bottom line, here? If I had to do it all over again, I would probably get the Q5. I don't think the supposed CRI advantage outweights the tint lottery you will be playing with the Golden dragon. I really don't like the color changes from hotspot to spill.
The only thing really going for the new EX10 GD plus is the the thicker stainless bezel. However, I would imagine future shipments of the Q5 from Nitecore will probably have that improvement, too.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all!:wave:

I think I am pathetically obsessed with flashlights and knives!:duh2::duh2::duh2::grin2:

Anyways, I apologize in advance if this kind of thread has already been done to death here. After all, I am a Noob!

My question is this: I am going to order a Nitecore EX10. I have a D10 Q5 and really like it. However, due to my flashlight obsession, 1 Nitecore light just ain't enough!:D Of course the 2 choices are the Cree Q5 or the Golden Dragon plus.

Which one would you purchase and for what reasons?
If you are truly obsessed with flashlights, then get a Muyshondt light before thinking about the EX10...

PseudoFed

Enlightened
This thread is timely. I just ordered an EX10 (Q5) from 4sevens. $54.28 shipped after discount. Can't beat that.

I decided on Q5 over GD after reading Selfbuilt's review from today (or last night?). I've very pleased with the Q5s in my new L0D and P2D--the white is very neutral. I don't want to play the GD lottery which Selfbuilt alludes to. And the beam characteristics of the Q5 are not a problem for me. So, one more cree it is!

superflytnt

Enlightened
The only thing that scared me about the new GD's is this review of a pre-production sample NDI where, on 14500's there was a pretty rapid blue-shift indicating an overheated emitter. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/205663

If you read further down he gets a full production sample and it exibits no blue-shift but I wonder if they aren't driving that Osram pretty close to the edge with LiIon's. They are acually underdriving the Cree but I'm not familiar enough with the GD to know what they can handle.

it sounds like they got it sorted out with the production units, in any case, but I'd still go with the Cree if it were me.

BTW, the NDI, D10 and EX10 all use similar drive levels...............

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing that scared me about the new GD's is this review of a pre-production sample NDI where, on 14500's there was a pretty rapid blue-shift indicating an overheated emitter. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/205663

If you read further down he gets a full production sample and it exibits no blue-shift but I wonder if they aren't driving that Osram pretty close to the edge with LiIon's. They are acually underdriving the Cree but I'm not familiar enough with the GD to know what they can handle.

it sounds like they got it sorted out with the production units, in any case, but I'd still go with the Cree if it were me.

BTW, the NDI, D10 and EX10 all use similar drive levels...............

For what it is worth, I noticed a bit of a color shift to the blue side with my D10 GD+ running on 14500 cells. I noticed no color shift with my EX10 GD+ using a R123, or my NDI GD+ using a 14500.

Alan_P

Newly Enlightened
I have a D10 Q5 and a E10 GDP. I am using NiMh in the D10. I took them out in the back yard and did a quick visual comparison. I could not tell any difference in brightness or tint.

Alan

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a couple of nice reviews in the flashlight review section.