M2 Question ANYONE??

Geminidan

Newly Enlightened
I have an incoming M2, I have an extra R2 cree sitting in the drawer will I be able to put this in witout having to install some kind of copper washer like you do when you install a Malkoff into a shock isolated head???? also any other places to get higher powered Cree drop in for it???tx Dan..ps I posted this on the other side but I was told too move it to here!!!!:ohgeez::confused:

Last edited:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, I'd dump the shock isolated bezel. No need for it with LED's. In fact, it inhibits heat transfer. Get a C2 bezel instead. As far as higher outputs, the drop-in is probably driving the LED pretty hard at 1A. Anything higher will generate more heat than light. Those drop-ins are really not optimum for getting the heat from the module to the body of the light. Use aluminum foil to get a better heat transfer.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Not sure if you need a "copper washer" with the R2. Gene Malkoff says it is necessary for his drop ins. If you insist on using a drop in in the M2, get one of Gene's lower output modules, such as M60LL, or M60L. He builds a lot of metal around his modules, and current to LED is in the 500-200mA range using these lower L modules.

Bill

TJx

Newly Enlightened
I have a C3 body that I put a M2 head on with a M60 drop-in.
I emailed Gene about the heat issue a while back, here's his response:

"While the M2 doesn't have as good a capacity to dissipate heat as a non shock isolated head, it will work fine"

Geminidan

Newly Enlightened
Well thanks for your responses, since I already have the M60 and bought the M2 I will just have to make it work or find somone selling an C3 head!!!!!I emailed Malkoff for the washer just in case...tx Dan:thinking: